U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:38 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,709,129 times

Advertisements

Big time Chicago.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:48 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,724,628 times
Chicago or Boston, no question about it. San Francisco had nice subways with the cushion seats, but the buses took forever to get to the stop. I stood at a bus stop for almost an hour in SF.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 AM

4,953 posts, read 8,545,662 times
DC all day long! Second largest (ridership) subway in the country.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:59 AM

18,643 posts, read 27,082,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
DC and Chicago... the rest of them are kind of lackluster... I have never road Philly so can't say...

SF can't compete with DC/Chicago though... and definitely not ATL or MIAMI (other trans I have gotten around on)

Paris is the best I've ever been on though.
what makes you think SF can't compete with ATL or Miami? SF's system is more extensive than either city. Has more alternatives as well. SF is right behind DC/Chicago but far ahead of Miami and Atlanta.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:03 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,583,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
what makes you think SF can't compete with ATL or Miami? SF's system is more extensive than either city. Has more alternatives as well. SF is right behind DC/Chicago but far ahead of Miami and Atlanta.
Sorry let me clarify, SF is much better than Miami and Atlanta...should have started another sentence The airport shuttles around the Bay are also cool.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:38 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,058,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
The term "best" is subjective. To me, a radical anarcho-capitalist, the best "public" transportation is none at all: I prefer free competition of private (non-governmental) roads, rental vehicles, taxis, buses, etc, etc, etc. Rail transport is an inflexible relic of the 20th century kept alive by government interventionism, especially in the fields of energy production. In a purely free market, we'd probably all be flying around in huge hover-trailers by now! So, to answer your question, I'd have praise for cities with good airports, roads, and taxi companies. I hear a company in Singapore is looking into helicopter buses / taxis, which I think is just awesome!
Helicopter buses/taxis? Let's see.. how can we make cities more noisy, obnoxious and chaotic than they already are...?

Old 12-24-2008, 12:54 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,159,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston's and Dallas' mass transit system which involves everything including rail, bus, and more is about the same as Atlanta and Miami. Not to mention that even though it's only light rail, Dallas and Houston are currently expanding it's system while Atlanta and Miami hasn't for years.
Yeah, but what is interesting is that despite not expanding for 12 years, MARTA's daily ridership is more than Houston, Dallas and Miami combined.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:02 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,726,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yeah, but what is interesting is that despite not expanding for 12 years, MARTA's daily ridership is more than Houston, Dallas and Miami combined.

HELLO!!!!!!!!!! and they are expanding with the Beltline and everything Atlanta has had heavy rail since the 80s so we have been ahead in in mass transit than most southern citys

Old 12-24-2008, 01:04 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,159,739 times
Actually, we've had heavy rail since the late 70's.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:40 PM

706 posts, read 1,343,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Your post almost reminded me of the tyrades Sheldon, from "The Big Bang theory", goes on when someone asks him a simple question, lol.
Yeah, but I'm just trying to broaden the perspective here. The irrational religion of subway map worship needs to be challenged once in a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Helicopter buses/taxis? Let's see.. how can we make cities more noisy, obnoxious and chaotic than they already are...?
High-tech noise reduction breakthroughs is one of the things that's making urban helicopter transport viable. It probably would work better in Singapore than in most cities, because it has a huge number of tall (but not too tall) buildings packed densely together with helicopter pads on every roof, and they're building helicopter pads on water along the beaches, etc.

You want to avoid "obnoxious and chaotic", stay out of densely populated areas altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or