U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:18 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,870,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

-Do they still call it "pop" in the midwest or parts of it? In most states its soda..
Yes, the majority of the Midwest, and Canada, and a good portion of the Pacific Northwest, uses the term 'pop'. Here in Chicago 'pop' and 'soda' are used interchangeably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 06:26 AM

750 posts, read 1,267,463 times
John23: Google "pop vs soda" and you'll find links to a very entertaining map that shows areas of the US using the words pop, soda, coke, etc.
A Harvard linguist conducted a survey a few years ago and captured many "regionalisms" in speech and pronunciations. One outcome of the survey was a map showing, by zip code, the use of pop or soda.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:55 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,924,816 times
I've a verbal mannerism to put down: "and em".
Example: My brother and em are running late right now.
It means a person and their group or party.
I noticed this is used in FLA and GA; I use it myself.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:41 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,958,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I've a verbal mannerism to put down: "and em".
Example: My brother and em are running late right now.
It means a person and their group or party.
I noticed this is used in FLA and GA; I use it myself.
I use it too as in Mom an 'em

Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,757,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Chicken fingers, fries, fried chicken, etc are made to be eaten with your fingers Dang, now I'm hungry!
Ribs, too.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:26 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,757,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I am one that thinks tailgating/honking unless sombody does wait too long at a light is rude. The only time I feel that the horn should be used is to warn somebody of a potential wreck.
Well, in the South, I learned there's a specific code when it comes to honking your horn. The only time you lean on the horn is in extremis. NOT to show mild irritation. To wit:

"Hey, the light is green. Move your ass." Two very short and friendly taps on the horn. Both parties wave at one another.

"Hey, Joe, I'm over here. How's it going?" Two medium horn blasts. In this situation, it is required that you roll down your window and trade small talk for as long as the traffic light is red.

"Hey, Millers. Get your kid out here, or the whole carpool is going to be late for school and I'll miss my tennis game." Two long blasts. When kid finally comes out, wave at mother, while thinking, "Oh, I'm so getting even with you at Junior League."

"HEY! WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!" One long sustained blast. Once collision is avoided, give other driver a friendly wave to show that no harm was done.

See, where Northerners make their mistake is that everything seems to be a long horn blast without nuance. Case in point? When my city had an Olympic event, a car from New Jersey was behind a local driver. The New Jersey guy didn't like something the local driver did and leaned on the horn. The other driver immediately shifted into park, and all 6' 8" of him got out of the car to ascertain the problem. Ascertaining the problem, by the way, involved pulling open the driver's door and threatening to yank him out.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 PM

11 posts, read 30,528 times
They say, here in Seattle, that a real local never uses an umbrella when it rains. A real insider doesn't even wear a hat.

Also, Anglos have the whitest skin here, being only casually acquainted with the sun.

Half the people look like they stepped out of a back issue of L.L. Bean...plaid shirt, hiking boots, subaru with Darwin sticker...you get the picture. And the Subaru is a hybrid.

The other half look like London wannabes...black or grey garb, goatees, scarfs, with laptops sitting around coffee shops.

Great place to live!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:43 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,070,436 times
In GA:

Isn't = Idn't
Doesn't = Dudn't
Getting ready = Fixin'

Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,249,175 times
My friend from Arkansas says "fixin' to" alllll the time. She tries to get me to say it. She also says she cannot stand when I call a group of girls, "you guys." She tells me "I'm NOT a guy!" lol

Old 12-30-2008, 05:54 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,958,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Ribs, too.
That's true too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.