Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:49 AM

104 posts, read 287,806 times

Advertisements

where's your capitalistic spirit!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 05:27 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,126,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murof View Post
where's your capitalistic spirit!!!!!
It is in a recession along with the economy apparently.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:54 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,587,981 times
funky - best of luck to you - you sound like a very level headed, practical person. If i were in your shoes, I'd either move back to Cali or back overseas.

I would love it if though you could start another thread (maybe not on this particular subforum) about your experiences living overseas how it's changed/shaped your views on America (good, bad and ugly). I'm always fascinated by people's perceptions about the country by those who've experienced life outside of it.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,391,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
That's good advice. I should definantly just relax

What you suggested is exactly what I did when I came back to the US. I moved to a city I wanted to try out, got a roommate and got a crappy job to get me by. I did a ton of research on different cities and picked one that seemed to be a good bet.

But now it's not really working out. I took the gamble, and lost my chips. I am broke, my job doesn't even cover my bills, all the resumes i've turned in have lead nowhere. So I need to do something else.

As for moving to another city with a good economy. Well, at this point I am totaly busted, totally broke. So if I do that, i'll be doing it bum style. I don't know if i'm ready to do that again. I did that a long time ago actually...... job hunting by day and living in the forest by night. It's an adventure, but it's not easy. But it did work out for me pretty well really.

Every time you move it's a gamble. Maybe you'll win, maybe you'll lose.

I'm starting to realize what I need to do. Dig out the passport and get back on that plane.

If I could live a decent quality of life here in the US that would be great. But the life I live here is that of a wage slave, with no health insurance.
nothing wrong with that...

you should check out couchsurfing and wwoof if you want to travel on the cheap for awhile.

right now seasonal jobs in resort towns in the west will also hold u by

Old 12-23-2008, 11:14 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,231,055 times
Funky, did it ever occur to you the problem might not be with your "cowtown" (Denver)-- it might be with your unrealistic expectations and attitudes? I don't blame you for not liking Denver. It's not for everybody. From your posts, I can sense that you are indeed a good writer, but not so great at geography. Sav858 called you out a few weeks ago: http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...ml#post6426705. Denver is not even true "middle America." Well, sort of. Cities further east into the plains, the REAL middle America, like Omaha, Des Moines, Sioux Falls might be a lot easier to make it than Denver, since they aren't "hot spots," they don't have the mountains, and thus they don't have the same level of demand. Or possibly Texas; San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston are routinely listed as the fastest job growth cities in the US as well as some of the cheapest to live in.

If I were you I would cut your losses, move back in with your parents in San Diego, and then possibly use that as a springboard to go overseas again to whatever "enlightened" country you said you enjoyed.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:39 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,787,562 times
I'm thinking either move back to Cali and live with the parental unit(s) for a while, or move to Houston or Dallas or another city that's doing relatively well with the economy in the state it's in right now.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:00 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,912,997 times
Living with your parents rocks. Sleep in till 10, play some video games, eat their food, don't have to work, and stay up partying every night!

Having your mom nagging you to clean your basement every day though gets annoying.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:57 PM

Yeah, technically Denver is a "Rocky Mountain" city. But in my opinion, this is Middle America. Not an ocean for hours and hours, a very landlocked place. It's right on the very far eastern edge of the mountains, a short drive to Nebraska, which is considered the center of the US.

Looking at a map, Denver is almost in the middle of the US. Also, to me, it has a very Middle America feel, combined with a western feel. Some people call this a western city, but it's right on the edge.

It's not a bad place really. I actually like it a lot in some ways. But it feels like a cowtown to me. If I give details it might sound really insulting, so I won't. But i'll just say that the mindset of a lot of people here isn't that cool. I feel like a lot of the negative stereotypes about Americans are very alive here.

But California has it's own big problems too, I had to escape out of there. No place is perfect in the US. Some places are pretty close though.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Funky, did it ever occur to you the problem might not be with your "cowtown" (Denver)-- it might be with your unrealistic expectations and attitudes? I don't blame you for not liking Denver. It's not for everybody. From your posts, I can sense that you are indeed a good writer, but not so great at geography. Sav858 called you out a few weeks ago: http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...ml#post6426705. Denver is not even true "middle America." Well, sort of. Cities further east into the plains, the REAL middle America, like Omaha, Des Moines, Sioux Falls might be a lot easier to make it than Denver, since they aren't "hot spots," they don't have the mountains, and thus they don't have the same level of demand. Or possibly Texas; San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston are routinely listed as the fastest job growth cities in the US as well as some of the cheapest to live in.

If I were you I would cut your losses, move back in with your parents in San Diego, and then possibly use that as a springboard to go overseas again to whatever "enlightened" country you said you enjoyed.
Sav858 just doesn't like me because I said bad things about his precious city of San Diego a looooong time ago. And ever since then, he attacks me every time. He's one of those people who feels like he must defend San Diego from all critisism.

And what I was saying in that thread is that overall, I like Denver and Colorado, but I don't like this specific neighborhood, Cherry Creek. He was trying to call that as a contradiction, but it's not.

And I do like Denver overall, even though it is not perfect and not paradise. But still, I might be moving along and I won't miss it too much.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:06 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,206,244 times
I suggest you join the Peace Corps, or go to Africa/Asia and volunteer, and/or work for little-to-nothing and just have your room/board paid. Use this time in your life as a learning experience.

Sure, you've already been overseas, but now it's time to go back--maybe this will be your life's calling.

I'd do this in a second if I were still single and responsibility-less!!

Maybe now is your time to give back to the world. Learn and experience the world. If you can't swing going overseas again, do something here in the US: join Habitat for Humanity or volunteer in other organizations in cities across the US. Only problem with that would be cost of living. At least overseas in poor countries, cost of living would be dirt cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.