U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:19 PM

18,659 posts, read 27,113,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
That kind of thinking does not work for me. I'm not rich so It's impossible for me to visit every city. I can only visit places that I know I will enjoy from word of mouth and my own research online or other various resources. Atlanta is not one of those cities on my list. Before I would ever consider going to Atlanta I would much rather go to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, New Orleans. If I ever start making the big bucks it will be London and Paris.
But what you are failing to realize is that this is a terrible way of making a decision if you like the city or not. The best way is to visit. I get upset when people say they do not like Houston and I ask what do they know about it and they say nothing because they never been there. How could you know about a city if you haven't been there to experience it for yourself. Various online sites, word of mouth, and other resources do not match the experience of actually being there yourself. That's all I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 08:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,188,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
You would be wrong, but that's ok. Never lived in Austin, but lived in Dallas and Hotlanta. I'd rank them in order: Austin, Dallas and Atlanta last. Not a huge fan of any except Austin, but I prefer the West Coast thank you very much.
I lived in both Houston and Austin, for several years each, and spent lots of time in Dallas and San Antonio.

Once you get outside of very central Austin, it doesn't lack much in strip malls and similar suburban-type development as compared to Houston. Which is why I think it's foolish for you to say you like Austin, but Houston is "boring strip mall hell". I think it comes down to this little fact: it's cool to like Austin, but it's uncool to like Houston. Which doesn't make much sense to me (I base my opinions off of real living experience, not what some magazine article or the media wants me to think or say) but whatever. Original point being, if you hate lots of strip malls, you'll probably dislike Austin just as much as you would dislike Houston because they both have lots of them...

Old 12-23-2008, 08:49 PM

6,867 posts, read 12,828,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
But what you are failing to realize is that this is a terrible way of making a decision if you like the city or not. The best way is to visit. I get upset when people say they do not like Houston and I ask what do they know about it and they say nothing because they never been there. How could you know about a city if you haven't been there to experience it for yourself. Various online sites, word of mouth, and other resources do not match the experience of actually being there yourself. That's all I'm saying.
Houston is exactly the type of city I would not want to visit. I can make the most of it because I live here but there are much better places than Houston. I feel the same way about Atlanta. I'm sure if I lived there I could find things to do there to keep me entertained but It's just not my type of city I would want to visit. I've never been to Oklahoma City but I'm sure I would not want to visit there without having to have already experienced it first hand. The same goes for lots of cities. I don't need to visit Detroit in order for me to know it's just not the city for me and I don't need to visit Atlanta to know I wouldn't like it.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:19 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,365,672 times
Quote:
Houston is exactly the type of city I would not want to visit. I can make the most of it because I live here but there are much better places than Houston. I feel the same way about Atlanta. I'm sure if I lived there I could find things to do there to keep me entertained but It's just not my type of city I would want to visit. I've never been to Oklahoma City but I'm sure I would not want to visit there without having to have already experienced it first hand. The same goes for lots of cities. I don't need to visit Detroit in order for me to know it's just not the city for me and I don't need to visit Atlanta to know I wouldn't like it.
Huh?

Post full of very close minded statements.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
Huh?

Post full of very close minded statements.
why does that make me closed minded? i don't have to love everything in order to be open minded. i like somethings, i dislike others. i guess i would also be closed minded if i say i don't want to visit somalia.

it gets really old when people start attacking other people for having a different opinion.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:28 PM

I see nothing about Austin that would lead me to believe it will ever be another Atlanta. Beyond the vast cultural differences, Austin may never achieve the regional dominance of Atlanta due to Dallas, Houston and SA being within the same State.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
why does that make me closed minded? i don't have to love everything in order to be open minded. i like somethings, i dislike others. i guess i would also be closed minded if i say i don't want to visit somalia.

it gets really old when people start attacking other people for having a different opinion.
If you need it explained to you; you probably won't understand my explanation anyway.

Drop it.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
If you need it explained to you; you probably won't understand my explanation anyway.

Drop it.
If i'm just so dumb than just ignore me. I really don't need you talking down to me.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:52 PM

11 posts, read 16,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
will never catch up in size, so no.
By the way Austin is bigger than Atlanta and Austin has a strong Future ahead and and its becoming the largest state capital in THE U.S AFTER PHOENIX

Old 12-23-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
If i'm just so dumb than just ignore me. I really don't need you talking down to me.
First off, I didn't call you close minded, I said your statements were. And I definately do not consider you dumb. Feel better now?

You limit yourself by thinking you don't need to experience something because you already have formed a unwavering opinion. I had a negative opinion of Baltimore MD until I was stationed in the area and visited, now it's literally one of my favorite cities. I was lucky and connected with several locals who knew their city well and I was impressed by the culture, food, entertainment and people.

Just keep an open mind and visit different places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.