U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:08 PM

180 posts, read 325,428 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Milwaukee, easily one of the most German of all US Cities if not "an der Spitze". It's been said that more ppl claim German heritage in Milw. than anywhere else. I heard St Louis was second.

there were schools that taught in german and newpapers printed in german around the turn of the century in Wisc. Alot of this changed "wegen den 2 Weltkriegen" when it become un-cool to be german american.

the area b/t San Antonio and Austin is also a well known german hotspot like others have mentioned. Check out the university of texas website, they have audio examples of "texas german" that is/was spoken around there. Very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 01:14 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,903,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamucil View Post
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Milwaukee, easily one of the most German of all US Cities if not "an der Spitze". It's been said that more ppl claim German heritage in Milw. than anywhere else. I heard St Louis was second.

there were schools that taught in german and newpapers printed in german around the turn of the century in Wisc. Alot of this changed "wegen den 2 Weltkriegen" when it become un-cool to be german american.

the area b/t San Antonio and Austin is also a well known german hotspot like others have mentioned. Check out the university of texas website, they have audio examples of "texas german" that is/was spoken around there. Very interesting.
Not too surprising to me. After all, Milwaukee and St. Louis are both loaded up with breweries and have been known for their beer for a long time. In particular, the Midwest I think has been really popular for Germans also as evidenced by how popular beef franks and bratwursts are at ballpark games along with beer in places like Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit, and St. Louis...these are incredibly popular and promoted beverages in the Midwestern cities.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:49 PM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
St. Louis has a very heavy German influence, I think heavier than Cincinnati. Anheuser Busch I think sums that up pretty well. Cleveland, Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Detroit, and St. Louis all have very heavy German influence, and in every Midwestern state the most common ancestry is German.
Add cities like Pittsburgh, Buffalo. Baltimore and even Louisville to that list. Many Ohio Valley cities have a very strong German influence too. Also, there are many NY State cities with a relatively Strong German influence, including the one I live in.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:12 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,589,018 times
Helen is a cool little German Alpine inspired village in the North Georgia Mountains.

Alpine Helen Georgia Convention and Visitors Bureau - Cabins, shopping, camping, conventions, lodging, things to do

Last edited by JMT; 10-28-2012 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: removed broken link

Old 12-24-2008, 05:37 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,654,698 times
St. Louis from my understanding has a pretty strong German influence, with some Italian, French, Irish, and African American/Southern (Blues for example).

Old 12-25-2008, 07:29 AM

3,219 posts, read 8,005,100 times
Milwaukee, St Lous,Cincy, Penn, and the San Antonio/Austin area

Old 12-25-2008, 07:58 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,270,232 times
Winston-Salem N.C. was founded by German immigrants in the mid-1700s and there is cultural evidence of this throughout the city, especially around Old Salem and the traditions and symbols of the Moravian church.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:47 AM

3,323 posts, read 9,569,943 times
There are some Amish areas of Ohio that are very German as well. Like some others said, most residents of the midwest have some German ancestry unless their families immigrated sometime w/in the last two generations.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:05 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,933,464 times
Anaheim, California....

Old 12-25-2008, 04:05 PM

86 posts, read 308,700 times
leavenworth, washington:

German inspired cities or towns-leavenworth.jpg

German inspired cities or towns-leavenworth2.jpg

German inspired cities or towns-leavenworth3.jpg

German inspired cities or towns-leavenworth5.jpg

German inspired cities or towns-leavenworth6.jpg

German inspired cities or towns-leavenworth7.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.