Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:46 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,203,199 times

Advertisements

Today's USA Today newspaper has a good article, in reference to the Sun Belt showing signs of losing its appeal and population growth, that began to surge in the 1980s.

A good list of each state and its population percentage/raw numbers is also included in the article:

Census estimates point to end of Sun Belt's population boom - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 02:05 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,433,950 times
I don't see this as some long term trend, it generally seems to be a direct effect of the housing downturn and economy, which is only temporary. Just look at the mess in states like AZ, FL, and NV; who wouldn't expect some major effects from that? Once the economy picks up the South and Southwest will still be an attractive place to relocate for the same reasons it has been for a while. Unless the taxes, regulation, and cost of living goes down in the Northern states and jobs magically appear in rust belt cities I don't see the long term trend of migration southward stopping anytime soon, just slowing for the time being.

The only thing they need to do is have better planning and control of their development so they don't repeat the same mistakes of other cities like LA.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:22 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,435,510 times
I don't see how the Sunbelt boom is over. A lot of Sunbelt states had a large increase. Northern states had small increases.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:42 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,786,279 times
I think the title of that article is a bit misleading. Florida and Nevada were two states hit hardest during the housing crisis, and actually Florida has a lot of "halfbacks" leaving--those who are originally from the North, but are moving to places like the Carolinas. A lot of the growth that Nevada was getting has now shifted to Arizona. I expect more growth in the interior Western states.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Today's USA Today newspaper has a good article, in reference to the Sun Belt showing signs of losing its appeal and population growth, that began to surge in the 1980s.

A good list of each state and its population percentage/raw numbers is also included in the article:

Census estimates point to end of Sun Belt's population boom - USATODAY.com
The part I bolded above was not in the article. We won't see the sunbelt lose it's "appeal" in our lifetime. The Northeast and Midwest will never see growth like the Sunbelt and Western states. What would be their appeal? Once the economy turns, the migration wave will pick up in full steam. And its hard to say there's been any type of decline when the fastest growing states are still in the Sunbelt, WTF?????

Last edited by Carolina Blue; 12-23-2008 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-23-2008, 03:09 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,479,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
The Northeast and Midwest will never see growth like the Sunbelt and Western states.
Thank God. Explosive growth has its drawbacks.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:11 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,730,514 times
People just aren't moving in droves like they were because of the economy. The economy will improve, and people will begin to move again - in droves, away from the misery that they experienced - to new regions...the South and West.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:12 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,730,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Thank God. Explosive growth has its drawbacks.
Yes it does...most of the drawbacks are to the empty and dying places left behind.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:12 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,912,662 times
why is it so challenging for people to figure out that the N.E. has already boomed beyond belief due to immigration and it is now just expanding to the rest of the country?

Old 12-23-2008, 03:13 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,203,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
The part I bolded above was not in the article. We won't see the sunbelt lose it's "appeal" in our lifetime. The Northeast and Midwest will never see growth like the Sunbelt and Western states. What would be their appeal? Once the economy turns, the migration wave will pick up in full steam. And its hard to say there's been any type of decline when the fatest growing states are still in the Sunbelt, WTF?????
Don't be so dramatic. Bad choice of words on my part.

I agree that the article is somewhat misleading. My wording of what was in the article was typed quickly, so I didn't think it through as well as I should've.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.