Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:18 PM

11 posts, read 33,033 times

Advertisements

There are two very cool interactive maps by the Pew Charitable Trust, showing internal migration flows between regions in the USA. Check it out. Maps: Migration Flows in the United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 08:18 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
The law of averages are starting to play. Eventually, the Sunbelt is going to see a slow down; the economy is great evidence of that. People are going to move where the jobs are. If jobs start to slow down, and if the housing stock continue to slide, people will look else where.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:37 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBob View Post
There are two very cool interactive maps by the Pew Charitable Trust, showing internal migration flows between regions in the USA. Check it out. Maps: Migration Flows in the United States

Fantastic link, MetroBob. Thanks for posting!

Old 12-24-2008, 08:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
The Northeast and Midwest will never see growth like the Sunbelt and Western states.
I beg your pardon? Chicagoland was in the top 10 fastest growing metros in the nation this year. And places like NYC continue to grow, but you dont notice it as much because the population is already gigantic. 50K people could move into NYC and the % change would be miniscule. But put those 50K people in, say, Nevada, and the % change is much more drastic. Capeesh?

Old 12-25-2008, 04:09 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
The West and Southwest continue to grow. I believe it was Michigan and Rhode Island that recently reported a decline in population.

Arizona and Nevada continue to be some of the fastest growing states with Utah (I think) just being reported as the fastest growing

Old 12-25-2008, 07:24 AM

88 posts, read 269,376 times
I don't think that the sun belt cities will lose "appeal" but they obviously won't grow as fast as they are now forever. For example if you have a city of 100 people and then 500 people move there then it increased by 500%. But then take the same city many years later and say it has a population of 1 million. If the city of 1 million increases by 50,000 then it only increases by 5%. So people can look at those numbers and say oh my god its not growing as much but in reality more people are moving there it is just that the % looks smaller.

Also I don't really see why sun belt states would want to keep up the growth they experinced because traffic, pollution, and crime to seem to come along with unplanned growth. I certianlly don't want Florida to keep increasing population as rapidly.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:35 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLkid754 View Post
Also I don't really see why sun belt states would want to keep up the growth they experinced because traffic, pollution, and crime to seem to come along with unplanned growth. I certianlly don't want Florida to keep increasing population as rapidly.
Yeah, the one good thing coming out of the economic downturn in metro Atlanta is that growth has come to a standstill. The building of strip mall after strip mall and all of these crazy cluster home subdivisions has stopped, and will hopefully give us a breather for a couple of years. If mortgage standards remain tight, I don't think that we'll have a return to stuffing 40 townhomes into a small postage stamp size development - there just won't be as many people who will be able to buy a house.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:57 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
The Northeast and Midwest will never see growth like the Sunbelt and Western states. What would be their appeal?
I wouldn't say "never" but I hope never is the truth. Rapid growth is not a good thing - it strains infrastructure. Look at the ridiculous traffic and poor performing schools in those areas. The other states where growth was less are a land of steady habits, who regulate growth to keep up the quality of life.

Personally, I have yet to meet anyone who desires to move down south (other than Florida, which is the NYC/Boston metro-South). Thank God I live in Connecticut where measures are taken to carefully plan growth - you'd be surprised how many McMansion housing developments are denied on a weekly basis in any given town here.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:59 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
DeconJ, seriously, I mean seriously. Don't call my place empty and dying, and people are leaving because it is miserable.
Don't take DeaconJ too seriously Awesomo. He's from the Atlanta area, the concensus most overrated city in America.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:04 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Don't be so dramatic. Bad choice of words on my part.

I agree that the article is somewhat misleading. My wording of what was in the article was typed quickly, so I didn't think it through as well as I should've.
Wanted to give you +1 for this but I have to spread it around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.