U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:56 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,979,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, in the South, I learned there's a specific code when it comes to honking your horn. The only time you lean on the horn is in extremis. NOT to show mild irritation. To wit:

"Hey, the light is green. Move your ass." Two very short and friendly taps on the horn. Both parties wave at one another.

"Hey, Joe, I'm over here. How's it going?" Two medium horn blasts. In this situation, it is required that you roll down your window and trade small talk for as long as the traffic light is red.

"Hey, Millers. Get your kid out here, or the whole carpool is going to be late for school and I'll miss my tennis game." Two long blasts. When kid finally comes out, wave at mother, while thinking, "Oh, I'm so getting even with you at Junior League."

"HEY! WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!" One long sustained blast. Once collision is avoided, give other driver a friendly wave to show that no harm was done.

See, where Northerners make their mistake is that everything seems to be a long horn blast without nuance. Case in point? When my city had an Olympic event, a car from New Jersey was behind a local driver. The New Jersey guy didn't like something the local driver did and leaned on the horn. The other driver immediately shifted into park, and all 6' 8" of him got out of the car to ascertain the problem. Ascertaining the problem, by the way, involved pulling open the driver's door and threatening to yank him out.
You are much more detailed than I am LOL I will just say that you don't hear much in the way of car honking where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 01:00 PM

5,861 posts, read 14,080,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Whenever I eat pizza with a fork people react to it as if I'm sticking it up my butt. I hate having greasy fingers too.
Makes 3 of us!

Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 PM

5,861 posts, read 14,080,701 times
I like the way Southerners will strike up a conversation with you, like when you are standing in line at the grocery or pumping gas. Doesn't happen very much where I've lived in the NE and Midwest. I was especially charmed by everyday New Orleanians when I was down there last year.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:05 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,224,632 times
^^^Lol, wtf? Who sticks a fork in their a*S?

When I visited southern states everyone insisted their food be absolutely douched in ranch dressing.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:07 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,224,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I like the way Southerners will strike up a conversation with you, like when you are standing in line at the grocery or pumping gas. Doesn't happen very much where I've lived in the NE and Midwest. I was especially charmed by everyday New Orleanians when I was down there last year.
That would be somewhat refreshing, at first. People's blank stares and inconspicuous daily activities depress me.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:12 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,979,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post

When I visited southern states everyone insisted their food be absolutely douched in ranch dressing.
I thought that was just my daughter

Old 12-30-2008, 04:37 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post

I never understood the ranch dressing thing. It was all the rage when I went to college (down south), but I couldn't get into it.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:54 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,814,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Whenever I eat pizza with a fork people react to it as if I'm sticking it up my butt. I hate having greasy fingers too.
I'd never eat pizza with a fork, unless it was really, really messy. Just like Chinese food always tastes better using chopsticks, pizza always tastes better when you use your hands, for some reason.

Greasy fingers? That's what napkins are for.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:57 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,814,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
People around here use their hands a lot too and they say "and that" at the end of all their sentences. And they say "say" before their sentences.

"Say, I have to run to Safeway to get bread, and that."
In my native Cleveland, lots of people also use "and that". Only it comes out sounding like "annat".

Old 12-30-2008, 08:29 PM

304 posts, read 830,025 times
hmm

i noticed from these forums:

people from everywhere but the west/california seem to care about "northerners" and "southerners" and how they act/what they do

people from "the north" and "the south" are always picking at each others slow/fast pace, friendlyness factor..

no one from california really gives two craps about anywhere outside ur state in podunk united states like new york state and other crappy nasty weather places

we dont really care if "people wave to you on the street" from a southerner perspective...or "people get to the point around here" like northerners

we are just like "whatever....who cares? u both are irrelevant" to us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.