U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:23 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Why would it want to? Austin would presumably prefer to be someplace like Portland, Denver or the like. Atlanta is similar to Dallas and Houston- boring strip mall hell.
Strip malls and boring? You mean like California cities then? Since you have never been outside of California, your credibility is nonexistant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 05:38 PM

18,629 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I've never been to Atlanta but I go to austin at least once a month and It's an amazing city. I've also heard great things about Atlanta from my mom and a coworker who visited there but from what they have told me I don't think I would enjoy it much.
My advice for you is to stop listening to other people tell you about a place and gauge it for yourself. If we all did this, than some major cities would not be visited at all. Go there and see if you like it for yourself.

Quote:
How to create a vibrant downtown area.
Atlanta doesn't need to look at Austin to create a vibrant downtown. They need to look at New York for that. Besides, downtown Atlanta isn't bad itself.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:52 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,038,856 times
I think Austin can be most closely compared with Seattle. Both places are very liberal and geared towards young people. Those are two places that college graduates all around the country want to go to start their careers. Places where the party never stops at night.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:54 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
My advice for you is to stop listening to other people tell you about a place and gauge it for yourself. If we all did this, than some major cities would not be visited at all. Go there and see if you like it for yourself.

Atlanta doesn't need to look at Austin to create a vibrant downtown. They need to look at New York for that. Besides, downtown Atlanta isn't bad itself.
Austin has a very vibrant downtown area and this is coming from someone who visits Austin monthly and hates it. I'm speaking daytime and nightime.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You ALL know this from your frequent visits to Atlanta? Or from hearsay and perception? I'm pretty sure it's the latter...

Atlanta is twice the city Austin will EVER be...in every way - good and bad. Austin is not at the forefront of anyone's thoughts when they think of American cities...or even Texas cities.
Many people would choose Austin over Atlanta (sad I know) and that same things goes for Houston and Dallas.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:06 PM

18,629 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Austin has a very vibrant downtown area and this is coming from someone who visits Austin monthly and hates it. I'm speaking daytime and nightime.
I practically grew up in Austin so I know what they had and what is developing in that city and I'm telling you that Atlanta as a city an area does not need to take pointers from Austin. Besides, Austin is nothing like Atlanta anyway.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I practically grew up in Austin so I know what they had and what is developing in that city and I'm telling you that Atlanta as a city an area does not need to take pointers from Austin. Besides, Austin is nothing like Atlanta anyway.
Well if they want a more lively core (which is what they are working towards) they should.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:13 PM

46,816 posts, read 36,996,604 times
I'd have to say more like San Francisco, and for a number of reasons. But you've got to love the Hill Country ambience, in which Austin's downtown sits on the edge. It's actually got Atlanta beat!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:18 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,322,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
How to create a vibrant downtown area.
Atlanta has already done that, in downtown, midtown, and Buckhead. Downtown just needs a new infusion of vibrancy.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:24 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,804,298 times
Quote:

That kind of thinking does not work for me. I'm not rich so It's impossible for me to visit every city. I can only visit places that I know I will enjoy from word of mouth and my own research online or other various resources. Atlanta is not one of those cities on my list. Before I would ever consider going to Atlanta I would much rather go to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, New Orleans. If I ever start making the big bucks it will be London and Paris.

as for the original question I much prefer Austin over Atlanta because I love live music and have gone to several concerts in Austin. I don't hear much about live music in Atlanta unless it's hip hop and I hate hip hop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.