U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:53 AM

28 posts, read 113,743 times

Advertisements

I was watching "Bottle Rocket" the other day and it occurred to me that the movie really feels very Dallas/North Texas and it is difficult to imagine that movie taking place in any other city. Are there other movies that you feel accurately capture the essence of a city? Obviously there are a ton of movies which take place in L.A. and New York without necessarily evoking a culture particular to the city though certain Woody Allen movies are thought to be particularly New York in nature. In any case in order to qualify it can't simply be that the movie was filmed in a certain city, but the movie must accurately represent some aspect of said city. I'm hoping that we can build up a list of excellent movies recommended by people who actually have experienced these cities so that one could visit another city through a movie and stereotypes/false impressions of cities might be dispelled. So any takers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 04:36 AM

4,180 posts, read 13,047,443 times
There are other threads of this nature but for Baltimore: Anything by John Waters or Barry Levinson are great examples of the city in film. Of course, on a darker note, "The Wire" and television series was about Baltimore also-it's lesser known areas.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:01 AM

23,049 posts, read 35,003,509 times
L. A. Story with Steve Martin made gentle fun of Los Angeles culture.
Sleepless in Seattle made me want to move there...the scenes filmed around Lake Union were gorgeous.
The Philadelphia Story poked fun at Main Line society.
A Streetcar Named Desire had working class New Orleans as its' backdrop. So did The Big Easy.
About Last Night was based on the play Sexual Perversity in Chicago; that city was featured prominently in that film.
Miami Blues and Absence of Malice featured a lot of Miami scenery.
Something to Talk About and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil did the same for Savannah.
Same for San Francisco and the Dirty Harry movies...SF was also a star in Vertigo.
Turn of the century life in St Louis was romanticized in Meet Me in St Louis.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:09 AM

196 posts, read 914,193 times
Coincidentally; I watched ‘The Boston Strangler’ last night. I love this movie…has a great cast and has some amazing footage of 1960’s Boston…especially Beacon Hill.

My favorite Boston movies would be:

1. The Departed
2. Good Will Hunting
3. Blown Away
4. The Boston Strangler
5. The Thomas Crown Affair

Over the last 10 years there have been too many South Boston movies…including the first two listed above. Most of them were great movies but I am now tired of this motif….the neighborhood is like 8% of the city.

Oddly enough Nic Cage is currently filming a movie that takes place in Boston but is being filmed in Melbourne Australia, one of our Sister Cities….

Old 12-24-2008, 08:14 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,359,501 times
Smart People really captured the East End of Pittsburgh. It was filmed in a neighborhood not far from me, and looks like your East End residential areas of Pittsburgh.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:16 AM

196 posts, read 914,193 times
was The Deer Hunter filmed in Pitt at all?

Old 12-24-2008, 10:59 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,649,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBu View Post
Coincidentally; I watched ‘The Boston Strangler’ last night. I love this movie…has a great cast and has some amazing footage of 1960’s Boston…especially Beacon Hill.

My favorite Boston movies would be:

1. The Departed
2. Good Will Hunting
3. Blown Away
4. The Boston Strangler
5. The Thomas Crown Affair

Over the last 10 years there have been too many South Boston movies…including the first two listed above. Most of them were great movies but I am now tired of this motif….the neighborhood is like 8% of the city.

Oddly enough Nic Cage is currently filming a movie that takes place in Boston but is being filmed in Melbourne Australia, one of our Sister Cities….
I would also add Mystic River as a good Boston-based movie.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:23 AM

8,031 posts, read 7,631,645 times
Office Space: Austin, TX. Makes fun of techie office culture such as 'Dell drones', lame restaurant scene (full of chain places), apartment culture with weird neighbors, young people trying to make it...

Old 12-24-2008, 11:39 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,450,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Office Space: Austin, TX. Makes fun of techie office culture such as 'Dell drones', lame restaurant scene (full of chain places), apartment culture with weird neighbors, young people trying to make it...
Hmm, I think that movie is very familiar to a certain demographic in Dallas, Austin, or Houston in Texas. It was filmed in the former two, but it takes place in Houston. Same with Slacker, but I would concede it to be more of an "Austin" movie than anything. Speaking of that, I thought Dazed and Confused depicted life among bored high school students in a small Texas town really well. Captured it perfectly, in fact. I know something about that.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:45 AM

351 posts, read 541,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Smart People really captured the East End of Pittsburgh. It was filmed in a neighborhood not far from me, and looks like your East End residential areas of Pittsburgh.
And one of my favorite movies, too. It made me feel a little warmer to Pittsburgh.

The two movies--and this is surely a reflection of my sheltered upbringing--that came to mind:

Sleepless in Seattle
Home Alone II (New York)

Don't ask me why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or