Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you live in
Charlotte 12 22.22%
Atlanta 32 59.26%
Jacksonville 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,039 times

Advertisements

If you had job offers in all 3, (my wife does) which would you choose? We live in Columbia SC now but we're from Cincinnati. We're Cincinnati people much moreso than Columbia people. We do love the South but Columbia itself is not our cup of tea. Its small, slow, and lacks variety. Which is expected from a city as small as Columbia, but its not for us. If you were to choose between Charlotte, Atlanta, and Jacksonville based on the overall quality of life, the art scene, the strength of the urban core, best shopping and dining options (variety and options being the main key here) best livable neighborhoods in the city (we have kids but weve never and will never live in the burbs) there isnt really a neighborhood in Columbia that fits us well but if you're familiar with Cincinnati we are East Walnut Hills kind of people. Or the Northside neighborhood in Cincinnati probably fits a little better actually. Diverse, lively, urban yet relatively safe, close to everything. Weather is irrelvant. Im happy in sub zero weather and im happy in triple digit heat. I dont care at all about the climate. Up until I moved to Columbia I never would've thought to include this in a post like this, but bookstores are also important. Bookstores in Columbia are few and far between and the quality of those few leaves something to be desired. Based on tbose things as well as anything else you find relevant or even if you just prefer one over the rest and you dont even have a specific reason for it, which of those 3 cities would you prefer if you had employment secured in whichever you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 04:17 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
We are going to retire to Georgia, not Atlanta per se, but Georgia is like a happy medium to cold and heat north or south. So Atlanta would be my choice.

We will be a central location so we make easy day trips to Atlanta, Savannah, and even to Jacksonville. There can be day beach trips, too.

It WILL be slower than N.Y. of course, but that would suit us just fine.

If I were you, I'd quickly Google those cities, and maybe Google earth it so you are familiar, then make a weekend trip to all 3 and make your decision.

I'd also research jobs for YOU there as,well, UNLESS you work from home and can take it with you. Because you are likely to hate it more if you don't have a decent job there too.

Good luck in your search.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:19 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
I think Atlanta has become such a sprawling, ill-planned mess of a city that there's no way I'd live there. In order to live someplace affordable, you have to live out in the sticks and suffer through a grueling commute every day. I've driven in every major American city and nothing comes close to Atlanta for sheer misery.

Don't get me wrong. There's a lot to like about Atlanta. It's just not worth spending your life in the car in order to enjoy it.

Charlotte's pretty cool.

I choose Jacksonville solely for the fact that it's on the water.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 01-28-2018 at 06:44 AM..

Old 01-28-2018, 06:26 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I would suggest Atlanta and given your criteria neighborhoods like Inman Park or Old Fourth Ward as well as the neighboring suburbs (yet with an urban vibe) of Decatur and Druid Hills.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:58 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Given your criteria are mostly urban based, Atlanta would have the most to offer, although Charlotte is pretty strong as well. The traffic is indeed horrific during rush hours and living close to work would be highly recommended, so hopefully your spouse's Atlanta job is in a more central location.

I think bookstores are unfortunately in decline everywhere with competition from Amazon and other sources.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:45 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
quality of life, the art scene, the strength of the urban core, best shopping and dining options (variety and options being the main key here) best livable neighborhoods in the city
Based on what you are seeking above, I'd think Atlanta has the most to offer. Pretty much all of the historic neighborhoods east of downtown, and possibly a sprinkling of options elsewhere in the metro. What would really matter is where your wife's work is located and how bad the commute would be.

Charlotte would probably be second (I don't know it well) and Jax last. It all depends on the relative level of expectations you have in those factors you are seeking. Jax has great QOL and a decent art scene, urban core (not downtown but surrounding neighborhoods) and it's ok for shopping and dining, but it's certainly not close to the level of ATL for any of the above.

If you were to still want to do your due diligence on Jax, you would want to check out San Marco, Riverside, Avondale, and Springfield first. The beaches would be an x-factor not available anywhere else if that interests you...Jax Beaches have several decently walkable/vibrant neighborhoods but nothing to the level of a major urban core. Still, you'd have the ocean as an amenity and it's one of the most affordable major city beaches in the country. Also, we only have a handful of used bookstores. And probably only two (same owner) that would move the needle for any bibliophiles out there.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:48 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I think bookstores are unfortunately in decline everywhere with competition from Amazon and other sources.
Atlanta does have some nice bookstore options and while the online aspect has hurt some, those stores in the more intellectually-driven urban areas continue to thrive.

https://www.acappellabooks.com/
Posman Books - Local.Global.Independent
Home
Atlanta Vintage Books - Rare, vintage, out-of-print books

Old 01-28-2018, 01:14 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,599 times
More great Atlanta bookstores:

Cover Books
Cover Books

Little Shop of Stories
http://littleshopofstories.com/

Eagle Eye
Eagle Eye Bookshop | Home

Old 01-28-2018, 02:15 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would suggest Atlanta and given your criteria neighborhoods like Inman Park or Old Fourth Ward as well as the neighboring suburbs (yet with an urban vibe) of Decatur and Druid Hills.
Yes, if the OP is a fan of East Walnut Hills, these and other eastside Atlanta neighborhoods are their best bets. Of any of them, Inman Park would be EWH's closest counterpart.

I would also suggest:

Grant Park
East Atlanta
Kirkwood
Edgewood
Reynoldstown
Candler Park
Lake Claire
Virginia-Highland
Poncey-Highland

Neither Charlotte nor Jacksonville is going to offer the variety of older neighborhoods that Atlanta does.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:36 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
ATL, sounds like it would fit what you are looking for. As many have stated though traffic is pretty bad, so be prepared for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.