U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:25 AM

0 posts, read 1,350,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
One of the main reasons folks from the North are running down South is because their high salaries up their mean nothing. Many of them understand, as they have for years, that you can make a $100,000 a year up there and still be broke!! While in the South you can make half that and live much better. I mean, seriously, who wants to make six digits a year, and still be forced to have a roommate, not be able to go on vacations, can’t buy what you want, when you want it? What’s the point?

2008 Salary Value Index – Complete List of Cities*:
Link: Salary.com's 2008 Salary Value Index - Full List

Related Article:
Are You in the Best City for Your Job?
A high salary goes only so far if the cost of living is even higher. If you want your dollar to go further, maybe it's time to relocate

“…Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte, N.C., rose to the top for many of the jobs because they're affordable cities with competitive salaries. New York, San Francisco, Washington, Los Angeles, and Boston, which have some of the highest salaries, sank to the bottom because residents there pay through the nose for real estate, parking, groceries, and almost everything else…”

Article: Are You in the Best City for Your Job? - BusinessWeek
____
No.

Most NYers, Bostoners, Californians, etc who make 150K+ a year would rather live in a modest home or apartment in NY/CA/NJ/CT/ etc than live in a McMansion in Texas, Arizona, etc. If everybody aspired to live a bland lifestyle in a dreadful Southern town, NY/CA/CT/NJ would have been deserted a long time ago. They are still the top notch wealthiest areas and continue to attract and retain the people who can afford it who happen to be the people who pay the majority of the taxes....because they are the best places in the country and there are no better alternatives.

If you look at the census, you would see that the people who migrate from higher priced areas are the middle-class (at best).

I was actually born and raised in Houston and I would MUCH rather live in a much smaller apartment in NY than live in the 6,000 sq ft house I am in right now.

Last edited by Americanboy; 12-26-2008 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 11:42 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,268,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylehny View Post
No.

Most NYers, Bostoners, Californians, etc who make 150K+ a year would rather live in a modest home or apartment in NY/CA/NJ/CT/ etc than live in a McMansion in Texas, Arizona, etc. If everybody aspired to live a bland lifestyle in a dreadful Southern town, NY/CA/CT/NJ would behave been and deserted a long time ago. They are still the wealthiest areas and continue to attract and retain the people who can afford it and pay the majority of the taxes....because they are the best places in the country.

If you look at the census, you would see that the people who migrate from higher priced areas are the middle-class (at best).
How can you possibly comment on the feelings of most people from NY/Boston/CA? There is no way for you to know that most of them would rather live in a modest home or apartment - that's your opinion.

So who is filling all of the tech, biotech, medical, professional, engineering, and other high paying jobs in Atlanta, Research Triangle, Huntsville, Houston, Dallas, Austin, D.C., Charlotte, Miami, etc? Again, there is no way you can possibly know that the people who migrate south are "middle-class, at best".

Just because you want something to be true doesn't make it true.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:47 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,268,700 times
Quote:
I am actually born and raised in Houston, Texas and I would MUCH rather live in an apartment in NY than live in the 6,000 sq ft house I am in right now.
Are those the only 2 choices? A small apartment or a 6,000 sq.ft. house? Another ridiculous statement...there is a lot of residential in between those two sizes. My parents live in a fairly large 4 bedroom/3 bathroom house and it's only 3,000 sq.ft. I can't imagine a 6,000 square foot house - the majority of people don't live in huge spaces like that.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:40 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,993,966 times
Quote:
No.

Most NYers, Bostoners, Californians, etc who make 150K+ a year would rather live in a modest home or apartment in NY/CA/NJ/CT/ etc than live in a McMansion in Texas, Arizona, etc. If everybody aspired to live a bland lifestyle in a dreadful Southern town, NY/CA/CT/NJ would have been deserted a long time ago. They are still the top notch wealthiest areas and continue to attract and retain the people who can afford it who happen to be the people who pay the majority of the taxes....because they are the best places in the country and there are no better alternatives.

I was actually born and raised in Houston and I would MUCH rather live in a much smaller apartment in NY than live in the 6,000 sq ft house I am in right now.
To suggest that only the "middle class, at best" are the ones moving to the high growth areas of the South and West, is just completely false. You are either in denial or ignorant of the facts; I’ll let you decide…

The Graying Of the City: Young Families Fleeing New York | The New York Observer

More are moving out of California than in - Los Angeles Times

Why is Connecticut Losing Its Young?

Too prosperous, Massachusetts is losing its labor force | csmonitor.com

Young People... Come Back! | Connecticut Public Broadcasting Network

Study shows state's 'brain drain' unabated - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 12-26-2008, 12:51 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,720,995 times
Look at people dispute the Census Bureau here. Because you're all Census experts heh?

Old 12-26-2008, 12:51 PM

85 posts, read 237,897 times
Lol no one is making 100k up north and living in poverty. Midtown Manhattan, Downtown Boston, and Center City Phiadelphia can be very expensive but the vast majority of northeners don't live in those small expensive enclaves. Most northeners live in suburbs, exurbs, and rural areas in these cities' metro areas. Also inside northern metro areas you can find less expensive areas to live if you actually look for them.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:55 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,993,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLkid754 View Post
Lol no one is making 100k up north and living in poverty. Midtown Manhattan, Downtown Boston, and Center City Phiadelphia can be very expensive but the vast majority of northeners don't live in those small expensive enclaves. Most northeners live in suburbs, exurbs, and rural areas in these cities' metro areas. Also inside northern metro areas you can find less expensive areas to live if you actually look for them.
Understood, nobody's leaving the North, all the cities are growing, the Census Bureau is lying, and its actually a very affordable region to live in, got it (sarcastic voice)

I was being facetious about the $100K.

Last edited by Carolina Blue; 12-26-2008 at 01:13 PM..

Old 12-26-2008, 01:13 PM

85 posts, read 237,897 times
Quote:
Understood, nobody's leaving the North, all the cities are growing, the Census Bureau is lying, and its actually a very affordable region to live in, got it (sarcastic voice)
I never said that the northeast is more affordable than the south cause it is not. I was just saying some people made it like if you were making 100k in the north that you'd be living in the ghetto which is just a blantant lie. Also regions in the north have already peaked and many places have achieved as much population as they can handle. It is time for the south and western states to gain population and increase density. NY, Boston, D.C, and Newark are all growing by the way

Old 12-26-2008, 01:41 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,816,173 times
The Sun Belt may have boomed, but I don't think it's going to stop growing. Now, we have little by little, but it depends on the region.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:52 PM

0 posts, read 1,350,566 times
Quote:
LOL. Thank you for just confirming what I've been saying, genius.

Per the articles you've posted;
Quote:
"People started leaving California because of housing prices -- particularly younger couples that just couldn't afford to buy a house."
Quote:
Massachusetts is the only state to suffer from a shrinking labor force in recent years, according to a recent study. The reasons: Housing has become unaffordable for young people, and many workers don't have the skills needed by employers, particularly in the trades.
And I must add that labor force workers are middle class (at best)

Quote:
You can run off dozens of reasons why young people are leaving Connecticut at such a rapid pace after college - and heading south: Warmer weather, lower taxes, more jobs - and most importantly, cheaper housing
Young couples are usually broke.

This is what I've been saying all along. When have I ever argued against the facts that the middle-classes are moving out of the good areas into cheap areas? Didn't I say that lower-to-middle class people are fleeing California, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey because of housing costs? Please carefully read the sources you wish to display before wasting my time.

People who actually pay 95% of the taxes in CA, NY, NY and CT AREN'T the ones fleeing. It's the lower classes who can't afford to live in those spectacular areas and are forced to move to bland, crappy, southern states. The high-paid professionals choose to live in good areas like NY, CA, NJ and CT.

If you weren't aware, people don't move to bland rubbish towns like Phoenix because they're fabulous places. They move to those places because they're cheap. I'll say it again: the non-tax-paying lower-middle class make up the vast majority of the people who migrate to cheaper areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or