U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:22 PM

15,006 posts, read 31,383,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Particularly in Illinois - it was like the South!!! I went into a wal-mart in the town I was staying in and people spoke with really poor grammar, we even saw some confederate flags
Is Chicago filled with these sorts of ignorant racists, or is it some sort of cultural oasis?

Indiana was simply appalling. No culture whatsoever, very bland.
I get the feeling you will find something to complain about no matter where you go.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:40 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,904,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
No, we weren't far from Chicago at the time. I've heard a lot of boosterism of chicago so I was kind of shocked I mean I know nothing matches image (it is murder capital of America after all) but still I would think with 2 decent universities it would be less ignorant in the area.

We saw way more confederate flags through Michigan/Illinois/Indiana than we did in all of TX!!!!! We only saw one there!!
Confederate flags in Michigan? The Upper Midwest? Now that is shocking! I could understand Confederate flags in Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio since they are all Midwestern states that border upon Southern states and also had Confederate sympathizers, but among the last places I would expect to see Confederate flags would be in the Upper Midwestern states of Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan as well as in any state north of Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:43 PM

351 posts, read 541,286 times
Yes. We're all just a bunch of mouth-breathing bigots. Just look at all the rebel flag-waiving whities....

Chicago

Short North, Columbus

http://www.indyindiana.com/images/indianapolis.jpg (broken link)

Indianapolis skyline

Chicago's Latin Festival

Cleveland's changing face

Mardi Gras in Soulard, St. Louis

....wait. Tanto and the Lone Ranger are nowhere to be found!

Oh that's right, the midwest isn't the uneducated badlands you think it is. In fact, some of the most interesting and dynamic urban planning and development is going on here. And the midwest is home to some of the most vibrant cities in the country. If you've spent any time in a place like Chicago or Cleveland or newer cities like Columbus, there's no doubt that not only is this place quite the opposite of your faux redneck paradise, but it's also a wonderful place to grow up, live, and raise a family.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:46 PM

334 posts, read 1,179,863 times
Ohio Obama
Indiana Obama
Illinois Obama
Iowa Obama
Michigan Obama
Wisconsin Obama
Minnesota Obama

Yes. The Midwest is a haven of backwards racist ultra right wing morons. Thank you friend from Texas, the shining beacon of ultra liberal progressiveness, for sharing this wonderful information with us.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:48 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,904,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I get the feeling you will find something to complain about no matter where you go.
Dude, Wal Mart is full of employees that generally grew up on the bottom of society. The Wal Mart near my house actually has the same type of people you are describing.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,216,324 times
With its insulting premise, I don't see this thread headed anywhere that's useful. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or