Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:41 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Office Space: Austin, TX. Makes fun of techie office culture such as 'Dell drones', lame restaurant scene (full of chain places), apartment culture with weird neighbors, young people trying to make it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Hmm, I think that movie is very familiar to a certain demographic in Dallas, Austin, or Houston in Texas. It was filmed in the former two, but it takes place in Houston. Same with Slacker, but I would concede it to be more of an "Austin" movie than anything. Speaking of that, I thought Dazed and Confused depicted life among bored high school students in a small Texas town really well. Captured it perfectly, in fact. I know something about that.
Oh you're right, it was supposed to be in some suburb of Houston. Why was it filmed in Austin and Dallas then? Since most of these cities' tech companies are located in the suburbs (rather than the cities), which are all similar among the Texas cities, this would work. The scenery I could tell wasn't Houston, you don't see any big trees when they're at that house party (which looks exactly like some places I've seen in Pflugerville outside of Austin).

Now Slacker, I know for sure that is supposed to be about Austin.
Reality Bites is a Houston movie. So is Terms of Endearment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 12:51 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Oh you're right, it was supposed to be in some suburb of Houston. Why was it filmed in Austin and Dallas then? Since most of these cities' tech companies are located in the suburbs (rather than the cities), which are all similar among the Texas cities, this would work. The scenery I could tell wasn't Houston, you don't see any big trees when they're at that house party (which looks exactly like some places I've seen in Pflugerville outside of Austin).

Now Slacker, I know for sure that is supposed to be about Austin.
Reality Bites is a Houston movie. So is Terms of Endearment.
Office Space wasn't supposed to be anywhere specific, as it's also very representative of Silicon Valley. There was a license plate shown (Lumbergh's "My Prsche") and it clearly was a generic state plate and not one from Texas. That being said, Peter's neighbor says at one point that he's gotta be at a construction site at Las Colinas in the morning, which is in Irving, in the DFW area.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:26 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Office Space wasn't supposed to be anywhere specific, as it's also very representative of Silicon Valley. There was a license plate shown (Lumbergh's "My Prsche") and it clearly was a generic state plate and not one from Texas. That being said, Peter's neighbor says at one point that he's gotta be at a construction site at Las Colinas in the morning, which is in Irving, in the DFW area.
Actually he says "Vascalinas" but of course this is a reference to Las Colinas. I remember the first time I saw this movie. I was with friends and we were drinkin and smokin. It was my first time to watch the movie. I remember tripping out and saying to my friends "omg this looks like Las Colinas!"

Old 12-24-2008, 02:53 PM

118 posts, read 537,539 times
The Deer Hunter was filmed in and around Bellaire, Ohio and Steubenville, OH actually. Not sure why. Rather close to Pittsburgh, maybe an hour drive or less. I live pretty close to both. They're along the Ohio River in the Valley.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:58 PM

118 posts, read 537,539 times
Quick IMDB search says that yes, you are correct too. It was partially filmed in Pitt. and many other similar cities like Youngstown and Cleveland. Similar by old steel mills, that is.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:08 PM

312 posts, read 507,131 times

how about "the newsies"?

Old 12-24-2008, 03:26 PM

143 posts, read 290,185 times
Chicago apparently has a TON when I did a search for it. Category:Films set in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, from this list the ones that stand out as being really Chicago-centric for me are:

Adventures in Babysitting
Backdraft
Barbershop
Blues Brothers
The Break Up
The Breakfast Club
Chicago (obviously...)
Derailed
Ferris Buller's Day Off
The Fugitive
High Fidelity
Home Alone
My Best Friend's Wedding
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Risky Business
Save the Last Dance
Soulfood
Stir of Echoes
The Weather Man
While You Were Sleeping

There is a bunch of movies too that clearly take place here, but aren't ever acknowledged like Stranger Than Fiction, Wanted, and Dark Knight (sorta)

Old 12-24-2008, 05:07 PM

217 posts, read 292,296 times
Los Angeles
- Beverly Hills chihuahua
- Hancock
- Bolt
- Quarantine

theres thousand of others to

Old 12-24-2008, 06:31 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanityRules View Post
Los Angeles
- Beverly Hills chihuahua
- Hancock
- Bolt
- Quarantine

theres thousand of others to
Yes, so many that it's pointless to even attempt to list them all. I hereby declare NYC and L.A. excluded from this game.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:00 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
A Bronx tale. Epitomizes areas of NYC from that time period up until the 1980s or so when the mafia started leaving the city for the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.