Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 08:42 PM

27 posts, read 105,143 times

Advertisements

I graduate next year and after graduation me and a friend want to do a road trip and travel around. I have a list of cities that kind of "outlines" my trip, but I need help deciding what to do in those places or if I should choose another place. Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated. Here is my list so far:

[SIZE=2]1.) Saint Louis, Missouri
2.) Kansas City, Missouri
3.) Lincoln, Nebraska
4.) Omaha, Nebraska
5.) Sioux Falls, South Dakota
6.) Pierre, South Dakota
7.) Rapid City, South Dakota
8.) Casper, Wyoming
10.) Ten Sleep, Wyoming
11.) Yellowstone, Wyoming
12.) Helena, Montana
13.) Walla Walla, Washington
14.) Seattle, Washington
15.) Olympia, Washington
16.) Salem, Oregon
17.) Eugene, Oregon
18.) Eureka, California
19.) San Jose, California
20.) Los Angeles, California
21.) Palm Springs, California
22.) Flagstaff, Arizona
23.) Cedar City, Utah
24.) Dixie National Forest, Utah
25.) Durango, Colorado
26.) Albuquerque, New Mexico
27.) Los Lunas, New Mexico
28.) Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
29.) Roswell, New Mexico
30.) Lubbock, Texas
31.) Fort Worth, Texas
32.) Dallas, Texas
33.) Shreveport, Louisiana
34.) El Dorado, Arkansas
35.) Greenville, Mississippi
35.) Tupelo, Mississippi
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 08:46 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
I think it's hilarious that there's a town called Truth or consequences. Never heard of such a thing lol. Anyway, do you plan on hitting up the southeast and northeast? You're missing a huge chunk of a "US tour."

Old 12-25-2008, 08:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
I think you should choose a LOT of other places honestly...could replace most of those with a nearby city that is more interesting...

Old 12-25-2008, 09:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie_Pants View Post
I graduate next year and after graduation me and a friend want to do a road trip and travel around. I have a list of cities that kind of "outlines" my trip, but I need help deciding what to do in those places or if I should choose another place. Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated. Here is my list so far:

[SIZE=2]1.) Saint Louis, Missouri okay, how about chicago/milwaukee/madison/montana/minneapolis (national parks, etc.)
2.) Kansas City, Missouri
3.) Lincoln, Nebraska
4.) Omaha, Nebraska
5.) Sioux Falls, South Dakota
6.) Pierre, South Dakota uhh why?
7.) Rapid City, South Dakota
8.) Casper, Wyoming
10.) Ten Sleep, Wyoming hmm why
11.) Yellowstone, Wyoming
12.) Helena, Montana
13.) Walla Walla, Washington uhhh
14.) Seattle, Washington
15.) Olympia, Washington skip
16.) Salem, Oregon go to vancouver instead...
17.) Eugene, Oregon okay, how about portland also
18.) Eureka, California okay, hippy town...cool
19.) San Jose, California ummm SF and north bay... san jose is boring
20.) Los Angeles, California okay
21.) Palm Springs, California why not san diego/tijuana...
22.) Flagstaff, Arizona okay cool hiking
23.) Cedar City, Utah umm?
24.) Dixie National Forest, Utah umm
25.) Durango, Colorado ummm Denver/boulder area/red rocks...?
26.) Albuquerque, New Mexico okay hiking...
27.) Los Lunas, New Mexico ummm
28.) Truth or Consequences, New Mexico ummm
29.) Roswell, New Mexico ummm tourist town, worth 30 minutes...
30.) Lubbock, Texas ummm? how about san antonio ... houston, austin...
31.) Fort Worth, Texas umm already going to dallas
32.) Dallas, Texas
33.) Shreveport, Louisiana ummm how about baton rouge or new orleans...
34.) El Dorado, Arkansas uhh why
35.) Greenville, Mississippi uhhh why...biloxi/jackson
35.) Tupelo, Mississippi agian, why.
[/SIZE]
see notes...

Old 12-25-2008, 09:10 PM

I live in KY and have been to alot of eastern and souther states already. I am trying to cover from the Mississippi westward.

And yes, Truth or Consequences is a real place, with beautiful scenery and buildings.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie_Pants View Post
And yes, Truth or Consequences is a real place, with beautiful scenery and buildings.

Yep, i looked it up on city-data. The scenery looks really pretty. The southwest is beautiful. You'll have a good time.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:16 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Palm Springs: I will make one suggestion that most visitors don't do. And that's to see the Palm Canyons on the Indian Reservation. It's very easy to get to. There are actually three "canyons" there but the one you can't miss is Palm Canyon itself. You will find the most breath-taking view of an oasis of gigantic palm trees unlike anything you'll find somewhere else. Go earlier in the morning. You can hike down to experience the unique serenity of the place and walk along the stream.

San Andreas Canyon, just a short away, is worth a stop, too. You can see mortars in boulders where the Indians ground their mesquite beans. The hike along the stream is very peaceful. Very beautiful.

Take your camera and water!

The reservation is closed off during the summer.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
see notes...

I am wanting to hit alot of the landmarks, such as the St. Louis Arch and such. I planed these places for a reason. Why travel from the coast of Oregon to the center of Oregon, then back to the coast of california when you can go straight down. And greenville has a cool cypress Preserve. I love nature and animal related places.

We have never been out of our "comfort zone." All the places over here are basically the same. We want to see what all is out there and live a little.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:21 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
I would skip Pierre, SD. It's too far off the Interstate and there's nothing there except the state capitol which is very boring. That will give you an extra day in Rapid City and the Black Hills to see Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, Crazy Horse, and Deadwood.

Great list by the way!

Old 12-25-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Palm Springs: I will make one suggestion that most visitors don't do. And that's to see the Palm Canyons on the Indian Reservation. It's very easy to get to. There are actually three "canyons" there but the one you can't miss is Palm Canyon itself. You will find the most breath-taking view of an oasis of gigantic palm trees unlike anything you'll find somewhere else. Go earlier in the morning. You can hike down to experience the unique serenity of the place and walk along the stream.

San Andreas Canyon, just a short away, is worth a stop, too. You can see mortars in boulders where the Indians ground their mesquite beans. The hike along the stream is very peaceful. Very beautiful.

Take your camera and water!

The reservation is closed off during the summer.

Thanks for the tip. Sounds great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.