U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:29 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,854,365 times

Advertisements

[quote=sav858;6685060]Yeah, that is why SD has a reputation of being really laid back and friendly. Most people on here say the exact opposite of you. Like I said, your opinions and perceptions are so off base and ridiculous and very few people share them, only other malcontents express such BS.
Yeah and our very low crime rate and status as the nations safest city over a million reflects that
No they don't, just b/c you can find a few other malcontents to join in on some hatefest for San Diego doesn't mean "lots of people agree". You find many more people that would say the opposite.
Lots of people hate lots of cities for various reaons, more times than not they tend to be pretty angry themselves. As I said, just go through your profile and anyone can see what type of person you are. If you problems with EVERY place you go.
It's also a off base and exaggerated opinion thrown in with some lies in there too.
Don't confuse "critiquing" with constantly complai

Last edited by FunkyMonk; 12-23-2008 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 02:39 PM

15,462 posts, read 25,409,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Allright dude. You win and I lose. You're right and i'm wrong. Can we end this BS now?
fine by me, just realize I'm expressing my opinion just as you are, no difference in that respect. Plus I had no plans to respond to this thread originally until I was dragged into it and had to defend myself.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:28 PM

104 posts, read 257,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I hear you about the bills to pay! I didn't know the Peace Corps was a 2 year commitment. Wow, that could change things.

Would you ever join the military? Look into that if open to it. I joined the Air Force when I graduated high school in 1990, and spent 4 years on active duty. My intent was to get away from home, and have it paid! Well, I accomplished that, but didn't travel like I thought I would (by choice). I wound up being sent to San Antonio, TX, Biloxi, MS, and Tucson, AZ. Would have been cool had I travelled some--but I turned down a couple of assignments to stay in Tucson and work a second job! Wish I'd gone, looking back on it.

Anyway, that's an option if you are open to it. But if not, I'd completely understand! Maybe the volunteer/travel route would work best.

How about moving to a country that is most lenient with work visas (have no idea which), and researching that route? Maybe you could work/volunteer there for a while.
Ha! This guy obviously doesn't have the spine to join the military.Plus he's too infested with Anti-American attitude to defend hiscountry militarily. He's soft, what do you expect from a journalism major!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:57 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,781,044 times
Amigo - you are young, enjoy the adventure. The US economy is going to be in the pits for several years (IMO). Go back overseas and see what comes up. It is much more interesting than McDonald's
America. This is a time for you to explore, take risks and savor what life may bring you. My only regrets in life are what I didn't do, not what I ended up doing. Be bold, have faith in yourself. Conduct yourself always with absolute personal honesty, do the job (whatever it may be) to the best of your ability and seek friends who enhance your life. We all die, my friend, life is a journey, not a destination. Go for it. Luck to you.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Amigo - you are young, enjoy the adventure. The US economy is going to be in the pits for several years (IMO). Go back overseas and see what comes up. It is much more interesting than McDonald's
America. This is a time for you to explore, take risks and savor what life may bring you. My only regrets in life are what I didn't do, not what I ended up doing. Be bold, have faith in yourself. Conduct yourself always with absolute personal honesty, do the job (whatever it may be) to the best of your ability and seek friends who enhance your life. We all die, my friend, life is a journey, not a destination. Go for it. Luck to you.
Thanks for the words man. That might just be the best advice i've gotten yet.

I just had a deep talk with my friend. I decided that i'm gonna go back to Asia. My path has become clear.

It is hard to be away from family and friends. But I gotta do what I gotta do. It's time to get back over there and move forward with my life.

When I was in Asia, every day was profound, amazing and mind-boggling. I need some more of that.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murof View Post
Ha! This guy obviously doesn't have the spine to join the military.Plus he's too infested with Anti-American attitude to defend hiscountry militarily. He's soft, what do you expect from a journalism major!
Thanks, I take that as a compliment

By the way, i'm not Anti-American. I just see the entire world as an opportunity and I will leave America in a second if I need to. This world has so many interesting and amazing places to go, too many people pass up the opportunity to enjoy them.

I am not a nationalist. I am not a racist. I am just a human being trying to live the good life before I die. And if that life exists for me on the other side of the world, that's where you will find me.

I'm definantly not soft. I just choose to fight my own battles. And I choose exactly which battles I wil fight, and which I will walk away from.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:45 AM

2,035 posts, read 4,523,993 times
FunkyMonk,

While checking in a post i placed in another thread in this end of the US forum, i stumbled upon your thread..and felt quite compelled to chime in..

Your journey sounds quite similar to many people ive known,except that it sounds like you've chosen NOT to give up on what you want,whether here or overseas..It also sounds similar to my own journey,twoards ones' own goals.

I too grew up out here on the west coast,just a few hours north..and never quite liked it,and never understood why until i lived out of state,after high school..and got to see everything else out there.After all id experiance,id come to see a better place to call home..

As for my own experiance, while i grew up in the shadow of IBM and APPLE, i was never much interested in pursuing such a career.. My interests revolved around the things i enjoyed the most,which were/are much more down to earth,so to say,just look where most of my posts/threads are located..anyhow,just as others have done,id test different waters along my career path,just to see if what i really should pursue was where i was called to be..

I totally agree that working in a resteraunt isn't where its at,..and the retail buisiness; Oh the stories i could share...but,during the years id spend in Ohio,id come to realize exactly what i should be doing,frankly due to the fact that id come back to it,both when i lived in Ohio,and while in Kansas.

My biggest struggle was where id wish to settle down,when ready to do so...Should i return to CA??,stay in Ohio??..Texas looked ok,but i only visited there a couple times and just never got a great vibe..even though San Antonio and Corpis Christi are nice places...It would be during the road trip to Florida later that year when everything became very clear.

Don't get me wrong,if where i lived in Kansas was alot closer to the ocean,or had a better climate during the winter,id return there..for good. simply Because dispite what many people seem to think,Kansas is a great state,full of down to earth,diverse people..atleast where i lived..and i still miss it..but,..

Ohio was ok, know many good people there but overall,just not my cup of tea...

As for the Golden state...my eyes were opened wide to how different the state is compared to how i saw it while i was growing up ...So many people here now are very consumed by material things,and just aren't as gracious as i remember...everyone is stressed out doing the behind-the-desk 15+ hour a day to survive thing these days..kind of sad to see..

I recently had a cousin in town from Georgia..and her bf who accompanied her. Compared to some of my other cousins,as well as many of the..(but not all) people ive met in the nearly two years ive been back here..he was extremely respectful of where he was staying...never once sitting back and allowing my 85 yr.old grandmother do anything..and she was their host!!..he definately earned my approval,amongst others..

Anyway,while pursuing a career which gives you the means to spend 700k+ on a 2bed,1 bath home with a small yard is just fine..Id rather live somewhere where,if you're gonna spend that kind of money,stretch it as far as it can go..especially since im looking to start my own buisness..

Most of CA is just too wrapped up in over inflated real estate,at least for someone with more humble goals..The one thing which infuriates me the most here is hearing someone say "why would you want to move to Florida..its so much better here" (emphasize the so..)

Now before i get defensive comments from "CA all the way" readers,i know not everyone here thinks this way...no where else ive lived did i hear something like this,as often as here..In fact, people i knew were quite welcoming,or were there from many other places...thats one thing i really enjoyed..let alone all the stories of their experiances elsewhere...

Basically, all im saying is that no one should stop pursuing their life's goals just because of a fear of the unknown,where they came from,or where they'll end up...and i wish you lots of luck as you make the next footsteps down your path,where ever it takes you..it takes courage not to go with the flow and find your "lazy spot" on the river,where you can contribute..And the river doesn't stop at our borders..and in my eyes,this makes you more of an American citizen...because this nation was built on the dreams of explorers,and the pioneering spirit...

Family,if they're family,will be where ever you are,no matter how many miles seperate you...as you stated: " you got to do, what YOU have to do"
and if the people who should support you the most can't quite understand, then the space between will be good..

I'll tell ya, i can't wait to hit the road..and revisit all the awesome scenery along the way,and watch the sun rise over the plains as i come down out of New Mexico..with my Florida home just up the road...

Merry x-mass and good luck..

one last thing id thought id share; One of the neighbors across the street from my Grandparent's shared something a few months back which kind of surprised me..

While they had only recently relocated here from Australia,they were VERY aware of our nations' politics..they mentioned how Mr.Bush was a regular source of comic relief in Australian headlines..and how dissappointed they were that they couldn't vote..to help turn things around.. That amazed me just a bit...a voice of contribution by people some people would say have no reason to speak for America.

..And for the curious, they are a conservative,happily married couple with two girls...and yes,i love my country as well..

Last edited by si33; 12-24-2008 at 05:18 AM..

Old 12-24-2008, 05:11 AM

4,180 posts, read 13,049,526 times
Well, it actually sounds like you have two needs. First, you're broke and not getting responses to resumes. I would start by moving back home with family for cheaper accomodations. Then the other issue is to figure out how to make money and get a job. I would use that time at home to find some cheap job to help financially while you post resumes. That will give you some time to choose the correct one and then go for it. But, meanwhile you're first issue is resolved. With some extra time, you won't rush into a situation you may regret.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:43 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,562,047 times
I think its great you travel around in your mind set... and live in other cities... even up until your 30... so you know what you want, and what you thrive in, even then you still have another 35 years of work until you retire! I just turned 28 and have lived in several cities and traveled in many countries, so I definitely take into mind non U.S. cities to live in as well.
I took around half a year to travel after high school, every summer traveling in university, around half a year to travel after I finished...took a job for a year, quit and traveled a bit, then worked for 3 years in Chicago and just took traveled another half year, now I'm going to grad school.

For me I came away with I really need the urban city life to thrive in, and found where I was growing up was holding me back BIG time... it wasn't a lack of my own effort, it was a lack of options and opportunity!!! I would highly advise going to a city where you can thrive.
In Chicago I was working full time and volunteering for NFP's on the side and also had a great social life. Something I never really experienced in medium sized cities.
In the U.S. I've lived in 4 Florida Cities, SF and Chicago...months at a time in other foreign cities, visited around 30 countries... Definitely thrived in the big cities for me.

Every day there was like a weeks worth of living in another city. Everyday traveling I feel the same way. Being stuck in a lil suburban city is not for me...

I know this is not for everybody as they have families and stuff to tend to, but if you are young and no kids and not married I highly suggest you try out a few flavors and get out of wherever you are now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge outdoors person as well but give me a real city and visits to the country over a smaller mix with strip mall city life and a little bit of country.

If you are broke, there are really many ways to cut back if you haven't already... really watch what you consume I guess... stop buying random stuff, sell all the stuff you never use, cancel your cable, cancel your cell phone contract (get a go phone), pay off all your cc bills, sell your car, get rid of your car insurance... I have been broke several times...but it really isn't that bad if you don't have any bills! It is when you are broke and have bills which sucks. There is really so much stuff you don't need and then you can live life more... People always wondered at the office how I travel all the time on the same salary as them, and it was always a level of consumption issue, coffee everyday, sodas, eating out, going out to the bars, yada yada, cable bills, parking spots. I also eat mostly vegetarian (meat is just too expensive) and buy everything in bulk and cook it from scratch.... it seriously adds up. You can live a much better lifestyle and see the world if you don't need all the "daily comforts". You can also really turn up the pace of your life if you want too.

From other posters advice, and sorry to mess with your head, I wouldn't move back home and save up money, I would just GO... if you want to travel go do it, see where it leaves you... If you want to go to a certain city, GO...but I would advise going to a BIG city with opportunities... u can really live on the cheap if necessary and it will force you to do something with your life. Yeah it might be a little stressful at first, but that is part of life. Moving back in with your parents and just sitting back and looking around is going to keep you in the same patterns of thinking.

Seriously you are still young, you can handle it. If you can't handle it then putting yourself out there will mold you to where you can handle it.
Anyway, wish you good luck.

Last edited by grapico; 12-24-2008 at 09:59 AM..

Old 12-24-2008, 01:34 PM

Great advice people, thanks.

My family lives in an extremely expensive city in CA. It is a place that I feel I cannot make a home in. The place is full of extremely rich people, and very poor violent people without much inbetween. And my family isn't rich, so guess which neighborhood they live in.....

I've watched almost all of my friends move out of there in financial frustration and now they are in Oregon, Washington, Texas, Lousiana, Arizona.....they are scattering EVERYWHERE to get out of Cali. It's interesting to see it really, it is an exodus and there is no limit to where the Californians are going for a change.

So I feel like going over there would probably be a bad move. I worked hard to get away from there, i've been away for a few years and i'd like to keep it that way. Saving money there would be tricky. I was never able to save money well in CA before.

As for living frugal and cheap. I think that I have become the master of doing that. I think I take it a little too far sometimes actually. I know how to be a cheapskate for sure and my bills are at a minimum. I live a lifestyle that lots of American people would not like. I go without lots of things.

I have pretty much made the decision to go overseas again. But I havn't told anyone except one friend of mine. It's Xmas so I don't really want to drop that news on my roomate and family yet. But that's where my heart is.

Last night I realized that my life here in the US is not very glamourous or romantic. I had a moment of clarity, in which I realized that I am living a step or two above homelessness. In this society, I am a peasent, a serf, a wage slave. Hard work is not enough to change this anymore. You gotta do bigger things.

The idea of escaping from this situation brought me a huge feeling of freedom and power. I'm outta here

When I was in Thailand. I met lots of Americans who had been living in Asia for years. They have basically made a permanent home there. Hopping from country to country. Living a life of adventure.

I remember thinking that I would never do that. I was just there to have an experience for a while and go back to the US. I looked at this people with a sense of envy though, even though I thought that I would never do it.

But now I can really see why people choose that life. I can see myself being that guy in a few years. Why not? It's better than what the opportunities here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or