U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 04:08 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,071,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Not only that, they're turning me off to my own city with their ridiculous, exaggerated claims! It's quite embarrassing to be associated with such ********, to be honest.
We don't hold it against you - it is just a certain few who are obviously very proud of their city, and too blinded by their civic pride to understand that not everyone sees it the way they do. Happy Holidays!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 04:08 PM

3,113 posts, read 6,495,871 times
txguy2009, you need to stop this. You are giving Texans a horrible name. It's ridiculous that you start these threads and look for fights. To all of you out there, this is not how real Texans are.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:15 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,134,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
We don't hold it against you - it is just a certain few who are obviously very proud of their city, and too blinded by their civic pride to understand that not everyone sees it the way they do. Happy Holidays!!
Well put!

Having civic pride in your city does not mean you have to exaggerate about and constantly put other cities down.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:38 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Not only that, they're turning me off to my own city with their ridiculous, exaggerated claims! It's quite embarrassing to be associated with such ********, to be honest.
Dude it's Christimas Eve, you really need to leave city-data if you get this worked up over things.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:40 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
You know, I'm sure Houston is a great city and all. I've never been there but want to visit it. I know many Texans who make Houston sound like a really cool place, and I'm sure it is.

But lets not get carried away in our generalizations here. I mean, come on, some of the things said about Houston on this board are so over the top. It makes it seem like some mecca of world class arts and culture, which I'm sure Houston has plenty of, but not to degree that the Big 3 have.

The most ridiculous thing I read about Houston was when one poster said the only other city that doesn't sleep other than NYC is Houston due to 24/7 energy in the city Dude, LA, SF, and Chicago aren't even 24 hour cities (more like 22 hour cities), so how the *bleep* can Houston be?

I think some members on this board either need a reality check or need to get their heads examined.

Yes, I've heard it's fun. Yes, I've heard it's a neat and diverse place. But putting it on the same level as SF, LA, Chi, and NYC? No. The only people I hear saying those things are trolls on these boards from Houston looking to cause fights. Is that really what you want? Despite the growing population, the city has decades of work to do before it gets ahead of those cities.
I'm still trying to find how the hell have I exaggrated about Houston. Is it so damn hard to believe Houston is about as important as CHicago or that Houston is one of the top 10 important cities in this country?? I've never put Houston the level of those cities, but you people act like we ain't ****. Were unimportant, souless, undiverse, stupid, and backwards. I mean god damn, is it really that hard to believe that a city in Texas is actually doing well for itself and is competition with some of those cities???

Sorry I'm not one of those Houstonians who bow downs to such cities as New York and belittle my own just because were not as cool as them. I love Houston and I'm not here because I have to be, it is because I want to be. You guys tell us we need a reality check, well maybe you guys do because this isn't the 80s or the 90s anymore. Those cities aren't that far ahead as they once were.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:18 PM

85 posts, read 237,897 times
Houston is very diverse and seems to have an almost even mix of racial and ethnic groups. Los Angeles does have a lot of diversity as well but it is very Hispanic (mostly Mexican). I can see how Houston and L.A are diverse but I wouldn't call either the most cosmopolitan. They are to a certian degree but calling Houston and L.A more cosmopolitan over New York, Chicago, SF, and D.C seems like a big strech.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:58 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,569,873 times
"Cosmopolitan" is now officially more vague and over-used than "diversity."

Old 12-24-2008, 09:31 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,877,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfxfrontier View Post
You just proved yourself wrong. TX has some good universities, but none are that high ranking. You need to go to the NE or CA for that, mostly.

And again ppl are equating cosmopolitan to things that do not accurately describe a cosmopolitan area. Some people......lmfao
Dude, I think you need to revisit a dictionary to know what cosmopolitan means

Rice is an extremely high ranking university right here in Houston. Also, UT Austin and A&M (where I graduated from) are 2 of the best public universities in America so I think you need to know what you are talking about before you try to speak on it.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:33 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,724,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Of course L.A. is more diverse and cosmo than Atlanta. The only place in the country that can compare to L.A. is the NYC metro.

As far as Houston goes, that's debatable.

This forum has nothing to do with atlanta so leave atlanta out

Old 12-24-2008, 09:37 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,877,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
You know, I'm sure Houston is a great city and all. I've never been there but want to visit it. I know many Texans who make Houston sound like a really cool place, and I'm sure it is.

But lets not get carried away in our generalizations here. I mean, come on, some of the things said about Houston on this board are so over the top. It makes it seem like some mecca of world class arts and culture, which I'm sure Houston has plenty of, but not to degree that the Big 3 have.

The most ridiculous thing I read about Houston was when one poster said the only other city that doesn't sleep other than NYC is Houston due to 24/7 energy in the city Dude, LA, SF, and Chicago aren't even 24 hour cities (more like 22 hour cities), so how the *bleep* can Houston be?

I think some members on this board either need a reality check or need to get their heads examined.

Yes, I've heard it's fun. Yes, I've heard it's a neat and diverse place. But putting it on the same level as SF, LA, Chi, and NYC? No. The only people I hear saying those things are trolls on these boards from Houston looking to cause fights. Is that really what you want? Despite the growing population, the city has decades of work to do before it gets ahead of those cities.
What really starts the problems is when uninformed posters tear down cities from the South making ignorant claims about them . The cities of Atlanta, Dallas and Houston are all ripped by these idiots who have never even been to them.

And we are at the same level as SF and not far from Chicago. Anyone who says otherwise is just being ignorant and has never been here.

I do agree that the OP is a little over the top though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.