U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:12 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,793,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Um, how can you be such a huge fan of Austin after never having lived there? Let me guess, because you "heard" it's supposedly so "liberal"?
When I lived in Dallas, it looked like utopia in comparison. Then again, Houston looked like hell in comparison to Dallas, so everything is relative I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 12:37 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,793,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You do realize that we have varied topographies, beaches, and good weather in the South also, right? And all of Southern California doesn't have the beach to mitigate the dullness of the suburban sprawl that exists (e.g., the Inland Empire). Just as SoCal isn't monolithic, neither is the South.
You do realize that I lived in the South. Yes, there are hills that are called mountains. THey are nice in the fall. The southern "cities" are so new they generally lack charm (Charleston, Savannah being obvious exceptions). The ocean/beaches vary from nice to bad, but the humidity, heat, bugs and lack of culture were just too much for me.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:51 PM

8,031 posts, read 7,646,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
When I lived in Dallas, it looked like utopia in comparison. Then again, Houston looked like hell in comparison to Dallas, so everything is relative I suppose.
Please explain.
This makes absolutely no sense.
I am very familiar with all of Texas' major cities.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:53 PM

8,031 posts, read 7,646,266 times
Quote:
... but the humidity, heat, bugs and lack of culture were just too much for me.
I guess like you said, it is all relative. Because you do realize a lot of people from the northeast consider the west coast to be 'too new' and 'lacking in culture'.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:03 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,461,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
It's funny how Texans are always Sooo impressed by the fact their state has multiple large cities. Hell, you live in a state the size of Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida and Tennessee combined. It would be amazing if you didn't have several large metro areas. In that same land area we have Atlanta, Miami, Tampa-St Pete, Jacksonville, Orlando, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Memphis, and Charleston.
Not this Texan. Only the boys who like to compare **** sizes are impressed by the size of things. I'd much rather live in a smaller state in closer proximity to other states to visit, which is one reason I'm planning on leaving Texas...

Old 12-24-2008, 01:08 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,461,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Why are Houstonians boasting about Austin on this thread, but bash it on other threads? Austin doesn't want to be the next Atlanta as evident by their absense on this thread. I mean this in the best possible way, but you Houstonians need to quit getting in arguments every time a city in Texas is compared to another city. You are giving us Texans a very bad name. I bet people would respect you more if you wouldn't jump out every person who bashed Houston and/or Texas.
Amen, brother!

Old 12-24-2008, 01:50 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,348,696 times
Quote:
You do realize that I lived in the South.
You never said where in the South. Living along the Gulf Coast of Florida is quite different than living in the Ozarks in Arkansas.

Quote:
Yes, there are hills that are called mountains.
Ummmm, we have real mountains in the South (Appalachian, Ozarks, etc.).

Quote:
The southern "cities" are so new they generally lack charm (Charleston, Savannah being obvious exceptions).
You have a point there.

Quote:
The ocean/beaches vary from nice to bad, but the humidity, heat, bugs and lack of culture were just too much for me.
Again, you're painting the South with this broad brush. There are parts of the South not quite as hot and humid, and there are parts that have more culture than others. How about we talk about specific cities/metro areas? I doubt that Fresno has superior culture to Charleston just because it's in the superior West while Charleston is in the inferior South.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:54 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,717,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Not this Texan. Only the boys who like to compare **** sizes are impressed by the size of things. I'd much rather live in a smaller state in closer proximity to other states to visit, which is one reason I'm planning on leaving Texas...
Hurry.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:26 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,595,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Sorry Charlie, don't show your big penis envy when it comes to city. Austin/San Antonio is in the Southwest parts in the desert and part plains/part hill country. Atlanta is just 35 county metro or something like that but still doesn't have the cool vibe as Austin
Though probably not worth my time, I had to respond to this because it's become the cool thing for people arguing against Atlanta to say. " Oh, the Atlanta area is spread over 20- 30 counties!"

First of all, Georgia has like the smallest counties in the nation. You can fit three average Georgia counties into one average size Texan county.

Second, even if you only consider Atlanta's Five main counties you have well over 3 million people living in an area about the size of San Antonio's Bexar county.

Atlanta Population Area (square miles)
Fulton 915,623 529
Dekalb 677,959 268
Cobb 663,818 340
Gwinnett 726,273 433
Clayton 267,966 143

3,251,639 1,713

Compare that to San Antonio's and Austins Bexar and Travis counties combined with less than 2,500,000 living in over 2100 square miles.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:42 PM

18,658 posts, read 27,108,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston's inner core alone which is about 100 sqm has a bigger population than Atlanta. Houston's inner core could reach a million in about 5 years if they continue to build up. We use space because were a big state, just like Cali's cities have a lot of square miles.
Another person that's a bit overzealous. Houston's inner core is growing but it will not grow by 500,000 in 5 years. It will take 30-50 years or more for that to happen not to mention that growth never sustains for that long anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.