U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:37 PM

15,006 posts, read 31,375,582 times

Advertisements

Keep the "boom" way the hell away from me, I like my peace and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 09:04 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,329,638 times
I'm trying to figure out why we're debating exactly who's leaving the North for the South. Anytime there's been a mass migration, it's ALWAYS been so that people can secure better opportunities for themselves and their families--so yes, it's always been the lower and middle class folks that have spearheaded any such moves. Wealthy folks anywhere, whether they are in the North, South, West, are always more apt to say put. If it weren't for poor immigrants, Chicago, NYC, LA, Boston, etc. wouldn't have become what they are now. America is the land of opportunity, and right now, the South is providing a lot of that opportunity. Why in the world that's being spun as a bad thing is beyond me.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:48 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,827,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthecorner059 View Post
Yes, Angel, most towns in CT do have that rural, country feel. Visit sometime before you show such ignorance.

Now that I have stooped to the level of most on this thread, I'll call it a night. G'night, y'all!

YOU are the inexperienced one showing ignorance! Try visiting those cities I mentioned, where BTW MUCH more of CT's population lives-than in those pretty little sparsley populated towns.

You just moved here-I've lived here all my life and had to survive it. I certainly am going to call you on your inaccuracies.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:21 AM

132 posts, read 294,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
YOU are the inexperienced one showing ignorance! Try visiting those cities I mentioned, where BTW MUCH more of CT's population lives-than in those pretty little sparsley populated towns.

You just moved here-I've lived here all my life and had to survive it. I certainly am going to call you on your inaccuracies.
Speaking of inaccuracies, the population of those cities combined are much less than one third of the state's population. The small towns are not sparsely populated either - most have 10,000 + residents. Small, yes. Sparse, no. You're wrong.

What exactly did you ''have to survive''? You sound like a bitter person who has it out for Connecticut.

I am no Connecticut cheerleader either. I'll make a long list of the things I dislike about the state. Shall we agree to disagree without the name calling?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:35 PM

3,384 posts, read 4,091,237 times
I just moved back to CT from North Carolina simply because I couldn't stand the sprawl and chain store feel of the Raleigh area. Life was very hectic there and jobs did not pay anywhere near as well as in the Hartford area. Are there chain stores and restaurants here? Yes, but it is much easier to get away from them. I personally love the space that we have here and the land for hiking. I am also working with some great people who are incredibly friendly and caring.

Unfortunately, my house is not selling in NC as the market is saturated there so it may mean moving back down there for the short-term. I will make the best of it, but I see the quality of life in CT to be so much better. Better education, more things for my kids to do, bigger lots. The list goes on. I will keep a positive attitude and know what is important to me too.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:55 PM

208 posts, read 572,185 times
Interesting. The "boom" was getting to be a bit much..

Old 12-29-2008, 03:13 PM

16,737 posts, read 23,163,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post

Simply not true. And I've lived here all my life and had to "survive it" too (). The larger cities in CT are barely 1/5 of the state's population. Remember, they are small cities. Most of CT's population does live in those "pretty little" towns.

Even in the middle/working class suburbs where they do allow chain stores (Milford, East Haven, Manchester, Hamden), homes are on MUCH more land than nearly any urbanized area in the country. In LA, ATL, almost anywhere in FL, even in the core suburbs around NYC, a half acre is even considered a lot. In CT, it's common to have an acre of land per home.

That adds to the reason why people here are so reserved. Privacy. Think about it.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:19 PM

16,737 posts, read 23,163,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
About 95% of the towns in CT are like that? Please...
Shows how much you actually know about this area....

Visit, then talk.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:22 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,768,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Simply not true. And I've lived here all my life and had to "survive it" too (). The larger cities in CT are barely 1/5 of the state's population. Remember, they are small cities. Most of CT's population does live in those "pretty little" towns.

Even in the middle/working class suburbs where they do allow chain stores (Milford, East Haven, Manchester, Hamden), homes are on MUCH more land than nearly any urbanized area in the country. In LA, ATL, almost anywhere in FL, even in the core suburbs around NYC, a half acre is even considered a lot. In CT, it's common to have an acre of land per home.

That adds to the reason why people here are so reserved. Privacy. Think about it.
that other poster stating he's "survived" living in CT is just too precious. is right! you'd think he was talking about Compton for cryin' out loud.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:59 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,834,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Shows how much you actually know about this area....

Visit, then talk.
About 95% of the towns in CT are like that? Please...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or