U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 08:41 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,242,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't know what you're confused about. Everyone's heard the term "If you can make it in NY, you can make it anywhere." It takes a tough person to be successful here. I think out of all the cities, it's hardest to make it here. That's why I said you'll find really tough guys here in the city. Mentally tough I mean.

But then again, those mentally tough guys usually aren't the least bit physically tough. It was the physically tough firefighters in 9/11 that helped save the mentally tough wealthy businessmen from the WTC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 03:24 PM

1,125 posts, read 4,103,931 times
northern maine for sure

Old 01-22-2009, 03:41 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,631,151 times
Anywhere that is in a remote area where people work dangerous jobs. Like oil rigs . I'm thinking Alaska

Old 01-23-2009, 12:26 PM

55,667 posts, read 74,628,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Southern men have a reputation for being tough and manly, and quick to fight someone, and don't take no crap. The rural "redneck" types have been known to be intimidating towards people from other parts of the country. Stereotypically speaking, a lot them have a big muscular build, look like they have played h.s. football, and have mustaches and marine style haircuts. In addition, they have a wall full of guns.
i do not. well anyway not that many, well its a small wall ok?

Old 01-23-2009, 12:54 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,385,993 times
there are many different types of toughness

You must be more specific

Farmers are not the physically toughest because most of the rough stuff is done by a machine or an illegal immigrant

Only Alaska's eskimos are tough

Blacks in SoCal are tough because they are engaged in a race war with the mexicans

If you wanna make it in NYC, being tough just rubs off on people the wrong way unless you are mobbed up, in fact, you can almost say that you have to be a arse kisser to be a successful on Wall street

Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,905,824 times
The comparisons between cities on here get more and more ridiculous with passing time. The toughest men? Absolutely no way to validate it. There is physically tough, mentally tough, emotionally cold...no two people are alike, regardless if they are next-door neighbors or live 3000 miles apart.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:03 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,905,824 times
If I honestly had to answer that, I'd probably say some of the bigger cities. Miami, New Orleans, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, and Philadelphia and Dallas all come to mind.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:14 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,704,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Southern men have a reputation for being tough and manly, and quick to fight someone, and don't take no crap. The rural "redneck" types have been known to be intimidating towards people from other parts of the country. Stereotypically speaking, a lot them have a big muscular build, look like they have played h.s. football, and have mustaches and marine style haircuts. In addition, they have a wall full of guns.

Except for Parris Island and the other military towns, its difficult to take a town's reputation for toughness seriously when its routinely 60 degrees in the winter. I could be wrong about this, but i do not associate most Southern, warm-weather towns with Toughness.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:27 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,704,352 times
For your city to be tough, i think you need the following requirements:

1. Contribution to society. Whether its a lot of people in the military, resiliant efforts to rebuild after a natural disaster, the firefighters and police officers in NY after 9/11. There is no point to being Tough if you cannot do something good with your toughness.

2. Not expensive-- Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, LA?? Too expensive for the average, blue-collar, working stiff.

3. Pride-- DC is a beautiful city, but has a lot of transplants who come in and work for a few years and leave. You need an old-school city where people live and die with their community.

4. Obsession with sports, especially football.

5. Cold weather. Not an absolute requirement, but it definitely helps.

From those criteria, i would say the toughest towns in the US are Parris Island and San Diego (Marine Corps training sites), followed closely by the other military towns, followed by NY, then Philly (sue me for being a homer, but a bunch of guys from the Kensington neighborhood recently beat the crap out of a known child molester because they thought the courts were too lenient... gotta love Vigilante Justice). Followed by Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, and a bunch of other blue-collar towns with hard working people and icy cold winters.

This is a great thread, by the way. I recently posted a similar one, i must have missed this one.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:28 PM

206 posts, read 596,229 times
Where ever the lumberjacks are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or