Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:03 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Strip malls and boring? You mean like California cities then? Since you have never been outside of California, your credibility is nonexistant
Lived in the South for several years and in Dallas for one. I also lived in D.C. I grew up out west, but not in California. San Francisco isn't strip malls. A lot of Southern California has far too many strip malls, but it isn't boring in the way the South is b/c of the topography, beach and weather. I base my opinion based upon my experiences. I lived in the South for a job. I did not like it. Dallas wasn't very nice either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 09:39 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
A lot of Southern California has far too many strip malls, but it isn't boring in the way the South is b/c of the topography, beach and weather.
You do realize that we have varied topographies, beaches, and good weather in the South also, right? And all of Southern California doesn't have the beach to mitigate the dullness of the suburban sprawl that exists (e.g., the Inland Empire). Just as SoCal isn't monolithic, neither is the South.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:22 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Nope. Don't have to cover two states to blow Austin away population wise. For instance Dekalb county (just one of Atlanta's five main suburban counties) is about the same size as Austin with 737,000 pop in 268 square miles compared to Austins 743,000 in 251 square miles. I mean come on. All of Travis county only has 974,000 sprawled out over a whopping 989 square miles. Atlanta's Fulton county alone has 992,000 squeezed into only 529 square miles.

Even if you threw in San Antonio with Austin it doesn't compare to metro Atlanta which has more people living in a smaller area than both those metros combined. Despite Atlanta's reputation for sprawl all of Texas metros (with the exception of Houston) are actually more sprawling when it comes to population density.
Houston's inner core alone which is about 100 sqm has a bigger population than Atlanta. Houston's inner core could reach a million in about 5 years if they continue to build up. We use space because were a big state, just like Cali's cities have a lot of square miles.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:27 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,039 times
I don't see why Austin would want to be an Atlanta. Atlanta is a nice city, but I don't think cities should have an identity of being a new version of another city. Austin is a great city of its own, and I'm pretty sure Austinites don't want to have the same problems as Atlanta.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:42 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Why are Houstonians boasting about Austin on this thread, but bash it on other threads? Austin doesn't want to be the next Atlanta as evident by their absense on this thread. I mean this in the best possible way, but you Houstonians need to quit getting in arguments every time a city in Texas is compared to another city. You are giving us Texans a very bad name. I bet people would respect you more if you wouldn't jump out every person who bashed Houston and/or Texas.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:50 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Hey those Atlantans are just so crazy about thier city which ares encompasses two states to get thier pop. Sorry kiddo, Georgia will never be on the same plane as Texas or Florida. You Georgian better watch your neighbor NC is starting to kick your butt too. Savannah and Athens are pretty cool though.

We dont boast about our city we are just proud to live in atlanta and we just correct people when they try and bash atlanta and we dont use 2 states to get our population atlantas population is all in GA and we can help that atlanta is moe desired than the other citys in GA. The others have potential to be big but people like Atlanta. And these threads about atl vs some other citys only cause atlanta to be bashed. But we dont care because i am proud of the city it is growing into a great powerhouse especially buckhead and midtown

Old 12-24-2008, 11:11 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Never lived in Austin, but lived in Dallas and Hotlanta. I'd rank them in order: Austin, Dallas and Atlanta last. Not a huge fan of any except Austin, but I prefer the West Coast thank you very much.
Um, how can you be such a huge fan of Austin after never having lived there? Let me guess, because you "heard" it's supposedly so "liberal"?

Old 12-24-2008, 12:06 PM

155 posts, read 733,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
It's funny how Texans are always Sooo impressed by the fact their state has multiple large cities. Hell, you live in a state the size of Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida and Tennessee combined. It would be amazing if you didn't have several large metro areas. In that same land area we have Atlanta, Miami, Tampa-St Pete, Jacksonville, Orlando, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Memphis, and Charleston.
Haha! That's a good point!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:09 PM

395 posts, read 1,010,889 times
Well, if you mean it's going downhill, since Austin is so much better than Atlanta would ever aspire to be, I sure hope not!!!!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:12 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The Austin/San Antonio region is one of the most beautiful and fastest growing areas in America. I see it as the next mega CSA. Two cities in the region are in the top fastest growing cities in the area. All Georgia has is Atlanta. It is so nice to live in a state where cities hcna share the wealth and not dependent on one city to carry the load. For Instance if all major cities were combined in the Austin area the pop. would be 18 million people. Austin would be the dominant city in the state with a diverse pop and culture un matched in the south.
Oh My God! Are you for real? Where do you come up with this crap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.