U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:46 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,268,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think the question was meant to be rhetorical buddy.

You make it sound like there's a mass exodus of people from this area. lol...
Um...there is.

No response to that other pile of crap you call "facts". It speaks for itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 08:24 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,993,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I beg your pardon? Chicagoland was in the top 10 fastest growing metros in the nation this year. And places like NYC continue to grow, but you dont notice it as much because the population is already gigantic. 50K people could move into NYC and the % change would be miniscule. But put those 50K people in, say, Nevada, and the % change is much more drastic. Capeesh?

Oh hell to tha nawgh!! Please show me where you got this stat from. The top 10? Not hardly. I can name 10 off the top of my head that would have higher growth rates than Chicago without even looking up the numbers.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Down south. I frequently travel to Charlotte and I can't believe the gridlock there during rush hour!
Charlotte doesn’t have the best traffic, but it’s on par with other places its size, and certainly not as worse as larger places. Take it from someone who’s also lived in Atlanta and Dallas, and visited just about every city in the country.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylehny View Post
Actually, I've been everywhere and back and I can tell you that people with high standards of living, i.e. people who choose to live in and around metropolitan areas would never step foot in the booming "sunbelt" areas like Phoenix let alone LIVE in one of those disgustingly hideous, sprawled out, track-mall infested "desirable" cookie cutter community flooded cities.

.....running AWAY from those areas because THEY CAN'T AFFORD IT!!! There is a reason those areas are $$$$! Common folk can flee the northeast and west coast for decades, but NY/SF/LA will ALWAYS be the best and most desirable. Period.

If I'm seeing right, the most represented area on this list is the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area. Any Texas ? Arizona? Georgia? North Carolina? Nope. Notice all of these cities are cities where people are more likely to move OUT of, which happen to be Northeast/California. Good places are usually expensive and the people who can afford to live in good areas stay put. The ones who can't afford it leave.
One of the main reasons folks from the North are running down South is because their high salaries up their mean nothing. Many of them understand, as they have for years, that you can make a $100,000 a year up there and still be broke!! While in the South you can make half that and live much better. I mean, seriously, who wants to make six digits a year, and still be forced to have a roommate, not be able to go on vacations, can’t buy what you want, when you want it? What’s the point?

2008 Salary Value Index – Complete List of Cities*:
Link: http://www.salary.com/personal/layou...26&isdefault=0

Related Article:
Are You in the Best City for Your Job?
A high salary goes only so far if the cost of living is even higher. If you want your dollar to go further, maybe it's time to relocate

“…Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte, N.C., rose to the top for many of the jobs because they're affordable cities with competitive salaries. New York, San Francisco, Washington, Los Angeles, and Boston, which have some of the highest salaries, sank to the bottom because residents there pay through the nose for real estate, parking, groceries, and almost everything else…”

Article: Are You in the Best City for Your Job? - BusinessWeek
____

Old 12-26-2008, 08:32 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,285,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Oh hell to tha nawgh!! Please show me where you got this stat from. The top 10? Not hardly. I can name 10 off the top of my head that would have higher growth rates than Chicago without even looking up the numbers.
Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas grows more than any other U.S. city - Mar. 27, 2008

Old 12-26-2008, 08:35 AM

The Chicago figure is not a "growth rate" figure, it doesn't take into consideration who "moved out".

Old 12-26-2008, 08:41 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,743,366 times
Quote:
One of the main reasons folks from the North are running down South is because their high salaries up their mean nothing. Many of them understand, as they have for years, that you can make a $100,000 a year up there and still be broke!! While in the South you can make half that and live much better.
This may be true in southern cities that pay decent wages (for example Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas). But this is not true in states like Florida where the wages are substatially lower than most states.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:54 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,285,896 times
Quote:
The Chicago figure is not a "growth rate" figure, it doesn't take into consideration who "moved out".
What are you talking about? These figures are US census estimates for current population.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
What are you talking about? These figures are US census estimates for current population.
The quote was that Chicago had one of the "fastest growth rates" in the country...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I beg your pardon? Chicagoland was in the top 10 fastest growing metros in the nation this year.
Something "growing" versus something "growing fast" are two different things. Chicago added a lot of people, so did a lot of places, but what was Chicago's "growth rate"? For example, despite all the people those places added in that top graphic, none "grew faster" than Palm Coast Florida. That's the point, that Chicago is not one of the "fastest growing metros in the country", which is what the other poster said.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:28 AM

3,323 posts, read 9,569,145 times
I would just like to point out that not every place up north is expensive. I live a place that's cheaper than most areas of the south. People from my area dont' move down there because it's cheaper, they move there for teaching jobs and sometimes the weather. Then once they start having kids they try their best to move back home because it's a great place to raise kids, closer to family that can help out, and there are a lot of kid friendly options w/in an hour of here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or