U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 01:17 PM

364 posts, read 396,551 times

Advertisements

Starfishlady-

If you can take a trip to some of the places your interested in. Only you will know what will suit you. You can't base your decision on what jaded people on the Internet with too much time on there hands say. There is good and bad everywhere. Check it all out for yourself.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 01:27 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,757,791 times
I like Minneapolis (in my biased opinion). Houses are still relatively cheap (high for the region, but low among major cities) There is a plethora of new condos being built Downtown and in surrounding neighborhoods. As of 2005, there were 30,000 (Met. Cncl. est.) downtown residents (on par with Washington, Los Angeles). In the last two years the new Central Library has opened, along with the new Guthrie. Other things downtown are Target, Gaviddae Commons, City Center, Macy's, Target Center, Metrodome, Mill City Museum, Saint Anthony Main, Loring Park, Orchestral Hall, The Hennepin Theaters (Orph., Pantages, State) There's a Lund's that opened on Univeristy. Transportation is mediocre, but improving. There is a light rail line between Downtown, The Airport and The Mall of America. The planned Central Corridor will connect the Univ. of Minn. and Saint Paul. Crime is nearly non-existant in the downtown area (a few muggings a week, very occasional violence).
http://www.metrocouncil.org/planning...neapolisDT.pdf
http://www.downtownmpls.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis,_Minnesota
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/neighborhoods/index.asp
Besides Mpls., I hear good things about Boston, Phila., Chicago, Portland, Seattle, Saint Louis, Milwaukee. San Francisco, Washington, Baltimore.

Last edited by Waterlily; 03-04-2007 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Link-no ads

Old 03-04-2007, 06:15 PM

500 posts, read 2,702,997 times
Minnehaha, Minneapolis is kind of nice but I don't think it makes for good downtown living (I lived there and my wife comes from the area so I know a bit).

Transportation is getting better, true- but not enough yet. You would need a car. And when you need a car, that's not what I call "good downtown living".

Lots of condos are going up, the new Guthrie is nice, the Cesar Pelli-designed Library is fantastic, the Walker and MIA museums have new expansions... yes, but if you live right on downtown, you know you'll be walking along deserted streets, closed shops, barely any life (other than in the nightlife-hot First Avenue area) and no grocery store that I know of.

The brutal Minnesotan cold is something people have to seriously take in consideration before moving there. It's painful!

Last but not least, there is a serious problem with crime in Minneapolis. And it's been on for a while now. There's a reason why the Star-Tribune opened the year with an "already two shootings in downtown" headline. And there's a reason why family-friendly businesses are moving away from the warehouse entertainment district. You won't take the kids to downtown if there are shootings, thugs, bands of undesirable youths and so on.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:52 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,029,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
Starfishlady-

If you can take a trip to some of the places your interested in. Only you will know what will suit you. You can't base your decision on what jaded people on the Internet with too much time on there hands say. There is good and bad everywhere. Check it all out for yourself.

Good Luck!
While I agree with what you're saying, that was a bit rude... I certainly don't have "too much time on my hands", considering I work 45+ hours a week in addition to after-work activities (orchestra, yoga, friends, etc.) & some part-time gigs. Sure, I was bored for a couple of months while job-searching (hence the massive number of posts), but still wasn't "jaded" or lacking a life. As someone who's lived in many places & traveled around the world, I simply enjoy giving people advice... not to mention, this is actually part of what I do for a living, so it's good practice! Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that was pretty harsh.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:52 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,757,791 times
Manhattanite, I was in no way claiming that Mpls. is some urban utopia. But as far as downtown living goes, it is pretty good. Not everybody can afford places like Boston or Chicago. The person said they liked New England, it can be assumed that they can take a winter. I never saw any family friendly activity in the Warehouse Dist. The place has been filled with bars and nightclubs and ***** bars for twenty five years, and its still pretty safe. Furthermore, every city outside Topeka has crime, it is part of living in a city. You should get your crime statistics from the police, not the Star Tribune (hype sells papers, last month the police shot an addict in EP, the Tribune never reported that). If you have kids, you aren't going to live in a 900' loft. Last week, over a week period, there were three assaults downtown and nothing more concerning major crime. Finally, if you didn't notice the Lund's with ten stories of condos on top of it you should come here more before you tell me what a dangerous, lifeless city I live in.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/poli...lentCrimes.pdf

Old 03-05-2007, 05:30 AM

3,116 posts, read 7,159,387 times
I think the Minneapolis-St. Paul area is a gem. However, very understandably, many people will be frightened away by the brutal winter cold. I lived there for two years and was very impressed with just how nice the area is. The housing is spread out in a wide 360 circle around the two cities, so even though it's a large metropolitain city, the relative population density is not real high (compared to, say, Chicago).

But wasn't this thread originally about New England? Is there any affordable housing available at all within a two hour drive of Boston or New York City? I'm under the impression that it's pricey unless you're a good distance from Boston.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:49 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,622,568 times
Yes, this thread finally did manage to expose the general theme that this is a bad idea.

Living in the core of most big more northernly cities has many negatives. Many are grimy, way too much crime, lot more drugs than most will admit, do you want to walk those streets at night, the general shopping is not well intermixed anywhere near the big glass jungles, going to an ATM can be risky, get more than your share of desparadoes, winter can be especially nasty in the downtown areas, wind tunnels, snow on sidewalks, bums, traffic, noise, getting any type of service - not where delivery, repair or service people want to go, parking, type of night life. Bad idea.

I would not go much further North than Altanta, still pick Frisco if I just had to go somewhere else. The idea works well in Florida cities, not so well in most of the rest of the country. NYC if you really like big cities might work. I never even cared much for just visiting NYC.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:42 AM

364 posts, read 396,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Yes, this thread finally did manage to expose the general theme that this is a bad idea.

Living in the core of most big more northernly cities has many negatives. Many are grimy, way too much crime, lot more drugs than most will admit, do you want to walk those streets at night, the general shopping is not well intermixed anywhere near the big glass jungles, going to an ATM can be risky, get more than your share of desparadoes, winter can be especially nasty in the downtown areas, wind tunnels, snow on sidewalks, bums, traffic, noise, getting any type of service - not where delivery, repair or service people want to go, parking, type of night life. Bad idea.

I would not go much further North than Altanta, still pick Frisco if I just had to go somewhere else. The idea works well in Florida cities, not so well in most of the rest of the country. NYC if you really like big cities might work. I never even cared much for just visiting NYC.
And yet millions living in the North seem to manage and some (gasp) are actually happy. This is why I advised the original poster to check it out for themselves. Alot of people are fleeing destroyed Florida. It is no longer considered the 'promised land'.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:57 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
And yet millions living in the North seem to manage and some (gasp) are actually happy. Alot of people are fleeing destroyed Florida. It is no longer considered the 'promised land'.
Are they happy or just stuck where they are? Some might be just gasping after this winter.

Florida's problems have to be solved in Florida. Quit blaming the Yankees (whoever they are) and quit messing up the Promised Land.

There are no more Paradises to run too. Least none in eastern / northern big cities, not even in NC or TN. Big cities need to be fixed along with the Promised Land.

Maybe need a movie where some Arab guy is driving a bulldozer from Boston to Miami and all the problems he has along the way. Good music will help.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:57 AM

4,908 posts, read 12,525,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post

I'm not sure just how up-to-date you are on the downtowns of the big cities, especially on the east coast. Manhattan,Boston, Brooklyn, The capitol District,Philly all have amazing clean safe downtowns. You'll see homeless but you'll also see incredible vibrancy and diversity.The positive far outeighs the negative.

Philly's the grittiest of them all and center city Philly is nothing short of spectacular. Close to 500 restaurants and bars and 100,000 people living in a upscale 3 sq.mile area. Philly has its share of problems but the downtown is not one of them. Its absolutely booming.Although the section of downtown right by the historic district could use some work.

Disclaimer: These are not my Philly photos, so good work by the peeps who took them.

Center City Philly

Typical neighborhood 2 blocks from the business district

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or