U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:48 PM

3,667 posts, read 8,837,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Office Space wasn't supposed to be anywhere specific, as it's also very representative of Silicon Valley. There was a license plate shown (Lumbergh's "My Prsche") and it clearly was a generic state plate and not one from Texas. That being said, Peter's neighbor says at one point that he's gotta be at a construction site at Las Colinas in the morning, which is in Irving, in the DFW area.
Yeah, there license plates just have an American flag on them. I have heard that the movie was filmed in the Dallas area, and since Mike Judge is from Texas it makes sense for him to have it set in his home state.

Back to the topic, here are my picks:

New York City - (too many to choose) but first one that comes to mind is "American Gangster", showing how crime and drugs plagued the streets in the 70's. For modern day NYC, "Elf" and "Enchanted". As corny as it sounds, those movies show many cultural aspects and sites to the POV of an outsider.

Los Angeles - (also way too many to choose) but ones that come to mind are "Speed" (the mid 90's was when I fell in love with L.A., about when that movie came out and I remember flying into LAX and seeing the big freeways and it made me think of that movie). Another one is "Falling Down" (about how the negative sides of L.A. can get to some people). "Boyz N The Hood" portrays South Central in the early 90's, and "Pretty Woman" portrays Beverly Hills.

Chicago - First one that comes to mind is "Home Alone". Also "Ferris Bueler's Day Off" and "Risky Business" show a lot of Chicago.

Miami - Bad Boys 1&2, and 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Atlanta - "Fled", "ATL", "Stomp the Yard", and of course many of Tyler Perry's movies

Seattle - "Sleepless in Seattle", "Singles"

San Francisco - Many romantic comedies, such as "So I Married An Axe Murderer", "The Sweetest Thing", "40 Days/40 Nights"

San Diego - "Anchorman". Many San Diegans have strong civic pride like the ones in the movie.

Detroit - Movies about crime, such as "Out of Sight". Also "8 Mile".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 09:49 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,804,298 times
Rushmore was filmed in Houston.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:02 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,234,845 times
Adventures in Babysitting for Chicago. That's a great movie that is unfortunately not on tv enough.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:36 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,451,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboyzero View Post
Chicago apparently has a TON when I did a search for it. Category:Films set in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, from this list the ones that stand out as being really Chicago-centric for me are:

Adventures in Babysitting
Backdraft
Barbershop
Blues Brothers
The Break Up
The Breakfast Club
Chicago (obviously...)
Derailed
Ferris Buller's Day Off
The Fugitive
High Fidelity
Home Alone
My Best Friend's Wedding
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Risky Business
Save the Last Dance
Soulfood
Stir of Echoes
The Weather Man
While You Were Sleeping

There is a bunch of movies too that clearly take place here, but aren't ever acknowledged like Stranger Than Fiction, Wanted, and Dark Knight (sorta)
Didn't most of The Breakfast Club take place in a high school library? I'm trying to think what was particularly "Chicagoesque" about the movie and I'm not coming up with anything. The only exterior shot I remember was at the end...

Old 12-24-2008, 11:06 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,404,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
L. A. Story with Steve Martin made gentle fun of Los Angeles culture.
Sleepless in Seattle made me want to move there...the scenes filmed around Lake Union were gorgeous.
The Philadelphia Story poked fun at Main Line society.
A Streetcar Named Desire had working class New Orleans as its' backdrop. So did The Big Easy.
About Last Night was based on the play Sexual Perversity in Chicago; that city was featured prominently in that film.
Miami Blues and Absence of Malice featured a lot of Miami scenery.
Something to Talk About and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil did the same for Savannah.
Same for San Francisco and the Dirty Harry movies...SF was also a star in Vertigo.
Turn of the century life in St Louis was romanticized in Meet Me in St Louis.
Lameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 12-24-2008, 11:09 PM

23,052 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Lameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Oh, yeah? Where's your list, genius?

Old 12-24-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Rushmore was filmed in Houston.
I think Wes tries to film all of his movies in Houston

Old 12-24-2008, 11:18 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,336,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboyzero View Post
Chicago apparently has a TON when I did a search for it. Category:Films set in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, from this list the ones that stand out as being really Chicago-centric for me are:

Adventures in Babysitting
Backdraft
Barbershop
Blues Brothers
The Break Up
The Breakfast Club
Chicago (obviously...)
Derailed
Ferris Buller's Day Off
The Fugitive
High Fidelity
Home Alone
My Best Friend's Wedding
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Risky Business
Save the Last Dance
Soulfood
Stir of Echoes
The Weather Man
While You Were Sleeping

There is a bunch of movies too that clearly take place here, but aren't ever acknowledged like Stranger Than Fiction, Wanted, and Dark Knight (sorta)
A lot of my favorite movies are Chicago-based. Add Mean Girls to the list too. It takes place in Evanston.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, yeah? Where's your list, genius?
I'm not making a list. I'm just commenting that Main Line bashing is lameeeeeeee

Old 12-25-2008, 01:43 AM

7,386 posts, read 10,064,312 times
Burt Reynolds in his heyday made several movies in Georgia, "The Longest Yard" was filmed at the state prison in Reidsville using actual prisoners in rolls.

The "Smokey and the Bandit" movies, "Deliverance," "Gator," and "Cannonball Run" were all filmed in Georgia.

"Sharky's Machine" shows late 70s Atlanta in all its grit and glory. I rented it recently and it's fun to see how much the city has changed in such a short time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or