U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:23 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,466,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Sav858 just doesn't like me because I said bad things about his precious city of San Diego a looooong time ago. And ever since then, he attacks me every time. He's one of those people who feels like he must defend San Diego from all critisism.
People say negative things about SD on here plenty but I don't "attack" them or call them out b/c for the most part they are not extreme exaggerations and stereotypes you like to portray. Your view of San Diego is so warped and off base its ridiculous. And anyone who spends a few minutes looking through your profile can get a good sense of what type of person you are and realize that you have little credibility in what you say. And the only time you even come into the San Diego forum is to complain about the people and exaggerate to the point of it being ridiculous, so that is why I "attack" you in the SD forum b/c that is all you do, complain about SD and its people.

I don't defend San Diego from all the criticism and anyone who follows my posts will know that, not everyone likes this city and that's fine, to each their own. And I can see why some people don't like it, I may not agree with them but I can see why they may think what they do such as how its boring, the weather is monotonous, too suburban, etc.... BUT with you and a few select other posters, you only focus on negatives and exaggerate with BS stereotypes about them a lot and you have just straight up lied and made up things in the past.

I have no problem calling you out on your BS when I see it. Such as in that previous thread where I pointed out another one of your many contradictions, about how you like living in Co but hate it too Or how you seem to say the same crap no matter where you move, how everyone seems to be pretentious, elitist, materialistic, etc... You hammered how that was unique in SD yet you have found it elsewhere too. And I suspect no matter where you go you will have the same off base complaints over and over. Some people, like you, need to realize its not the place thats the problem its the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 01:30 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,858,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I suggest you join the Peace Corps, or go to Africa/Asia and volunteer, and/or work for little-to-nothing and just have your room/board paid. Use this time in your life as a learning experience.

Sure, you've already been overseas, but now it's time to go back--maybe this will be your life's calling.

I'd do this in a second if I were still single and responsibility-less!!

Maybe now is your time to give back to the world. Learn and experience the world. If you can't swing going overseas again, do something here in the US: join Habitat for Humanity or volunteer in other organizations in cities across the US. Only problem with that would be cost of living. At least overseas in poor countries, cost of living would be dirt cheap.
Actually I was thinking about doing the Peace Corps thing a long time ago. Maybe i'll look back into it. It looks like a great thing to do. And they send you to some really interesting countries.

But the two year commitment is a long time, that's what turned me away from it. I want the freedom to leave anytime.

And then I found ways to go overseas without joining the Peace Corps, where you can leave anytime, and you make a lot more money Yeah, it's not as altruististic as the Peace Corps, but i've got bills to pay.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:34 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,065,622 times
Is it really easy to find a job overseas? I would expect that to be even harder than getting a job in America.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:51 PM

179 posts, read 570,888 times
It is not easy finding a job overseas. Not only do you have to jump through miles of red tape to get a work visa, but their economies are also hurting at the moment and I'm sure they'd rather hire a countryman than someone who has jumped ship from their country.

I have a few friends scattered around Europe and Asia and they are all struggling to get by (granted one of them is an illegal in Europe right now). The best advice I could give, since I have also lived outside of the country for a couple years on different occasions, is to join an English Teachers program and get shipped over to East Asia. Not only do they pay for room and board (in a lot of instances) their wages are more than fair AND you'll get to eat some of the best food ever.

As for your financial troubles in Denver at the moment, I'd suggest getting a second or third job. We've all been there once we realized that one job isn't going to cut it. You won't have as much free time to post morose comments on Citydata, but you will have money to save up to get you to that greener pasture you dream of.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
People say negative things about SD on here plenty but I don't "attack" them or call them out b/c for the most part they are not extreme exaggerations and stereotypes you like to portray. Your view of San Diego is so warped and off base its ridiculous. And anyone who spends a few minutes looking through your profile can get a good sense of what type of person you are and realize that you have little credibility in what you say. And the only time you even come into the San Diego forum is to complain about the people and exaggerate to the point of it being ridiculous, so that is why I "attack" you in the SD forum b/c that is all you do, complain about SD and its people.

I don't defend San Diego from all the criticism and anyone who follows my posts will know that, not everyone likes this city and that's fine, to each their own. And I can see why some people don't like it, I may not agree with them but I can see why they may think what they do such as how its boring, the weather is monotonous, too suburban, etc.... BUT with you and a few select other posters, you only focus on negatives and exaggerate with BS stereotypes about them a lot and you have just straight up lied and made up things in the past.

I have no problem calling you out on your BS when I see it. Such as in that previous thread where I pointed out another one of your many contradictions, about how you like living in Co but hate it too Or how you seem to say the same crap no matter where you move, how everyone seems to be pretentious, elitist, materialistic, etc... You hammered how that was unique in SD yet you have found it elsewhere too. And I suspect no matter where you go you will have the same off base complaints over and over. Some people, like you, need to realize its not the place thats the problem its the person.
Wow, that was fast, you're watching this like a hawk huh?

In my totally honest opinion. I think San Diego really is a strange place and most of the stereotypes about it are totally true. I think that a lot of San Diegans actually put out an effort to fit into a stereotype and join a clique, thus perpetuating the stereotypes and making them stronger. Most people out there are really going for a certain style and subculture. And in SD, people tend to act really aggressive and rude. There are big gang problems. There are lots of issues there, but most Cali cities have these same things going. And that's why so many people are getting out of there. It's no secret.

That's my opinion, lots and lots of people agree. San Diego has a very strange thing going on and when you live there for a while you really start to notice it. I know lots and lots of people who hate SD with a passion, or they just laugh at it for how absurd it is. That's just my honest take on it. It's a blunt opinion, and since you like SD a lot it offends you, but I don't know what to say about that.

SD has a lot of extremely bad things going on. But it also has some very good things going on too. I had a lot of fun there. But SD is one of the only places that really bothered me deeply and felt really unnatural. The culture there is just hard to deal with for lots of people.

This is a website about cities, so I come here and critique cities strongly. Thats what this forum is for. I don't say anything that I don;t believe.

And I don't have much of a problem with Colorado. There are little things about it that suck, things about it that I notice, things that I don't like, but nothing too major. At the same time, there is nothing amazing or spectacular about it to me (besides the nearby mountains). It's just mediocre for the most part, very average and normal. Peaceful and mellow. Uneventful and quiet.

My main problem with Colorado is that i'm not finding a great job here.

And that's MY opinion about this place, i'm entitled to it and i'll express it bluntly.

When I talk about San Diego, i'm gonna offend somebody because I have very strong views about that place. So I think i'll just stay away from it from now on.

Like Jack Nicholson once said "You can't handle the truth!".

Old 12-23-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Is it really easy to find a job overseas? I would expect that to be even harder than getting a job in America.
There are lots and lots of opportunites in Asia and it's pretty easy to get over there. That's where I was. The visa process isn't too complex, but for some of the countries it's a lot worse. I hear that China is a real hassle. But Korea, Japan, Thailand, all pretty simple.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:07 PM

3,703 posts, read 8,794,168 times
Quote:
Actually I was thinking about doing the Peace Corps thing a long time ago. Maybe i'll look back into it. It looks like a great thing to do. And they send you to some really interesting countries.

But the two year commitment is a long time, that's what turned me away from it. I want the freedom to leave anytime.

And then I found ways to go overseas without joining the Peace Corps, where you can leave anytime, and you make a lot more money Yeah, it's not as altruististic as the Peace Corps, but i've got bills to pay.
I hear you about the bills to pay! I didn't know the Peace Corps was a 2 year commitment. Wow, that could change things.

Would you ever join the military? Look into that if open to it. I joined the Air Force when I graduated high school in 1990, and spent 4 years on active duty. My intent was to get away from home, and have it paid! Well, I accomplished that, but didn't travel like I thought I would (by choice). I wound up being sent to San Antonio, TX, Biloxi, MS, and Tucson, AZ. Would have been cool had I travelled some--but I turned down a couple of assignments to stay in Tucson and work a second job! Wish I'd gone, looking back on it.

Anyway, that's an option if you are open to it. But if not, I'd completely understand! Maybe the volunteer/travel route would work best.

How about moving to a country that is most lenient with work visas (have no idea which), and researching that route? Maybe you could work/volunteer there for a while.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:13 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,175,928 times
I was in your situation four years ago. I never got the chance to move elsewhere though because the job offers just never came in. I went back home. I found a job, saved up a little money, and moved out a year and some change later. Sometimes you don't want to face what may be best, but if you move back home, you'll give yourself the time to become more financially sound so you can make that move again. Also, moving home would give you the opportunity to visit certain cities without making any commitments. That way, you know you won't make a mistake. The economy is bad and it's getting tougher for recent college grads to find jobs...give yourself a little time and things will take shape

Or you could always move to Dubai...I just read an article on that city last night

Old 12-23-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
I was in your situation four years ago. I never got the chance to move elsewhere though because the job offers just never came in. I went back home. I found a job, saved up a little money, and moved out a year and some change later. Sometimes you don't want to face what may be best, but if you move back home, you'll give yourself the time to become more financially sound so you can make that move again. Also, moving home would give you the opportunity to visit certain cities without making any commitments. That way, you know you won't make a mistake. The economy is bad and it's getting tougher for recent college grads to find jobs...give yourself a little time and things will take shape

Or you could always move to Dubai...I just read an article on that city last night

Haha. It's funny that you mention Dubai, that's near the top of my list. Sounds like a an interesting city for sure huh? But I also hear that the visa regs there are incredibly strict.

Personally, i'm thinking that if I can choose between living with parents, or going overseas and making cash. Going overseas sounds more interesting. My choice is becoming more and more clear.....

Old 12-23-2008, 02:21 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,466,902 times
Quote:
And in SD, people tend to act really aggressive and rude.
Yeah, that is why SD has a reputation of being really laid back and friendly. Most people on here say the exact opposite of you. Like I said, your opinions and perceptions are so off base and ridiculous and very few people share them, only other malcontents express such BS.
Quote:
There are big gang problems.
Yeah and our very low crime rate and status as the nations safest city over a million reflects that
Quote:
that's my opinion, lots and lots of people agree.
No they don't, just b/c you can find a few other malcontents to join in on some hatefest for San Diego doesn't mean "lots of people agree". You find many more people that would say the opposite.
Quote:
I know lots and lots of people who hate SD with a passion
Lots of people hate lots of cities for various reaons, more times than not they tend to be pretty angry themselves. As I said, just go through your profile and anyone can see what type of person you are. You have problems with EVERY place you go.
Quote:
It's a blunt opinion
It's also a off base and exaggerated opinion thrown in with some lies in there too.
Quote:
This is a website about cities, so I come here and critique cities strongly. Thats what this forum is for. I don't say anything that I don;t believe.
Don't confuse "critiquing" with constantly complaining and exaggerating along with lying.
Quote:
When I talk about San Diego, i'm gonna offend somebody because I have very strong views about that place. So I think i'll just stay away from it from now on.
ike Jack Nicholson once said "You can't handle the truth!".
I can handle the truth if you actually spoke it, but you do not. You've lied before on top of constantly exaggerating and flat out making up stuff.

You offend people b/c you are so off base and exaggerate about the dumbest stereotypes. Just as you have with Denver, vegaspilgrim seems to have grown tired of your same old BS like I have. You say the same crap over and over about wherever you go yet you still don't seem to comprehend the fact that you are the problem and not these cities you move to. But its a lot easier to blame a city and all its people rather than to take a long hard look in the mirror. Sadly I doubt you will ever find a place you are content with, at least not in the US.

Go ahead and keep speaking your mind, that is what I do. But its just off base and out there people like me will continue to call your BS out b/c that is all it is, BS.

Last edited by sav858; 12-23-2008 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or