U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 07:37 AM

5,727 posts, read 9,088,192 times

Advertisements

Precisely why I recommended Fredericksburg. He can still have a relatively short drive to the DC airports to get to NYC and the year round weather in most of VA is noticeably milder than all of NY. Plus, Mary Washington College has 3,700 students and the crime rates are not horrible for a city of this scope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 09:42 AM

40 posts, read 155,658 times
[quote=FTLkid754;6709446]How can any place be within 2 hrs driving distance of NYC and still have good warm weather? The closest I can think of is the D.C area. It is is relativley close to NYC and you can always hop on a plane or take the train up to New York. You can definitley make it in D.C making 175,000 dollars a year and D.C is a mecca for young people looking for work. D.C has slightly better weather then NY but not by much.[/QUOTEI

I am kind of looking for a place where if it is far from New York their is an ease of flying in terms of fares and a lot of flights. for example I would much prefer to have to fly on a regular basis from Las Vegas to New York rather then say Albuquerque. Even though the distance is more or less the same Las Vegas just has so many more flights and better fares. I realize that I might not find a place that has everything And will hve to make some trade offs but I am open to all suggestions Pittsburgh would be perfect except for the winter. I am from Philly so that is definitly a contender. .

Old 12-26-2008, 11:41 AM

23,076 posts, read 35,028,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Precisely why I recommended Fredericksburg. He can still have a relatively short drive to the DC airports to get to NYC and the year round weather in most of VA is noticeably milder than all of NY. Plus, Mary Washington College has 3,700 students and the crime rates are not horrible for a city of this scope.
I agree; $175,000 a year may sound like all the money in the world, but it doesn't go as far in the DC metro as some might think. My nephew and his wife have a pretty good combined income (about $350M annually), but to build the house that they wanted for their family of four they had to locate way out in Leesburg.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:53 PM

56,607 posts, read 80,890,793 times
I was thinking Virginia too, but more in the way of the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area. There are plenty of colleges there like Old Dominion, Hampton, Norfolk State and William and Mary, among others there. Also, Virginia Beach is in the area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or