U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:18 PM

3,683 posts, read 8,851,103 times

Advertisements

What is the style of how the women and men dress where you live? I currently live in Japan so the women dress really nice, especially when going to work since the dress code is more strict out here. Some of the girls wear some crazy stuff when their off work though. In San Diego where I lived until the end of last year, is a much more casual style. A lot of the girls wore denim skirts and flip flops, and surfer brands like Roxy were popular. Another style I noticed is pink shorts and tube socks. For dressing up at a night out in Gaslamp (Downtown San Diego's nightlife district), they would wear a nice dress with sandals and bare-legged. In Atlanta, the women dress really nice and classy. I especially like the suburban church-going attire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 10:15 PM

87,017 posts, read 102,674,652 times
In Denver, very casual. Jeans are appropriate everywhere and anywhere. We just got back from Christmas Eve services, people had on jeans, tennis shoes, and some were very dressy.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:47 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,976,731 times
From what I've observed, people in New England generally dress more casually than a lot of people in the Midwest or South (fewer collared shirts, dress pants, etc.). Simplicity and functionality seem to define the style of dress in this region (as they always have). You don't see many wild designs or flamboyant colors.

I tend to think of the regional "look" as epitomized by brands like L.L. Bean, St. John's Bay, Lands' End, etc. Plaid is still common. Jeans, sweatshirts, and baseball caps are all very typical. You don't see many flip-flops off of the beach.

And of course, there's always a fair amount of Patriots- or Red Sox-related clothing.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:15 AM

1,277 posts, read 4,157,752 times
Quote:
From what I've observed, people in New England generally dress more casually than a lot of people in the Midwest or South (fewer collared shirts, dress pants, etc.). Simplicity and functionality seem to define the style of dress in this region (as they always have). You don't see many wild designs or flamboyant colors.

I tend to think of the regional "look" as epitomized by brands like L.L. Bean, St. John's Bay, Lands' End, etc. Plaid is still common. Jeans, sweatshirts, and baseball caps are all very typical. You don't see many flip-flops off of the beach.

And of course, there's always a fair amount of Patriots- or Red Sox-related clothing.
I think you nailed it. A good friend of mine moved to Columbus from New Hampshire and his style just had this post blue collar "urban" look to it. He wore the caps, darker colors, and when he went out usually did not have a collar shirt.

Here in Columbus, where Abercrombie and Fitch is based, function is not usually the name of the game. We do not have a beach yet flip flops are more than common in the suburban centers. Flashy dress shirts are the norm for guys when going out to a club in the winter. Also, church goers tend to dress up and would not wear jeans.

However, Columbus is more casual on a day to day basis or at a theater event than other places I have been to but the look is very different in function and style from New England. I think it is interesting.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:08 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,184,022 times
The area of West Michigan I am in is very, very casual. It is a farming region with a huge mix of veggies, fruits, milk, and some animals. Everybody tends to dress jeans or shorts and t-shirt in the Summer; with jeans, sweatshirts and a heavy jacket in the winter. Footwear runs the range of very expensive "names" to flip-flops. Depending on what is in the plans for the day. We have mile after mile of sugar sand beaches that are beautiful in the Summer months and the area adopts a very beach town pace and styling during the summer.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:16 AM

321 posts, read 1,019,849 times
Sweden has so much random style's compared to the US...
If you walk down a street downtown Gothenburg you can see 5 different famous styles from where you stand!
Ex: Hip Hopers,Emo's,Hard rockers or people with clothes way,way pass the buck (with example, very exclusive Lacoste clothes or something like that...)

Old 12-25-2008, 08:08 AM

16,740 posts, read 23,188,006 times
In Connecticut, people wear brands like Gap, Eddie Bauer, LLBean, EVERYONE (almost literally, everyone) has North Face in the winter...basically people here dress pretty conservatively.

A sweater on top of a button down Oxford is very popular here. Is that common anywhere else?

Old 12-25-2008, 08:15 AM

6,867 posts, read 12,820,089 times
In Houston:

Weekday: Dress shirt and tie
Weekend: T-shirt and jeans

Old 12-25-2008, 09:36 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,902,046 times
Please bring us back the Charlie's Angels era or the Dynasty era of dressing. I go shopping and see absolutely nothing that I want to put on my body. I have heard you can check the clothing and see when America is in a depression. I wonder if the lack of design in clothes has caused the depression. Give me something pretty to wear and I will find the money to buy it. I am not going out and buying something that looks like a sack.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:48 AM

155 posts, read 678,439 times
I would say guys in Atlanta tend to dress in expensive casual clothes. It's common to wear something like a polo, jeans, and tennis shoes. But the polo would be Lacoste, the jeans would be Lucky or Seven for All Mankind, and the shoes would be $100+ Nikes or something. It also wouldn't be uncommon to wear a blazer over this outfit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or