U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:38 AM

345 posts, read 383,875 times

Advertisements

Men:

greasy ball caps with motor-something logo on crest, butt-kicking boots, average 30 pounds extra blubber, one or more creepy tattoos peeking out from somewhere, dental work/dentures needing update/cleaning, biker wallet with chain clip, and cellphone pressed to ear

Women:

sweat pants/top, or tights and t-shirt with sweater (in conflicting colors), average extra 30 pounds of blubber, one or more creepy tattoos peeking out from somewhere, dental work/dentures needing update/cleaning, pseudo designer Wal Mart handbag, and cellphone pressed to ear

Kids:

whatever they inherited from older brother and sisters, sneakers with skate wheels, and/or red blinking lights in the soles, earbuds in ears, and runny noses

Recent arrivals from northeast, south, and west:

extra blubber, creepy tattoos peeking out from somewhere, cellphone pressed to ear, and garments of black, black, black - its "slimming" and shows less dirt, and cellphone pressed to ear

Last edited by Ria Rhodes; 12-25-2008 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 10:59 AM

86,995 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
In Connecticut, people wear brands like Gap, Eddie Bauer, LLBean, EVERYONE (almost literally, everyone) has North Face in the winter...basically people here dress pretty conservatively.

A sweater on top of a button down Oxford is very popular here. Is that common anywhere else?
Not here in CO; sweaters w/o shirts are popular here b/c it isn't that cold in metro Denver. In the mtns, anything to keep warm.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:21 AM

351 posts, read 541,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In Denver, very casual. Jeans are appropriate everywhere and anywhere. We just got back from Christmas Eve services, people had on jeans, tennis shoes, and some were very dressy.
I know, right? Dress-down Denver! haha. I must say, however, that last night I was at midnight mass and I saw a lot of suits and ties.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:22 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,452,005 times
Arizona is casual. Coming from NY, sometimes I do miss seeing a man in an overcoat.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:24 AM

351 posts, read 541,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
I think you nailed it. A good friend of mine moved to Columbus from New Hampshire and his style just had this post blue collar "urban" look to it. He wore the caps, darker colors, and when he went out usually did not have a collar shirt.

Here in Columbus, where Abercrombie and Fitch is based, function is not usually the name of the game. We do not have a beach yet flip flops are more than common in the suburban centers. Flashy dress shirts are the norm for guys when going out to a club in the winter. Also, church goers tend to dress up and would not wear jeans.

However, Columbus is more casual on a day to day basis or at a theater event than other places I have been to but the look is very different in function and style from New England. I think it is interesting.
Columbus has always struck me as one of the most fashionable places in the midwest. It's an unusually dressy place.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:27 AM

2,980 posts, read 7,289,213 times
I guess in the Highlands people are a bit more old fashioned than us. Where I live people dress with style, especially with Glasgow's fashion industry i'd say we do pretty well. I do like my Gucci and Prada.

Only people here i've ever seen badly dressed are farmers.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:35 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,236,781 times
here in the NYC area people dress in pretty expensive clothes, whether it's casual or dressy. Not all of us though. I'm told i'm a typical yuppie, but I don't dress in really expensive clothes.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:40 AM

16,736 posts, read 23,159,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
here in the NYC area people dress in pretty expensive clothes, whether it's casual or dressy. Not all of us though. I'm told i'm a typical yuppie, but I don't dress in really expensive clothes.
It's funny - it's completely different within the metro area. In Connecticut, people dress more preppy (see my post above). In NJ, it's more D&G...kinda flashy, and in Westchester, Gucci and Burberry are common. I can't pin Long Island though.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:48 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,236,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's funny - it's completely different within the metro area. In Connecticut, people dress more preppy (see my post above). In NJ, it's more D&G...kinda flashy, and in Westchester, Gucci and Burberry are common. I can't pin Long Island though.

You're right. Even from the Bronx to Brooklyn it's a bit different, but that's as far as teenagers and kids. With adults, it's not that much different. You're right about CT though. I went every weekend to play Ice hockey growing up. I'm originally from Long Island, and even to me it's hard to point out. I think it's most similar to how people dress in Westchester. Lots of people wear some of the more expensive flashy types of clothes.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:53 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Here in Texas we wear boots, cowboy hats, tight jeans with collar shirts and nice fancy belts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or