U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:33 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,870,903 times

Advertisements

With an attitude like that it is no wonder we are counting down the days until your state falls into the ocean and hopefully taking you with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 08:46 PM

56,687 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My friend from Arkansas says "fixin' to" alllll the time. She tries to get me to say it. She also says she cannot stand when I call a group of girls, "you guys." She tells me "I'm NOT a guy!" lol
Sounds like my parents, who are from Mississippi and South Carolina, respectively. I admit, I've done it too in regards to saying fixin' to or finst to. Same here with the "you guys" thing.

Also, I don't know about the Chicken Fingers or as they call them in Utica, Riggies, being eaten with a fork. I don't think they care either way up here.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:26 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,544,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
no one from california really gives two craps about anywhere outside ur state in podunk united states like new york state and other crappy nasty weather places
Let's see...we're talking about regional mannerisms, right? If this is typical of Californians (and as a native-born New Yorker, I can't say for sure that it's not!) then we've just found another one--which I'm not naming here for fear of having it deleted as rude, inappropriate, etc.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:33 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,757,067 times
Quote:
hmm

i noticed from these forums:

people from everywhere but the west/california seem to care about "northerners" and "southerners" and how they act/what they do

people from "the north" and "the south" are always picking at each others slow/fast pace, friendlyness factor..

no one from california really gives two craps about anywhere outside ur state in podunk united states like new york state and other crappy nasty weather places

we dont really care if "people wave to you on the street" from a southerner perspective...or "people get to the point around here" like northerners

we are just like "whatever....who cares? u both are irrelevant" to us
Yes, but you're also typically shallow, self-centered, and vain. So none of that really surprises the rest of the country. We keep rooting for the apocolyptic Big One to flush you guys out to sea. The only ones who would be mourning would be network executives, Hummer salespeople and plastic surgeons.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:04 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,057,064 times
Quote:
hmm

people from everywhere but the west/california seem to care about "northerners" and "southerners" and how they act/what they do

people from "the north" and "the south" are always picking at each others slow/fast pace, friendlyness factor..

we dont really care if "people wave to you on the street" from a southerner perspective...or "people get to the point around here" like northerners

Thank you for that, Prince Charming.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:17 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,123,607 times
Quote:
hmm

How about this then...

Start a secession movement of your own to seperate from the North and the South and Podunk America.

We in the South tried it back in 1861, and it didn't work out. However, in your case, I don't think there are going to be too many who will do anything but wish you god-speed and hope y'all keep in touch. Write us occasionally and let us know how you are doing, ya heah? (assuming of course, you aren't a part of Mexico, or haven't splashed into the Pacific Ocean).

Old 12-31-2008, 07:14 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,709,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Couple observations from a Californian...

-Who moves the fastest, out of California, So Cal, Chicago or New York? So cal'ers talk fast, move fast. I go to a state like Florida (and came back from Mass two months ago), and everyone back there is normal, moving at normal speed. They have a-l-l, t-h-e, t-i-m-e, i-n, t-h-e, w-o-r-l-d. Relative to quick californians. We'd abbreviate it like, qck.

-I think people on the coasts use abbreviations more. They're in an ASAP world. And lots of digital abbreviations.

-Do they still call it "pop" in the midwest or parts of it? In most states its soda.

But the movement thing/fastness is what I notice most.
Having grown up in Chicago, I can relate. That I've seen, it's generally unique to Chicago that when surrounded by people I'm comfortable with, I speak so quickly it becomes another language. I never noticed until my SO, a Brazilian accustomed to NYC, kept saying "I can't understand you, speak slower". "You're talking too fast, can you please slow down?" When we become excited, Chicagoans rapidly accelerate their speech to inhuman levels.

I don't realize that I'm doing it, and it's frustrating to an extreme degree to have to "slow down" and repeat myself several times to someone else Learn to talk faster!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:43 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,924,816 times
Quote:
hmm

Entertaining post but you're trying too/hella hard. A lot your post have that "If I can't be one then lash out" tone to it. What does he mean? I mean you always bash anything associated with NYC (state, region, coast,etc) because I think you wish you were born there (just admit it so you can heal up). I also enjoy your epic battles with Futurecop but you're biting his style on here, for real (I bet you wish you were his brother). We Southerners have been dissed for the longest so your insults don't bother us. I guess I'm podunk if that's the rest of the US outside of Cali/West. Anyway sorry to bother you, you can get back to your study of East Coast mannerisms.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:52 AM

835 posts, read 2,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My friend from Arkansas says "fixin' to" alllll the time. She tries to get me to say it. She also says she cannot stand when I call a group of girls, "you guys." She tells me "I'm NOT a guy!" lol
Lol well it's time to adapt.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:35 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,008,917 times
I'm from TN, but I have a friend from up North and he says that people down here like to make small talk, while people up North don't. Example, if i'm walking to class and I pass by someone that I know well or even barely know I will say "Hey, how are you doing" then they usually say "fine" and I say "That's good, i'll see ya later" and we go our separate ways. I find it hard to believe that that's not common outside of the South. Do people do this where you live?

And about honking, most people only do it if they see someone they know and they're trying to get their attention. It's like saying "hey" with your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.