Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 11:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
I know, right? Dress-down Denver! haha. I must say, however, that last night I was at midnight mass and I saw a lot of suits and ties.
The visitors at our church were more likely to be in sport coats, suits and ties than the regulars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Arizona is casual. Coming from NY, sometimes I do miss seeing a man in an overcoat.
I agree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 12:28 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You're right. Even from the Bronx to Brooklyn it's a bit different, but that's as far as teenagers and kids. With adults, it's not that much different. You're right about CT though. I went every weekend to play Ice hockey growing up. I'm originally from Long Island, and even to me it's hard to point out. I think it's most similar to how people dress in Westchester. Lots of people wear some of the more expensive flashy types of clothes.
That's what I was thinking too. Maybe a mixture between NJ and Westchester.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:31 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Around here we go shoeless and wear overalls made from feed sacks

Seriously, here is what Kentuckans dress like this

Old 12-25-2008, 12:36 PM

155 posts, read 733,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria Rhodes View Post
Men:

greasy ball caps with motor-something logo on crest, butt-kicking boots, average 30 pounds extra blubber, one or more creepy tattoos peeking out from somewhere, dental work/dentures needing update/cleaning, biker wallet with chain clip, and cellphone pressed to ear

Women:

sweat pants/top, or tights and t-shirt with sweater (in conflicting colors), average extra 30 pounds of blubber, one or more creepy tattoos peeking out from somewhere, dental work/dentures needing update/cleaning, pseudo designer Wal Mart handbag, and cellphone pressed to ear

Kids:

whatever they inherited from older brother and sisters, sneakers with skate wheels, and/or red blinking lights in the soles, earbuds in ears, and runny noses

Recent arrivals from northeast, south, and west:

extra blubber, creepy tattoos peeking out from somewhere, cellphone pressed to ear, and garments of black, black, black - its "slimming" and shows less dirt, and cellphone pressed to ear
Where is this? (so I can be sure never to go there).

Old 12-26-2008, 07:48 AM

345 posts, read 466,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Here in Texas we wear boots, cowboy hats, tight jeans with collar shirts and nice fancy belts.
A Texas road trip memory that never fades away: Tony Lama billboards/signs.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:17 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times
men: rap or sport inspired clothes, baggy baggy clothes, ugly white shirts, and anything a pimp would wear

women: super tight shirts that show their muffin tops or big cleavage, tight jeans, tramp stamps, sandals, ugly furry boots, anything sparkly , or anything that makes you look like a *****.

children: little pimps and prostitutes

Old 12-26-2008, 09:27 AM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That's what I was thinking too. Maybe a mixture between NJ and Westchester.
From a teen's persepctive growing up on Long Island it's like this.

White Females: Uggs, Tights, Leggings, Mini Skirts, Sweatsuits from Victoria Secret, big poketbooks, abercrombie and fitch, flip flops everyday in summer then uggs in winter. Black women tend to have more of a urban atire, but you can catch some of them wearing this stuff also with a little twist.

Males: Preppy, with some having a little skater, surfer influence. Black males tend to have more of a urban fashion.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:36 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
From a teen's persepctive growing up on Long Island it's like this.

White Females: Uggs, Tights, Leggings, Mini Skirts, Sweatsuits from Victoria Secret, big poketbooks, abercrombie and fitch, flip flops everyday in summer then uggs in winter. Black women tend to have more of a urban atire, but you can catch some of them wearing this stuff also with a little twist.

Males: Preppy, with some having a little skater, surfer influence. Black males tend to have more of a urban fashion.

You described it pretty well. Except I think it's a little more preppy than you described.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:44 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
It's my observation that in matters of attire, Southerners hold on to tradition longer than other parts of the country. For instance, Atlanta and McLean, VA are the only places I have lived where invites for weddings after six will specify black tie. I rather like that about this part of the country.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:48 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
people here do not dress well. they dress like po folk. the good news is with the economy things will adjust soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.