Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:54 PM

178 posts, read 360,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Actually
And then I found ways to go overseas without joining the Peace Corps, where you can leave anytime, and you make a lot more money Yeah, it's not as altruististic as the Peace Corps, but i've got bills to pay.
could you please share some links or ideas / companies that you know of and how to do this? thanks and good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 02:32 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamucil View Post
could you please share some links or ideas / companies that you know of and how to do this? thanks and good luck with your decision.
Just go to the country. And there are tons and tons of jobs out there for a fluent English speaker. Lots of teaching jobs. Plenty of opportunities, you never know what kind of interesting things might pop up.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamucil View Post
Free and low-cost volunteer work in South America
idealist.org - Welcome to Idealist.org - Imagine. Connect. Act.
WWOOF - World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms

Old 06-19-2009, 07:57 PM

113 posts, read 144,945 times
I hear your pain. I graduated from college with a Bachelors degree in Landscape Architecture in 2004 and are unemployed as well.

To sum my situation up; the housing / building market has gone down the toilet and there are no design jobs to speak off. Most of the engineering / LA firms are laying off people or holding tight and making existing employees work longer hours and cutting benefits. Many here may find this hard to believe, but I've sent off a thousand resumes/cover letters inquiring about employment with companies in South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington DC, Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, Kentucky, and Minnesota. NOTHING, NO INTERVIEWS NO PHONE CALLS!!!! ZIP...... Now I'm just being realistic and hoping they keep my info on file long enough to give me shot at a job. Trouble is the markets not really turning around, like the Obama Administration is preaching, and there's so many Architects laid off right now that my name is on a waiting list like 500 pages long.

I've been unemployed for 9 straight months now and retailers / restaurants won't hire me because I have a college degree and are considered a flight risk, when the economy picks up. Funny, I thought a college degree is supposed to improve your prospects, but instead its hurting mine.

Also, anyone notice all the dam Mexicans working at the restaurants, landscaping companies, and road construction jobs. I bet 70-80 percent of those folks are illegal and are hogging up all those labor intensive jobs, that desperate Americans want a piece of. When will our government boot all those squatters out?

I will probably end up moving back in with my parents (living with my GF now in DC). There are no jobs here and none where my parents live, but at least I won't be burning through whats left of my savings once my unemployment runs out. I'm 29 and broke, with no prospects on the horizon. Believe me your not alone, just don't give up. I know its hard but just keep praying AND searching for a job, and if its decent paying and has health insurance you will be set bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.