U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:04 AM

44,788 posts, read 36,172,094 times

Advertisements

Here's a cool map of German settlements in Texas:

Frederick R. Andresen German Texas

Here is an interesting site about the Germanic influence in Central Texas:
Germany in Texas

Here's another good article:
Texas Cultural Diversity - German Immigrants and The Texas Hill Country.

Last edited by JMT; 10-30-2012 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 12:22 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,926,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trafford View Post
There are still pockets of German culture quite alive, but being ethnic German in the US has not been popular since 1916.

I am the first generation in my family not to be fluent in "die spreche", though I do know enough to get around, thats pretty good since my ancestors were 48'ers.

There still exists some German culture here in STL. There are several Stammtisch societies and the German cultural society is still pretty active, though there numbers are getting older every year. i am sure the same exists for Cinci and Milwaukee.

Hermann Mo is where my family is from has made a pretty good effort at staying German, amazing when you considor that small towns are one of the places where pressure to "Americanize" is the strongest.

Where? I was born in Germany and have lived in Milwaukee for quite a while. I've also been to Cincy and STL several times. There is nothing "quite alive" about German culture in the States. Not to the extent it used to be 50+ years ago. Most so-called Germans are just Americans with German last names.
Obviously there are a few Stammtisch get-togethers and there are still some first and second generation immigrants who are familiar with their roots, plus the occasional expat, but that doesn't mean German culture is alive and kicking. It is almost negligible nowadays.
Conversely, there are lots of American societies in Germany - that doesn't Germany is "American".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
It seems like the German influence is pretty diluted/assimilated at this point. There are lots of areas with German heritage, but the people are just Americans with funny last names like Stoltzfus and Hochenderfer at this point.
This.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:36 PM

352 posts, read 500,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Where? I was born in Germany and have lived in Milwaukee for quite a while. I've also been to Cincy and STL several times. There is nothing "quite alive" about German culture in the States. Not to the extent it used to be 50+ years ago. Most so-called Germans are just Americans with German last names.
Obviously there are a few Stammtisch get-togethers and there are still some first and second generation immigrants who are familiar with their roots, plus the occasional expat, but that doesn't mean German culture is alive and kicking. It is almost negligible nowadays.
Conversely, there are lots of American societies in Germany - that doesn't Germany is "American".

I should have clairified myself, as alive as any other Eurpean culture in the US. The Irish do not really live much in the way here as they do in Ireland, St. Patty's is a beer bust here no different from Mardi Gras. My Italian friends from the Hill no longer speak the lanuage outside of a few phrases (same as me) the cooking is Italian, but put through an American filter. If you want to get right down to it the only ethnic group who maintains there culture are Latinos, specifically Mexicans, but if you watch the news they are under considorable pressure to assimilate or be deported. Some Asian communities have remained relatively intact, but over the last 60 years being ethnic anything was not cool from both a cutlural and economic stance.

Maybe I am just a little closer to it and I don't realize how far away we are from just the 70's when my Grand Parents spoke German at home defacto, had a large meal at noon, salad meant a pickle tray, wine was served every evening with hard suasage and cheese, my Grandfather played Bhrams and Schubert on the button box (along with beer hall drinking songs) Christmas was celebrated Christmas eve with candles on the tree, the first of november was Totenfest, we ate fat doughy noodles with souerkraut, and Kringles for breakfest, pickled herring was consumed every new years eve on crusty bread with lager beer and schmeirkase on toast. Hunting societies that were about getting together to eat and drink more than hunt.

You can still find those things in Hermann mo and parts of St. Louis, not as much now, but as much as any other European ethnic group, like I said, there is considerable pressure in the US not to be different.

My mom still makes the Springele and Lebkuchen you will ever taste.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:40 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,985,620 times
Quote:
I'm looking for a place like a Chinatown, but German, where I could get German food, hear people speak German, shop, maybe some architecture, etc.

There must be somewhere in the US
Unfortunatly you are too late.

I remember Lincoln Avenue in Chicago (the part of Lincoln just north of Wells Park) was like this in the early to mid 1960s...probably even more so in the 1950s. Except for the German-inspired architecture.

There was a huge immigration from Germany proper and German displaced perrsons (DPs) from "the east" to Chicagoland after WWII, and they formed the kind of scene you are looking for, to the point of the local movie theatre, The Davis, showing German B movies without subtitles, since there was enough of a market for that.

The neighborhood record store/stereo shop had all the German pop songs ("schlager") and they would play them out on the sidewalk via their PA system.

Plus, of course, restaurants, clothing stores with German brands (like "Salamander" shoes), furniture stores where you could get that "danish modern" furinture popular in Germany, German appliances like Grundig stereos, a bookstore/news stand where you could get all the German newspapers and magazines, etc.

There was also German language programming on FM radio back then, too.

And of course, you could hear German spoken on the street, or in the cafes, bars, and restaurants.

This has nearly all went away, due to assimilation, as this postwar immigrant community became part of American life and moved out to the suburbs.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:43 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,985,620 times
Quote:
My mom still makes the Springele and Lebkuchen you will ever taste.
Believe it or not there is a bakery (Nord Bakery) in Louisville, KY (which had a large German community from way back) makes authentic springerle for Christmas, using an old recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.