U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:37 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolos View Post
Yes. That type of dress is very popular among New England/Mid Atlantic college students.

Most guys at my university (NJ) dress:

Shirts: Polos (primarily Burberry, Polo, Lacoste)
Sweaters: Lots of argyle, cable knit, v-necks, half-zips (John Varvatos, Canali, Polo, Lacoste, Theory, etc.)
Shoes: Loafers, boat shoes (Cole haan probably most popular)
Shorts: Khaki shorts, seersucker, madras, critter (Vineyard Vines, J. McLaughlin, Lacoste)
Jeans: just the general jean brands true religion, sevens, citizens, diesel.
Winter Coats: peacoats, trenches pretty much every guy has multiple ones (burberry, boss, theory are popular)
wayfarers and aviators are also very popular.

Girls are quite diverse in dress, burberry, diane von furstenburg, marc jacobs, anthropologie, t-bags, ella moss, nanette lepore, calypso, tahari are all really popular.
Students at my daughter's college (University of Colorado):

Guys:

Jeans, many brands
Tees, many with CU logos, other college logos, store logos (Hollister, Abercrombie, etc).
Shoes, tennis (known in the east as sneakers), many brands; flip-flops all winter, many brands
Coats: seldom, generally "North Face" fleece jackets, in very cold weather ski jackets

Girls:

Similar styles; pea coats; scarves; even indoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 10:18 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,498,481 times
Well I will put it this way. Here in Portland in many ways it is difficult to distinguish between who is homeless and who is not. Some people dress better than others, but it is very obivious many do not put much thought into their appearance or dress.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:52 AM

521 posts, read 1,492,105 times
Nightlifewise:
In Salt Lake City the women do not tend to wear dresses, in both summer and winter time. Somebody teach 'em how to dress like women. Its mostly jeans and boots everywhere which I attribute to the nightlife, or lack thereof, and conservative atmosphere whether you're LDS or not.

Whereas in Houston, Miami, San Diego and Los Angeles the women dress up to go out. The guys are more dressed up as well. Moreso in Miami, LA and SD where people try to be more into the current fashions. Please save yourselves from starting a battle about "my city is more fashionable than yours." Im also talking in the genal terms whereas there are beach areas in either of these three cities where people go out dressed as scrubs in jeans and flip flops.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 992 times
I've lived in North Dakota my whole life and currently live in Pierre, South Dakota. I was surprised to see how differently people dress in the two Dakotas...

North Dakota: It's always hard to give a "common dress" for a state, because obviously everyone dresses differently to an extent. What I noticed growing up in ND, however, was that people loved wearing rubber boots...even when it was warm outside during the summer. Rubber boots are just comfy to wear I guess. It's also common for people to wear clothing without labels, partly because ND is so vast and has a small population, so not many retailers set up shop here. Because of the state's strong Scandinavian and German heritage, people like to wear knit-clothing, lots of wool, and anything with a colorful design in them, kind of like those Icelandic wool sweaters. My grandmother actually made me several of my clothes when I was a kid. Oh, and we LOVE a nice pair of rugged blue jeans.

South Dakota: People dress a lot more "with the times" here. It's not as traditional and plain as North Dakota. Here, more adults wear business casual, and the teens wear everything from Urban Outfitters to Abercrombie & Fitch. But, like it's twin state, South Dakota gets harsh winters, so the casual dress doesn't last too long. During the winter, you see a lot of what you would see in ND...knit-sweaters, wool, heavy leather coats, and the tedious rubber boot.

Overall, the Dakotas are a very relaxed area when it comes to fashion trends. You won't see many people strutting around in sharp Ralph Lauren attire or fancy designer label shoes. The agricultural background and Northern European heritage dictates a lot of the clothing trends, with simplicity and necessity being key words in what you wear each day.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:15 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,634,731 times
In Rochester NY we have way too many people dressing like the Jersey shore misfits... Which makes sense due to the high Italian American population but I find it revolting.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:13 PM

1,819 posts, read 3,439,710 times
Default boredathome

DC area is known for the urban fashion especially the shoes. We all wear Nike Foamposites, New Balance, and Northface jackets. The rapper WALE represents urban DC fashion well..i guess

Old 10-03-2011, 10:37 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,156,857 times
Baltimore fashion is too uniformed..Everybody dresses like everybody else. Cant really claim to be "fresh" if you pass 1000 people on the street dressed just like you.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:26 AM

723 posts, read 1,399,291 times
Our area has a huge contrast depending on where you live. It is generally conservative for most (with downtown Charleston probably the most trendy), except for the college students, who bring their styles with them.

The high school students usually wear whatever is trendy, except for the country guys. On Fridays in the fall, you see lots of hunting clothes because many students go right from school to hunting. For many people, it's football or hunting.

Church dress is almost universally dress-up, unless you get closer to the coast.

Even there, it depends on the church and where you are. Most of the predominantly African-American churches require suits and dresses, even for the little kids. Protestant churches are a mix of styles, while the Catholic churches have gotten more casual over the last few years. Most of the people that go to the big churches in the downtown area dress up.

Otherwise, it is a casual style when not at work. You see Crocs and Docksiders even during the coldest winter days, with khaki shorts and a button down shirt almost a uniform in the summer.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:15 AM

1,819 posts, read 3,439,710 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore fashion is too uniformed..Everybody dresses like everybody else. Cant really claim to be "fresh" if you pass 1000 people on the street dressed just like you.
Baltimore has gotten better over the years..when I first came out there in 03 everybody was wearing supertall tees capris and either dark green or brown some type of jackets.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,429,763 times
Ohio, in the cities mostly shopping-mall fashions. Outside of the cities, very frumpy and plain...T-shirts and sweatshirts with no sense of style. And is it just here or is women wearing pajama pants out in public a style now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or