U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:18 AM

57 posts, read 148,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think Portland has a good transit system. It is extensive and being extended constantly. It is made up of light rail, buses and streetcars. I however have questioned its operations and although I do think it is an excellent system, I have to give it a failing grade. The system is funded heavily by gov't subsidies and the cost is $2.30 just for a bus ride, since the fare zones are designed to make most trips the most expensive fare. The fareless square is used extensively by crime types and the entire Light rail/streetcar system except the bus is on the honor system. The amount of people not paying for tickets on the Rail end of this system is an absolute disgrace and the paying customer ends up funding these people by the many added fare increases. Another fare increase is scheduled for this summer bringing a bus or rail ticket close to $3.00. It takes much more than extensive transit systems that run on efficient time schedules to make a system one of the best. It takes honor, integrity and fairness on both the part of the transit company and its customers.
I've never been to Portland, but have heard it does have a great system. Especially, for light rail, which tends not to be as expansive as heavy rail.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:18 PM

598 posts, read 1,523,209 times
Having read through this thread, for whatever reason there appears to be some misinformation/lack of education regarding Philadelphia's SEPTA system.

SEPTA's Service Area covers 2,200 square miles and 1.1 million people use SEPTA on an average weekday.

SEPTA is one of only two truly multi-modal transit properties in the United States (Boston is the other) with bus, subway, high speed rail, trackless trolley, Regional Rail and Paratransit vehicles.

SEPTA stats in terms of routes:

City Bus Routes: 74
Suburban Bus Routes: 43
Light Rail Lines: 9
Trackless Trolley Routes: 2
Subway-Elevated Lines: 2
Regional Rail Lines : 13

SEPTA is listed sixth as the most utilized in terms of transit cities, but two ahead of it are skewed in terms of statistics. Jersey City is number 2, but obviously feeding off of number 1 NYC in terms of numbers. San Francisco is number 5 but as a city of 47 square miles with 800,000 people dealing with a distinct density advantage. Philadelphia's city limits encompass 127 square miles and 1.4 million residents. One can actually function with a car in Philly, versus SF.

http://www.septa.org/maps/click_map.html

Old 06-23-2009, 11:20 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,772,344 times
Chiming in on the SEPTA, Philly deal. There are many neighborhoods that flank the city where you would think that you were in an older suburb in terms of development (denser than most post WWII suburbs but still less dense than the city) so it's VERY feasible to move around in a car in Philly, DEPENDENT on neighborhood and route.

SEPTA still with it's problems (all transpo infra has it) is bang up from what I can tell. The main N-S and E-W rail arteries are VERY important for getting downtown. Trolleys while more isolated seem to serve their relative regions well. And the regional rail is a very useful alternative for MANY suburban commuters, I was surprised how many people were on trains during a reverse commute (city to suburb) off peak. Not PACKED by any means but far from empty. Plus travel time for simple routes seems relatively competitive with road trips during major traffic times. (I can't speak too much for weekend trips though).

For the area, SEPTA does pretty darn good.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:24 PM

727 posts, read 1,688,912 times
Pittsburgh

Old 06-25-2009, 09:54 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,251,307 times
There are several transit discussions going on in the city vs city room, where these discussion now should be taking place. Please see the active discussion there to continue, or do a search there for the full list. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or