U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:28 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,981,759 times

Advertisements

Believe me Atlanta is a "fairyland".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:29 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,981,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
Bo jackson use to break bats on his knee!! Charles Barkley terrorized the NBA at 6'6 and 265 pounds, he slapped Charles Oakley, fought Shaq slammed him to the floor and is a hall of famer at the power forward position!! Terrell Owens isn't bad either!!! Richard Petty either or Bear Bryant!!!

Well, that is just incredible............

Old 03-23-2011, 03:13 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,897,764 times
The bayous of Louisiana have to breed some tough men. The mosquitos and mix of heat/humidity during July and August have to be pretty rough. (Although I feel more comfortable in a warmer climate than a cooler one). Alaska has to have some pretty tough people too.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 457 times
There really isn't a "tough guy", culture any longer. You will get yourself shot nowadays. There once was a term,that was used quite often,where I come from. It,was referred to as,an Oklahoma Ass Whoopin. And,I have been dealt a few,and have dished a few myself. The days of a brew-ha ha,are no longer,as everyone is to selfish and isolated in their smartphone,to look u
p long enough to get tossed a beating.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:44 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,604,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickel Fritz III View Post
There really isn't a "tough guy", culture any longer. You will get yourself shot nowadays. There once was a term,that was used quite often,where I come from. It,was referred to as,an Oklahoma Ass Whoopin. And,I have been dealt a few,and have dished a few myself. The days of a brew-ha ha,are no longer,as everyone is to selfish and isolated in their smartphone,to look u
p long enough to get tossed a beating.

That's the same reason I heard why crime in general has gone down so sharply compared to 20, 30 or 40 years ago.There is less socializing and more looking at your phone. The less social interaction the less crime.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:56 PM

157 posts, read 99,075 times
When I think of a city or town with "tough" citizens, I think of a community of honest, no-nonsense people that look out for each other and don't put up with people causing trouble on their turf or bashing their town; they have a lot of pride and a good sense of sticking together. Philadelphia and New York come to mind, probably Boston as well. I'm sure plenty of rural areas fit the bill as well, not exactly sure where specifically.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:23 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,100,189 times
This is an outrageous thread.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:28 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,604,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal To The Core View Post
When I think of a city or town with "tough" citizens, I think of a community of honest, no-nonsense people that look out for each other and don't put up with people causing trouble on their turf or bashing their town; they have a lot of pride and a good sense of sticking together. Philadelphia and New York come to mind, probably Boston as well. I'm sure plenty of rural areas fit the bill as well, not exactly sure where specifically.
That's interesting that you have a positive interpretation of the word tough while I have a very negative one. When I think tough the first thing that comes to mind are violent criminal types, urban gangs, biker gangs etc. Then there are tough guys who aren't criminals but they have a hardened, hypermasculine persona. I find those guys very unpleasant to be around.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought to myself that I didn't know where the most tough guys live but wherever it is I sure don't want to be there!

Old 01-30-2018, 04:53 PM

506 posts, read 338,431 times
This thread reeks of overcompensation syndrome.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:49 PM

8,958 posts, read 4,099,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
For your city to be tough, i think you need the following requirements:

1. Contribution to society. Whether its a lot of people in the military, resiliant efforts to rebuild after a natural disaster, the firefighters and police officers in NY after 9/11. There is no point to being Tough if you cannot do something good with your toughness.

2. Not expensive-- Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, LA?? Too expensive for the average, blue-collar, working stiff.

3. Pride-- DC is a beautiful city, but has a lot of transplants who come in and work for a few years and leave. You need an old-school city where people live and die with their community.

4. Obsession with sports, especially football.

5. Cold weather. Not an absolute requirement, but it definitely helps.

From those criteria, i would say the toughest towns in the US are Parris Island and San Diego (Marine Corps training sites), followed closely by the other military towns, followed by NY, then Philly (sue me for being a homer, but a bunch of guys from the Kensington neighborhood recently beat the crap out of a known child molester because they thought the courts were too lenient... gotta love Vigilante Justice). Followed by Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, and a bunch of other blue-collar towns with hard working people and icy cold winters.

This is a great thread, by the way. I recently posted a similar one, i must have missed this one.
Oklahoma City checks off all of those. Heavy military presence. Agriculture, the trucking industry, and oil & gas are also huge sectors of the local economy. It's one of the few major cities where Trump is popular. Has probably the most extreme, harshest climate in North America. It also has a very low cost of living. Sports is a second religion for most people here, whether its the NBA or Sooner/Cowboys football. Outside of a few neighborhoods its probably one of the least gay friendly places in the US.

I think OKC is exactly the kind of place the OP is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or