U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:07 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,729,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Yes, so many that it's pointless to even attempt to list them all. I hereby declare NYC and L.A. excluded from this game.
I'd say it depends on the movie. The OP asked for movies that are a close fit with the essence of the cities where they are set. Movies that really capture the feel of life in LA or NYC would still qualify.

Some examples:

Hollywoodland. When I was little, a local television station had re-runs of Superman, and I was a big fan. So I looked forward to Hollywoodland. Unfortunately, I found the movie to be a bit disappointing. Still, it's a good example of a movie that captures the '50's film noir tone, in a way that would not have fit well with any different setting than Hollywood/LA of the '50's.

Summer of Sam. Kind of obvious in a way, since it was about well known events in NYC, but, being a Spike Lee flick, it definitely is filmed in a way that captures something of that city's particular vibe.

Going back quite a few years . . . Death Wish. When this one came out in '74, NYC had the highest crime rate in the country, and a reputation as a rough town. Death Wish needed to be set in a Northeastern city, or maybe Chicago, in order to show a realistic cross section of attitudes toward crime and punishment found among a jumble of psuedo-liberal urban sophisticates, hard-working regular folks dealing with the threat of crime in their daily lives, and jaded old-city cops not totally unfamiliar with corruption. This movie probably could have worked fine if it had been set in any older American city, but it fit very well being set in the place regarded at the time as the big dangerous monster of a city, that seemed to represent especially well everything wrong with big cities in a time when the values associated with urban living were frequently questioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 09:19 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,729,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I would also add Mystic River as a good Boston-based movie.

Do I even dare mention Fever Pitch? Funny thing about that movie, is that I've read several times that the producers, cast, and director insist that the changes in the script to account for the fact that the Red Sox obliged by happening to win the World Series while the movie was being filmed did not substantially alter the script. I dunno. The story of repeated disappointment leading up to the big moment when it finally all worked out right made the depiction of a frustrated Sox fan's life and the love story perfect parallel sub-plots. I can't see it as being the same movie if not for the chance timing of its being filmed throughout the baseball season in '04.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:59 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,240,132 times
This described what life was like in areas of NYC with a heavy mob presence, from about the 1950s-1980s. Such a great movie, a must see. If you're from NYC you can really relate.

YouTube - A Bronx Tale Trailer

Old 01-16-2010, 03:48 AM

4 posts, read 4,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt486 View Post
The Deer Hunter was filmed in and around Bellaire, Ohio and Steubenville, OH actually. Not sure why. Rather close to Pittsburgh, maybe an hour drive or less. I live pretty close to both. They're along the Ohio River in the Valley.
Actually this part of the Ohio River is not a valley. The Ohio begins in Pittsburgh and forms the border of PA/OH about 30 miles north of Steubenville, where it takes a sharp turn and starts to travel south instead of west. You can travel the river from that point to Cincinnati and you will be in the Appalachian foothills. All the counties you would pass through are part of the Appalachian Plateau and. Or in other words foothills.

You can travel down Highway 7 through most of these counties. You have the river on one side about 50 feet below you and hills with 300-500 feet relief on the other side. So the river literally cuts right through the hills Particularly near Steubenville the hills are taller than any part of the state. Or perhaps just more steep.

So anyway when I seen your post and thought of the hunting scenes in the movie. I can tell you that is exactly what it looks like along the Ohio River, at least until Cincy. Even there you still have pretty good sized hills, but there begins to be a "flat" area near the river. THen another 50 miles in your in the plains. THe areas of Ohio that are flat are either near Lake Erie or in the Central and Western part of the state, in the Miami and Scioto River Valleys.

Also the towns that populate the area around Steubenville are lost in time. To this day they look as if you stepped into the 1950s/early 60s. No progress. Once they dried the coal up they left the area to rot. Just like the rest of Appalachia. Of course in KY and elsewhere they have begun to just strip the hills. WHich basically is cutting off the top of the hill/mountain and stripping all the coal out of it instead of tunneling a mine which leaves behind more than half the coal. Problem is you have no hill when your done. Just a pile of mud.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:30 AM

4 posts, read 4,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Actually he says "Vascalinas" but of course this is a reference to Las Colinas. I remember the first time I saw this movie. I was with friends and we were drinkin and smokin. It was my first time to watch the movie. I remember tripping out and saying to my friends "omg this looks like Las Colinas!"
I think he does actually say Las Colinas. It just the way he says it. Once I looked this up. I rewound back and listened and you can hear the L.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:21 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,962,576 times
Cadillac records took place in Chicago but was filmed in Newark, NJ.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:01 PM

1,964 posts, read 1,580,661 times
Unless its NYC, LA, or Miami, it won't be in a movie.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:05 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,988,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Unless its NYC, LA, or Miami, it won't be in a movie.
Haha that is very true! I always though L.A. would be the easiest because most of the film studios are there, but when they want to venture they just do Miami. Chicago gets in the movies as well. And Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or