U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2008, 08:15 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,348,696 times
Reputation: 2698

Advertisements

Top twenty

1. Seatle and Minneapolis (tie)

3. Washington D.C

4. St. Paul

5. San Francisco

6.Atlanta

7. Denver

8. Boston

9. St. Louis

10. Cincinnati and Portland, Ore. (tie)

11. Pittsburgh

12. Cleveland

13. Raleigh, NC

14. Columbus, OH

15. Baltimore

16. Austin

17. Kansas City

18. Lexington-Fayette, KY and Nashville-Davidson, TN (tie)

19. Tulsa, OK

20. Honolulu

The study does not look at reading test scores or how often people read, but what kinds of literary resources are available and used. This is "one critical index of our nation's well-being," says study author Jack Miller, president of Central Connecticut State University in New Britain, Conn.

Cities that ranked higher for having more bookstores also have a higher proportion of people buying books online, the analysis found, and cities with newspapers that have high per-capita circulation rates also have more people reading newspapers online. Likewise, cities that ranked higher for having well-used libraries also have more booksellers.

Seattle, Minneapolis most literate of big cities - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2008, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
16,763 posts, read 23,205,932 times
Reputation: 5857
Cool list. I'm not surprised Seattle is #1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2008, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,056 posts, read 30,564,061 times
Reputation: 10490
I saw this statistic in a newspaper recently, and to tell you the truth, I found it frightening:

90% of the bookstores in the United States are located within 150 miles of New York City. Of the other 10%, the majority are within 150 miles of either Boston or San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2008, 09:01 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,348,696 times
Reputation: 2698
Bookstores are getting somewhat obsolete IMO. I buy the vast majority of my books online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2008, 09:20 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,289,554 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I saw this statistic in a newspaper recently, and to tell you the truth, I found it frightening:

90% of the bookstores in the United States are located within 150 miles of New York City. Of the other 10%, the majority are within 150 miles of either Boston or San Francisco.
90% of the bookstores in the U.S. are Borders or Barnes & Noble...

I'm having a tough time giving the above statistic any credibility. Large cities have a ton of bookstores - even small towns usually have at least one bookstore. I think that statistic is a little NYC-centric.

I will say that Amazon and online purchasing has really put a hurting on some retail industries...bookstores included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2008, 09:36 AM
 
155 posts, read 678,602 times
Reputation: 116
It's suspect that the nation's three largest cities are absent from the list, especially NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2008, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,717,071 times
Reputation: 7282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I saw this statistic in a newspaper recently, and to tell you the truth, I found it frightening:

90% of the bookstores in the United States are located within 150 miles of New York City. Of the other 10%, the majority are within 150 miles of either Boston or San Francisco.
What bookstores? I've honestly only seen two bookstores which were barnes and nobles or Borders. I've also been to Hastings, but not sure if that exactly counts as a bookstore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2008, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,261,819 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I saw this statistic in a newspaper recently, and to tell you the truth, I found it frightening:

90% of the bookstores in the United States are located within 150 miles of New York City. Of the other 10%, the majority are within 150 miles of either Boston or San Francisco.

I saw the same thing. Go us It says a lot if most bookstores in the country are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2008, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
16,763 posts, read 23,205,932 times
Reputation: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdallas View Post
It's suspect that the nation's three largest cities are absent from the list, especially NYC.
Same here.

I've also heard that 90% of all bookstores are in the NYC metro. I don't know if that's the truth, but if it is, yes - quite scary. CT still has quite a bit of small, privately owned stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2008, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,717,071 times
Reputation: 7282
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Same here.

I've also heard that 90% of all bookstores are in the NYC metro. I don't know if that's the truth, but if it is, yes - quite scary. CT still has quite a bit of small, privately owned stores.
Maybe they are going by the percentage of people who own library cards?? This list is almost as dumb as the fattest cities list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top