U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:45 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
OP: get a life.

Oh, and LA IS diverse. Why? Because it has large populations of :

Africans
Afro-Caribbeans
African Americans
Armenians
Belizeans
Brazilians
Cambodians
Central Americans (Salvadorans, Hondurans, Guatemalans and Nicaraguans)
Chinese
Eastern Europeans
Ethiopians
Western European expats
Filipinos
Indians
Japanese
Jews
Persian Jews
Koreans
Mexicans
Russians/Ukrainians
Samoans/Polynesians
Thai
Vietnamese
Kind of hypocritical wouldn't you say? Telling the OP to get a life whan he is agreeing with what you say about LA diversity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 01:32 PM

938 posts, read 3,666,065 times
The diversity comment wasn't aimed it him, instead it was directed at the naysayers in here.

And the OP comment, well....all I've got to say is look at his (threads) track record -- definitely leaves a lot to be desired. Hell, look at the amount of thought he/she put into this thread..

Old 01-02-2009, 01:52 PM

256 posts, read 660,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If you wanted real information, Wikipedia is the last place on earth you'd go to. Anyone can post anything there. It doesn't have to be verified or, for that matter, it doesn't even have to be true. Being at the top of a category on Wikipedia only proves that someone who loves their city put that stuff there. And, as you yourself said, that's the end of it!
Wrong. It does have to be verified. That's the first rule of the whole site! If you've ever actually been to Wikipedia, you'll see that articles on major topics (cities, politicians, blockbuster movies) have a footnote after every other sentence to back up the information. The Wikipedia elites constantly take down information that is not backed up by a source.

Go to the site and actually look up Houston, New York City, Chicago, etc. They are all very good articles with accurate information.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:20 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,450,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
Wrong. It does have to be verified. That's the first rule of the whole site! If you've ever actually been to Wikipedia, you'll see that articles on major topics (cities, politicians, blockbuster movies) have a footnote after every other sentence to back up the information. The Wikipedia elites constantly take down information that is not backed up by a source.

Go to the site and actually look up Houston, New York City, Chicago, etc. They are all very good articles with accurate information.
Yes, Wikipedia isn't as inaccurate as people think it is. Even reference librarians use it as a jumping-off point when researching questions. There are usually reputable sources listed in the footnotes, and if there aren't, you will see "citation needed" or some other message warning you the information hasn't been verified or doesn't meet Wiki's quality standards. A very useful site, overall.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:38 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,830,394 times
I think hating on Wikipedia is just something popular to do on the interwebz.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:42 PM

15,453 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Wikipedia is a decent source to get some general information and is a good starting point to do some REAL research but should not be treated as an accurate encyclopedia at all. I don't like the site overall that much b/c I've come across flat out wrong information. And many times when I've clicked on a citation, the citation is completely wrong and has nothing to do with what they are citing or doesn't cite it correctly. Just b/c people put sources for their information or for what they claim doesn't mean the source is correct or the information is properly cited. Too many people treat the crap they read on Wikipedia as "fact" when it is anything but that. I can't stand people citing Wikipedia, use a REAL source for crying out loud. Sorry for the mini-rant, I just cant stand how many people get their "information" from that POS site.

Quote:
Wrong. It does have to be verified. That's the first rule of the whole site! If you've ever actually been to Wikipedia, you'll see that articles on major topics (cities, politicians, blockbuster movies) have a footnote after every other sentence to back up the information
If you actually follow some of those footnotes you'd see how WRONG many of them are and how they have NOTHING to do with the information stated.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:10 AM

256 posts, read 660,708 times
No. Nope. Not at all. Everything you said was completely wrong. You clearly don't go to the site enough. If you did, you'd realize that 2 millions articles all have vastly different stages of development and only the ones with big fat disclaimers at the top ever have those problems or any "flat out wrong information".

And if you've seen citations that have NOTHING with the information stated you must have been high because I've seen anything like that stay up for more than 30 minutes.

Any article on anything even remotely important as important as a city with millions of people is 100% correct and does not have random citations about Mickey Mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I think hating on Wikipedia is just something popular to do on the interwebz.
Ha, I'd say it's much worse in real life.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:42 AM

263 posts, read 732,739 times
This thread was started by someone 'testing' the waters. These cities haven't become the most diversified and cosmopolitan cites although I will state that Los Angeles is the most ethnically diversified city in the world. Not in the most balanced diversification, but according to the most different ethnicities, nationalities and cultures represented in the world. It's science...

Old 01-05-2009, 12:51 PM

15,453 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Quote:
No. Nope. Not at all. Everything you said was completely wrong. You clearly don't go to the site enough. If you did, you'd realize that 2 millions articles all have vastly different stages of development and only the ones with big fat disclaimers at the top ever have those problems or any "flat out wrong information".

And if you've seen citations that have NOTHING with the information stated you must have been high because I've seen anything like that stay up for more than 30 minutes.

Ha, I'd say it's much worse in real life.
No not everything I said was wrong at all. I've spent enough time on that site to realize how much wrong information and wrong citations are on there. If I'm going to argue something I would not use Wikipedia as a source b/c many times its not legitimate information, there is good reason why you can't use that site when writing college or research papers. And I've found mistakes and wrong citations on articles that don't have big disclaimers. Even for something as simple as Census numbers I've seen wrong information posted. I've personally gone and erased a statement b/c the source it was citing had absolutely nothing to do with the statement and that was on an article w/o a large disclaimer. And the sad thing is all the articles that do have those disclaimers, so much of the "information" on Wikipedia is just opinion or just wrong statements.

Quote:
Any article on anything even remotely important as important as a city with millions of people is 100% correct and does not have random citations about Mickey Mouse.
That is just not simply true at all and I don't know where you come up with this "100% correct" assumption b/c most of the mistakes and wrong citations I've seen have been on articles about cities, states, metro areas, etc... So you are wrong on that.

I think its sad how many people use Wikipedia as a source of information and believe its correct, talk about the dumbing down of America. Scholars and professional do not use Wikipedia or take it seriously for good reason.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:42 PM

514 posts, read 667,077 times
Question you're #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Can we just give coldwine back to wherever she came from so we will no longer have to listen to the incessant whining & b*tching about the nation's second most populous state?

Maybe she should change her name to OldWhine... would be so much more appropriate!

Have you ever wondered why, even with its huge land area, Texas is the 2nd most populous state and that by about 14 million?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.