U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:46 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,169,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I exaggerate because I speak truth??? Sorry that me and you don't share the same opinions or thoughs but I have no need to exaggerate anything about Houston. It's Houstonians like you who keep Houston from reaching its full attention, always doubting it and dumbing the city down.
It's called living in reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 01:47 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,721,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
It's called living in reality.
Last time I checked I was living there.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:59 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,304,194 times
Quote:
Why don't you look it up since you want to debate the issue?
That's not how it works. If you make an arguable statement you can't expect people to just accept it at face value. Of course your logic will be questioned. No one is sayin you're wrong necessarily, but we would like to see where you get your facts. If you can't or are unwilling to prove your point it only makes you appear disigenuous and lacking in your point. Some people on this forum could benefit from Mark Twain's words, "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Last edited by portyhead24; 12-24-2008 at 02:44 PM..

Old 12-24-2008, 01:59 PM

14 posts, read 22,518 times
Quote:
Last time I checked I was living there.
Living where? That UNcosmopolitan city with an inferiority complex that consists of a suburban wasteland riddled with chains?

hahahah, the ignorance.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:01 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,857,906 times
Houston???

Old 12-24-2008, 02:59 PM

18,659 posts, read 27,113,557 times
Quote:
Ever heard of Rice or UT or Baylor or Texas Tech. Just because you happened to grew up in some small backwards town in Texas, don't sit here and judge all of us and Houston at that.
Only Rice and Texas are in the top 50 according to USnews when it comes to universities. Both are very well known academic schools. Texas A&M is also known and a great teir 1 school.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:02 PM

18,659 posts, read 27,113,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
NO, SF def. isn't one.

It's NYC, LA, and Houston.

Houston has hispanics, blacks, jewish immigrants from early 20th century, biggest Nigerian population in america, huge paki/indian population, 3rd largest Vietnamese population, large chinese population as well, several middle eastern countries are well-represented, lots of japanese from business.

SF is mostly asians that's the only major diversity
And this post here is a prime example of why people on this forum become annoyed at some of the Houston residents essentially turning many off to your city. If you're going to start talking about other aspects of cities, please do so correctly and not bring down the other city to only boosts yours up.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:38 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,080,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
NO, SF def. isn't one.

It's NYC, LA, and Houston.

Houston has hispanics, blacks, jewish immigrants from early 20th century, biggest Nigerian population in america, huge paki/indian population, 3rd largest Vietnamese population, large chinese population as well, several middle eastern countries are well-represented, lots of japanese from business.

SF is mostly asians that's the only major diversity
New York, LA, San Francisco, Chicago and Houston are all diverse. For that matter, all major cities are diverse. Each of these cities just has a different percentage of pretty much the same ethnic groups. For example - Black - San Francisco 7.8%, Los Angeles, 11%, New York 26%, Chicago 36%, Houston 25%; White - San Francisco 43%, LA, 30%, NY 35%, Chicago 31%, Houston 31%; Hispanic - SF 14%, LA 46%, NY, 27%, Chicago, 26%, Houston 37%; Chinese - SF 20%, LA 2%, NY 4.5%, Chicago 1% and Houston 1%. This is according to City Data. This can be broken down more, but there's really no point to that. Houston is no more diverse than any of these cities. I know you weren't including Chicago or New York in this, but they are both bigger than Houston, and are probably considered by most people, to be more cosmopolitan. No one can definitely say, and that's the beauty of it. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:54 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,462,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And this post here is a prime example of why people on this forum become annoyed at some of the Houston residents essentially turning many off to your city. If you're going to start talking about other aspects of cities, please do so correctly and not bring down the other city to only boosts yours up.
Not only that, they're turning me off to my own city with their ridiculous, exaggerated claims! It's quite embarrassing to be associated with such ********, to be honest.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:54 PM

2,226 posts, read 4,141,320 times
Quote:
I exaggerate because I speak truth??? Sorry that me and you don't share the same opinions or thoughs but I have no need to exaggerate anything about Houston. It's Houstonians like you who keep Houston from reaching its full attention, always doubting it and dumbing the city down.
You know, I'm sure Houston is a great city and all. I've never been there but want to visit it. I know many Texans who make Houston sound like a really cool place, and I'm sure it is.

But lets not get carried away in our generalizations here. I mean, come on, some of the things said about Houston on this board are so over the top. It makes it seem like some mecca of world class arts and culture, which I'm sure Houston has plenty of, but not to degree that the Big 3 have.

The most ridiculous thing I read about Houston was when one poster said the only other city that doesn't sleep other than NYC is Houston due to 24/7 energy in the city Dude, LA, SF, and Chicago aren't even 24 hour cities (more like 22 hour cities), so how the *bleep* can Houston be?

I think some members on this board either need a reality check or need to get their heads examined.

Yes, I've heard it's fun. Yes, I've heard it's a neat and diverse place. But putting it on the same level as SF, LA, Chi, and NYC? No. The only people I hear saying those things are trolls on these boards from Houston looking to cause fights. Is that really what you want? Despite the growing population, the city has decades of work to do before it gets ahead of those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.