U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:46 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Atlanta ridership numbers blow away Miami, Dallas, and Houston. Actually, Marta daily ridership is double the daily ridership of Houston, Dallas, and Miami systems combined:

Atlanta - 294,000
Dallas - 65,900
Miami - 65,500
Houston - 39,500

Atlanta is expanding it's system with LRT that will double the size of the current system. The last expansion was adding the North Line with 5 additional stations up to the North Springs station.
Like I said earlier, that is because Atlanta has heavy rail and Dallas and Houston does not and Atlanta has had it's rail system longer.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:08 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,725,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Atlanta has a nice heavy rail system, but I wouldn't exactly call it extensive. If the system didn't go out to Hartsfied, the numbers would be much lower, and comparable to Dallas. However, MARTA has been around since the 70s so it would definatly have higher ridership than Dallas.

Its not xtensive but it goes to the main areas in atlanta the numbers would still be high even if it didnt go to the airport the east and west lines are always pack and the north and south lines the airport station does not make up majority of the numbers I ride marta everyday and the north line almost hits alpharetta and the east line almost hits stone moutain and northeast goes to doraville the shortest would be the west bound to HE holmes and bankhead. But at 5 oclock the station gets really pack because most people downtown are on the trains from 5 points all the way to buckhead there are tons of people waiting to ride so the airport is not the reason why the numbers are so high. And you would think by Houston and Dallas being bigger why didnt they start the rail systems a long time ago and also who wants to sit on Buses all day transfering from bus to bus

Old 12-27-2008, 12:55 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Its not xtensive but it goes to the main areas in atlanta the numbers would still be high even if it didnt go to the airport the east and west lines are always pack and the north and south lines the airport station does not make up majority of the numbers I ride marta everyday and the north line almost hits alpharetta and the east line almost hits stone moutain and northeast goes to doraville the shortest would be the west bound to HE holmes and bankhead. But at 5 oclock the station gets really pack because most people downtown are on the trains from 5 points all the way to buckhead there are tons of people waiting to ride so the airport is not the reason why the numbers are so high. And you would think by Houston and Dallas being bigger why didnt they start the rail systems a long time ago and also who wants to sit on Buses all day transfering from bus to bus
You can blame that on the city, people in these cities want rail but the city is being stupid and wasting money on all these statistics and studies. Obviously many people do since the ridership numbers for Houston's bus system is over 300k.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:26 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
What are the system stats?

I'd think the systems we are focused on are those of DC, Chicago, San Fran and Boston. Others are good, but I don't think they have the coverage or ridership to put them above those mentioned.

I'll do Chicago since it's what I know (ride it every day)

Heavy Rail:

Daily Ridership Average: 705,000
Stations: 144
Train Lines: 8
Miles of Track: 224.1

CTA Bus:

Daily Ridership Average: 1,139,000
Routes: 154
Route Miles: 2,517
Cities Served: 40

Commuter Rail:

Daily Average Ridership: 336,000
Train Lines: 11
Stations: 230
Track Miles: 495

Suburban Bus Service

Daily Average Ridership: 130,000
Routes: 240
Cities Served: 210

Metro Total:

Daily Ridership: 2,310,000
Trail Stations: 374
Train Lines: 19
Bus Routes: 394

Commuter Rail:

El/Subway Lines:

Last edited by Chicago60614; 12-27-2008 at 01:48 PM..

Old 12-27-2008, 04:41 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,137,196 times
Chi Town

Old 12-27-2008, 05:31 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
As much as I been to Chicago and am currently visiting now for the holidays, I never rode the subways. I do think DC has the 2nd best rail transit system in the US. But Chicago has the 2nd best mass transit system in the US.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:27 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Atlanta ridership numbers blow away Miami, Dallas, and Houston. Actually, Marta daily ridership is double the daily ridership of Houston, Dallas, and Miami systems combined:

Atlanta - 294,000
Dallas - 65,900
Miami - 65,500
Houston - 39,500

Atlanta is expanding it's system with LRT that will double the size of the current system. The last expansion was adding the North Line with 5 additional stations up to the North Springs station.
What happens when you convert it to riders per mile? What if you look at the entire system, all modes? Just askin'!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:49 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,152,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Atlanta has a nice heavy rail system, but I wouldn't exactly call it extensive. If the system didn't go out to Hartsfied, the numbers would be much lower, and comparable to Dallas. However, MARTA has been around since the 70s so it would definatly have higher ridership than Dallas.
Sorry, but even before the Airport station opened our ridership was still higher than the combined ridership of these systems today. And how does MARTA being older than DART or Metro have to do with ridership? And how do you explain Dallas's measly numbers when they have almost double the trackage of Atlanta?

What this comes down to - once again, is that no matter what Atlanta does, it gets absolutely zero respect from too many people here.

MARTA could be gold-plated with higher mileage and ridership than the DC Metro, and somehow I feel it would still be disparaged somehow.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:53 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,619,492 times
I think MARTA enjoys high levels of ridership because it actually hits most of the major job centers in the region, as well as the airport. While it's true that the rail system isn't as extensive, many people drive to MARTA stations and commute to work in congested employment centers. This is especially true for the tens of thousands of city, county, state, and federal employees who work in Downtown Atlanta. Additionally, many tourists and convention attendees catch MARTA from the aiport to their hotels along Peachtree or the World Congress Center--all of which are near MARTA stops (the World Congress Center actually has its own stop). Adding to the high ridership are the hundreds of thousands of locals who use the bus service that connects their homes to MARTA stations. The most fascinating aspect out of all of this is that MARTA gets no support from the state. Rather it's almost entirely funded by local sales tax revenue in Fulton and DeKalb counties.

On a final note, I think that once the DART system builds the proposed line to DFW, ridership will increase exponentially. I also think Houston's system will incresae once light rail connects to major job centers in Uptown and elsehwere.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:42 PM

4,953 posts, read 8,539,933 times
Johnatl,

I don't think MARTA is older than Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or