Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 11:09 AM

395 posts, read 1,011,058 times

Advertisements

too bad texas isn't slowing down! these california and new england/midwest transplants won't stop fleeing down here. 4 TX cities are still in the top 10 in growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 12:06 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The only way it would take someone an hour to go 3 miles is if there is an accident with multiple lanes blocked. It doesn't take that kind of time anywhere to go 3 miles...I think someone is exaggerating to make a point. Connecticut has population controls to keep a boom from happening? Give me a break...why would they be needed? No city or state keeps people out...growth is prosperity, and any city or state would welcome growth.

The NYC subway handles 7 million riders/day. I have to assume that there are MANY more commuters than that, which would mean that a large number of people in NYC use the subway to and from work, but not an overwhelming majority.

The secret is out...adding lanes doesn't improve traffic flow. They are not still "widening highways in those areas it seems, without giving a thought to a better mass transit network". There have been transit improvements all over the U.S., with plans for many more.
Looks like you couldn't fully comprehend what I was saying regarding population in CT. I'll say it differently this time so hopefully you'll understand what I mean.

I never said CT keeps population out, but people here are *very* protective of open land, forests and wooded property. Most of the suburbs have minimum zoning (1.5 acres or above) for new homes, and every week (if not, every day) we hear of the latest lawsuit from a developer who was denied by any given town's P&Z board. They plan very carefully here and I think that's a good thing. What you're missing is that Connecticut has growth, just steady growth.

As for NY's 7 million Subway riders - you forgot about Metro-North Railroad (serving Connecticut), the PATH (serving NJ), Long Island Railroad, the thousands of buses and limos that stream toward Manhattan every weekday. This is the largest mass transportation network in the world. It is the very reason why NYC metro highways still move during rush hour.

Regarding the university area in Charlotte - try it. You'll see exactly what I mean. Even a native Charlotte resident here agreed that that section of town is nothing short of a nightmare.

Don't be so sure you know exactly what you're talking about before you experience things. Just a suggestion.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
too bad texas isn't slowing down! these california and new england/midwest transplants won't stop fleeing down here. 4 TX cities are still in the top 10 in growth.
I have yet to meet anyone from New England/NY who have a desire to live in TX. Not knocking TX, just saying how it is.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:44 PM

395 posts, read 1,011,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I have yet to meet anyone from New England/NY who have a desire to live in TX. Not knocking TX, just saying how it is.
Desire or not, they're flooding here. Half the people I work with are from Philly/Boston/NYC originally

Old 12-25-2008, 12:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Desire or not, they're flooding here. Half the people I work with are from Philly/Boston/NYC originally
Not many people are migrating from the north to Texas. We do tend to get lots of people from the West and midwest though.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Not many people are migrating from the north to Texas. We do tend to get lots of people from the West and midwest though.
Exactly. Most new Texans are from AZ, CA, etc. NYers and Bostonians go to NC, ATL and, for vacation, south Florida.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:52 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Honestly, I never met someone in Texas who cared at all what people in NY and New England thought. Same goes for moving there. Not knocking it, just telling how it is.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:54 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Exactly. Most new Texans are from AZ, CA, etc. NYers and Bostonians go to NC, ATL and, for vacation, south Florida.
No wonder Texas is friendlier and more forward thinking than Florida and North Carolina

Old 12-25-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Honestly, I never met someone in Texas who cared at all what people in NY and New England thought. Same goes for moving there. Not knocking it, just telling how it is.
*claps loudly*

Old 12-25-2008, 01:03 PM

88 posts, read 269,325 times
Sadly atleast when I visit family up north they seem to really harbor ill feelings towards Texas despite ever going there. It is seen as a hot, culture wasteland where everyone talks like a hick and has an IQ in single digits. Of course Texas isn't really like that but I think Texans love their state enough to make up for the north looking down on itl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.