U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 01:03 PM

0 posts, read 1,353,804 times

Advertisements

The only reason that people move to the sunbelt is because they can't afford to live in the good areas. NY, CA, CT, etc. What is the appeal of living in the Sunbelt besides low costs?

The better part of the population, like the top 5% and new white collar professionals who do the reverse-migration and head to those Northeast or the West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 01:10 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,882,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLkid754 View Post
Sadly atleast when I visit family up north they seem to really harbor ill feelings towards Texas despite ever going there. It is seen as a hot, culture wasteland where everyone talks like a hick and has an IQ in single digits. Of course Texas isn't really like that but I think Texans love their state enough to make up for the north looking down on itl
Yes, there are definitely ALOT of ignorant people up in the North. I grew up there and when I told people I was going to college in Texas they threw up all the typical stereotypes and I basically just rolled my eyes and said whatever. Now I live in texas and tell people I am from NY originally and people say that it has beautiful scenery in the Adirondaks and such. Gee, it seems that Southerners are more openminded than Northerners.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Yes, there are definitely ALOT of ignorant people up in the North. I grew up there and when I told people I was going to college in Texas they threw up all the typical stereotypes and I basically just rolled my eyes and said whatever. Now I live in texas and tell people I am from NY originally and people say that it has beautiful scenery in the Adirondaks and such. Gee, it seems that Southerners are more openminded than Northerners.
Didn't some poll reveal that 23%(?) of Texans think Barack Obama is a Muslim?

I think Texas takes the cake when it comes to ignorance, sorry. Most of Texas is a backwards cesspool, but the cities like Austin and Houston aren't really ignorant, (mostly due to the fact that most of the people living in those cities are not native Texans).

Old 12-25-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylehny View Post
The only reason that people move to the sunbelt is because they can't afford to live in the good areas. NY, CA, CT, etc. What is the appeal of living in the Sunbelt besides low costs?

The better part of the population, like the top 5% and new white collar professionals who do the reverse-migration and head to those Northeast or the West Coast.
I can afford to live in the so called "good" areas as can many many people in the South so why do they then? Because they are tired of the extreme taxes and retarded controlling laws in the "good" areas. They are also not interested in the hypocritical elitism of those areas, people acting like they are so openminded and progressive, yet insulating themselves from minorites. Down here, we embrace our fellow man regardless of skin color and befriend him rather than isolate from him (or her)

Old 12-25-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Didn't some poll reveal that 23%(?) of Texans think Barack Obama is a Muslim?

I think Texas takes the cake when it comes to ignorance, sorry. Most of Texas is a backwards cesspool, but the cities like Austin and Houston aren't really ignorant, (mostly due to the fact that most of the people living in those cities are not native Texans).
This post here folks proves that some are very closeminded and ignorant in the North

Old 12-25-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I can afford to live in the so called "good" areas as can many many people in the South so why do they then? Because they are tired of the extreme taxes and retarded controlling laws in the "good" areas. They are also not interested in the hypocritical elitism of those areas, people acting like they are so openminded and progressive, yet insulating themselves from minorites. Down here, we embrace our fellow man regardless of skin color and befriend him rather than isolate from him (or her)
Like I said, the only reason Houston and Austin aren't backwards is because they are transplant meccas.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
This post here folks proves that some are very closeminded and ignorant in the North
Are you trying to argue with facts?

Old 12-25-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Like I said, the only reason Houston and Austin aren't backwards is because they are transplant meccas.
They are not magnets for Northeasterners, that is why they are not backwards. Add to that a huge number of highly intelligent immigrants from around the world

Old 12-25-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Are you trying to argue with facts?
You have never shown any facts, just backward thinking

Old 12-25-2008, 01:57 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,287,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Looks like you couldn't fully comprehend what I was saying regarding population in CT. I'll say it differently this time so hopefully you'll understand what I mean.

I never said CT keeps population out, but people here are *very* protective of open land, forests and wooded property. Most of the suburbs have minimum zoning (1.5 acres or above) for new homes, and every week (if not, every day) we hear of the latest lawsuit from a developer who was denied by any given town's P&Z board. They plan very carefully here and I think that's a good thing. What you're missing is that Connecticut has growth, just steady growth.

As for NY's 7 million Subway riders - you forgot about Metro-North Railroad (serving Connecticut), the PATH (serving NJ), Long Island Railroad, the thousands of buses and limos that stream toward Manhattan every weekday. This is the largest mass transportation network in the world. It is the very reason why NYC metro highways still move during rush hour.

Regarding the university area in Charlotte - try it. You'll see exactly what I mean. Even a native Charlotte resident here agreed that that section of town is nothing short of a nightmare.

Don't be so sure you know exactly what you're talking about before you experience things. Just a suggestion.
I understood you perfectly...that's why I responded. And guess what? In the South we have airports, internet, cable television, and anything else we need to have the same level experiences and information as some retard from NYC. Don't be so foolish to think otherwise.

I'm sure people are busting down the borders to try and get into CT...but the "controlled growth strategies" won't let them. Let me tell you the strategies are WORKING!

It's not very intelligent to talk WITHOUT knowing what you're talking about...your post is a good example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or