U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:43 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,989,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
It was 24 degrees out when me and the pup went for our walk. Beautiful blue sky with bright sun, some clouds, no wind. Typical of what we get in the months of December and then starting again in March, more sunny days than not. Didn't have to zip up the jacket but we are not sweating in our rooms either. We should be getting some days up in the 60's before too long. I see the forecast for later in the week, not looking too bad.

I do not expect major snow for the rest of the year. We do get a dusting and maybe some snow squalls but it should be pretty much over.

Maybe your sister will move to Oil City too, once you break ground and blaze the trail to Paradise. I probably can take some pix's. Don't get much time with all this running out to check the temps.

Yup, value trickling thru the sands in WPB, should have timed that boom better. See if I be on the road this weekend. Could make Oil City if the sun shines and the creek don't rise.

Makes me wonder why you drive all the way to hot Florida when you arent cold in southeast Ohio and its mild winters. Different story if you are far up in Canada when its 20 below Maybe my bro, sis, mom, dad will wanna move up after I brag how much I like it up there If you make it to Oil city, take many, many pics. I want lots of pics of houses and stores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 09:46 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,618,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Makes me wonder why you drive all the way to hot Florida when you arent cold in southeast Ohio and its mild winters. Different story if you are far up in Canada when its 20 below Maybe my bro, sis, mom, dad will wanna move up after I brag how much I like it up there If you make it to Oil city, take many, many pics. I want lots of pics of houses and stores
I can't see what part about winter you don't understand in the more northern parts of the country. I'm at like Lat. 39.7. About as far North as I ever want to be again.

Winter is like a hump type curve 120 days or so long. Winter can start about Thanksgiving. We are in the zone to get hit. Typically that does not totally happen in Monroe County. You can have some very nice days well into December. Be out running around in a T-Shirt. Can have snow, usually don't. Temps down to high 20's are common, can up into the 60's. Good amount of sunshine. You need heat in the house to be turned on. Usually a pretty easy month to take. Ground usually not hard frozen, can get freeze / thaw cycles. Good days / bad days sort of interesting, can go on most trips, even longer ones. You are not tired of winter, looking forward to Xmas. I like this part of winter. Have to wear a coat but its not bad.

Xmas can have snow, pretty good chance of something in that week to New Years. White Xmas feels like Xmas to someone born in that type climate.

Then it gets serious. Temps are lower, can be like this year, can even go below zero. Can get down there and stay there for weeks. Ground froze like steel. Months of January - February are not fun. Going to be the worse of what you are going to get. Can vary year to year. Nasty storms can cancel most travel, close schools, possible around me. Can be just because of cold. I had a car freeze up while driving it from Zanesville to Columbus many years back, it can be brutal. You can get cabin fever after so many days of this. Dog does not want to go out. Salt on roads, things look yeck, track it in the house. Can get ice on roads, very dangerous, must know how to modify your driving. You can not make light of this period, it will be the same in Oil City.

Some winters are very mild, the one before this one was. The hard winters you want out bad in those 60 days in the winter. I rarely stayed in Boston thru that period I was out to somewhere, anywhere, I HAD to get out. Climbing the wall by Feb. I am not crazy, if I get the chance to go to Florida in that period, I am like GONE. Even a few weeks makes all the difference in the World. Anything to break up that period. Can be very depressing if you have to do the entire winter hunkered down.

The last 30 days of that period is like now, usually is the month of March. Similar to the month of December only in reverse. If you had to endure the two middle months it can see like forever. If you had a mid winter break, it can be sort of enjoyable.

We will see if I make it to Oil City. Actually I would like to see those bridges. Bridges across the Ohio are very interesting, some are wonderful. If you seen one store, you have seen them all. Same crap anywhere in the country. The only thing that varies in prices and attitude for service. Maybe use this trip as part of the last of winter thing. Winter travel can be interesting. No tourists anywhere. You almost see places as they really are.

Maybe I will keep a log for the record to bill for this trip. If things run over in Ohio for the weekend, I may cancel if the weather is bad. Did you give me the right CC number????

Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 PM

Guess the best way is to visit those places in the winter and see what its like for myself. I thought southeast OH had really mild winters but if this is not the case then Oil city is almost the same as Woodsfield, just a few degrees colder.

I will visit my parents during the winter because ill miss them and also because thats when Florida isnt burning hot. Millions of people live in cool/cold climates all year round

Old 03-07-2007, 10:52 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,618,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I thought southeast OH had really mild winters
Normally it does, not this time. But all the snow we got today should be going by tomorrow night. Winter is just like throwing dice. You are not exactly sure what is going to come up each time.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:24 PM

This is why I like to go by averages and also actual temperatures. I check all the time how cold it is. Saturday and onward the highs will be 45-50 with the lows just above freezing in Oil city. This makes me think winter has gone out with a bang and spring is here. I can easily tolerate 50 degrees, in fact its pretty comfortable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or