U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 04:39 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
lol..point taken...I dont even associate cowboys with Texas and did so even less after living there.
yeah it changes once you visit or live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 09:08 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,827,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Looks like you couldn't fully comprehend what I was saying regarding population in CT. I'll say it differently this time so hopefully you'll understand what I mean.

I never said CT keeps population out, but people here are *very* protective of open land, forests and wooded property. Most of the suburbs have minimum zoning (1.5 acres or above) for new homes, and every week (if not, every day) we hear of the latest lawsuit from a developer who was denied by any given town's P&Z board. They plan very carefully here and I think that's a good thing. What you're missing is that Connecticut has growth, just steady growth.

As for NY's 7 million Subway riders - you forgot about Metro-North Railroad (serving Connecticut), the PATH (serving NJ), Long Island Railroad, the thousands of buses and limos that stream toward Manhattan every weekday. This is the largest mass transportation network in the world. It is the very reason why NYC metro highways still move during rush hour.

Regarding the university area in Charlotte - try it. You'll see exactly what I mean. Even a native Charlotte resident here agreed that that section of town is nothing short of a nightmare.

Don't be so sure you know exactly what you're talking about before you experience things. Just a suggestion.
I know nothing about Charlotte, so I'm not commenting on that part-but as for CT, there is statistically no growth. In fact, if it was not for immigration from other countries, there would be a decline (this study was published about a year ago). The large cities have had major declines in recent decades and are some of the poorest cities in the nation (hartford, bridgeport, waterbury).

And the 'planning'? is often a nice term for NIMBY syndrome, where the rich country folks want to keep out anyone with less than a six figure income. That's what it's really about.

Look , I live in CT and am closing on a house next week (yea housing downturn, finally I can get one). I'm just keeping it real and not pretending we haven't issues-we do. The reasonable housing and taxes in many sunbelt areas are a GOOD thing, which I wish we had here.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:55 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
too bad texas isn't slowing down! these california and new england/midwest transplants won't stop fleeing down here. 4 TX cities are still in the top 10 in growth.

Ive only known one person who moved to TX, and that was on a job transfer. Ive known 2 that have moved to Chicago from TX, though.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:02 PM

16,737 posts, read 23,166,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
And guess what? In the South we have airports, internet, cable television, and anything else we need to have the same level experiences and information as some retard from NYC. Don't be so foolish to think otherwise.
Who the heck said anything about that? Defensive, much?

Old 12-25-2008, 11:07 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,878,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ive only known one person who moved to TX, and that was on a job transfer. Ive known 2 that have moved to Chicago from TX, though.
That's funny, I khow exactly 43 people from the Chicago metro and each one loves it here while I have met tons of other people that would like to maybe visit Chicago, but never live there. By the way, I love both cities, at least they are not Phoenix

Old 12-25-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I know nothing about Charlotte, so I'm not commenting on that part-but as for CT, there is statistically no growth. In fact, if it was not for immigration from other countries, there would be a decline (this study was published about a year ago). The large cities have had major declines in recent decades and are some of the poorest cities in the nation (hartford, bridgeport, waterbury).

And the 'planning'? is often a nice term for NIMBY syndrome, where the rich country folks want to keep out anyone with less than a six figure income. That's what it's really about.

Look , I live in CT and am closing on a house next week (yea housing downturn, finally I can get one). I'm just keeping it real and not pretending we haven't issues-we do. The reasonable housing and taxes in many sunbelt areas are a GOOD thing, which I wish we had here.
But there isn't a decline, so I'm not quite sure what your point is. Also I'd like to see this study cited. I agree that Hartford, Bridgeport and Waterbury aren't great cities to live - but in fairness Bridgeport's housing market is holding its value, and Waterbury is one of few cities that are significantly in the black.

As for NIMBYism, it's not such a bad thing. Hell, if it weren't for NIMBYism, we'd have sprawl like many other American cities. It's not just a CT thing, but a New England thing.

Housing prices are higher up here, but it's also widely known that in the South, salaries are lesser. It's all relative.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 12-25-2008 at 11:22 PM..

Old 12-25-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
That's funny, I khow exactly 43 people from the Chicago metro and each one loves it here while I have met tons of other people that would like to maybe visit Chicago, but never live there. By the way, I love both cities, at least they are not Phoenix
Exactly 43? You counted?

Old 12-25-2008, 11:14 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
But there isn't a decline, so I'm not quite sure what your point is. I agree that Hartford, Bridgeport and Waterbury aren't great cities to live - but in fairness Bridgeport's housing market is holding its value, and Waterbury is one of few cities that are significantly in the black.

As for NIMBYism, it's not such a bad thing. Hell, if it weren't for NIMBYism, we'd have sprawl like many other American cities. It's not just a CT thing, but a New England thing.

Housing prices are higher up here, but it's also widely known that in the South, salaries are lesser. It's all relative.
Salaries are lower but it is usually enough to support you and your family, unlike in the north where your still struggling even if salaries are higher.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:29 PM

0 posts, read 1,351,147 times
Quote:
You've obviously never traveled very extensively if you have to ask a question about the appeal of living in the Sunbelt or anywhere else for that matter. Nobody here is really interested in explaining it to you either.
Actually, I've been everywhere and back and I can tell you that people with high standards of living, i.e. people who choose to live in and around metropolitan areas would never step foot in the booming "sunbelt" areas like Phoenix let alone LIVE in one of those disgustingly hideous, sprawled out, track-mall infested "desirable" cookie cutter community flooded cities.

Quote:
Good areas? NY, CT, etc are exactly the areas they are running AWAY from! What kind of nonsense is that about the top 5% of new white collar professionals? What are you talking about and where do you get your information?
.....running AWAY from those areas because THEY CAN'T AFFORD IT!!! There is a reason those areas are $$$$! Common folk can flee the northeast and west coast for decades, but NY/SF/LA will ALWAYS be the best and most desirable. Period.

If I'm seeing right, the most represented area on this list is the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area. Any Texas ? Arizona? Georgia? North Carolina? Nope. Notice all of these cities are cities where people are more likely to move OUT of, which happen to be Northeast/California. Good places are usually expensive and the people who can afford to live in good areas stay put. The ones who can't afford it leave.

Last edited by Americanboy; 12-26-2008 at 12:25 AM..

Old 12-25-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Good areas? NY, CT, etc are exactly the areas they are running AWAY from! You've obviously never traveled very extensively if you have to ask a question about the appeal of living in the Sunbelt or anywhere else for that matter. Nobody here is really interested in explaining it to you either.

What kind of nonsense is that about the top 5% of new white collar professionals? What are you talking about and where do you get your information?
I think the question was meant to be rhetorical buddy.

You make it sound like there's a mass exodus of people from this area. lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or