U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:00 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,008,917 times

Advertisements

^ Yeah some people started doin that here. They sound dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,559 times
In Wisconsin people are rude--short sentences, argumentative, offish, and awful drivers because they have no regard for others. I almost got rear ended when I stopped for a pedestrian IN THE CROSSWALK, other cars behind me pulled around me to pass on the right almost hitting the pedestrian

Today I watched someone at the gym walk directly in front of someone else working on arm curls close to the mirror, basically just cutting the guy off and distracting him to get a barbell--not even a grunt, sorry, or anything...or could have just walked around five more feet

The well water must be bad in this state. Some of things that pass for 'ok' here would get people into a brawl or shot on the west coast.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:26 AM

1,992 posts, read 6,036,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraaaa View Post
Up here in Northern California it's common for people to use the word "hella" by way of exaggeration.

Example: That movie was hella awesome!
You will hear "hella" up and down the entire west coast. I use it myself.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 PM

186 posts, read 573,002 times
I've heard "hella" used before - only on the west coast. Yet, hearing in the south would be really weird.

Here in the SW - the added 's' at the end words seems to be done mainly by elderly people - "Let's go to Kmart's....UGH it's soooo annoying.

Honking here in NM is rarely done IMO. But if you honk, it's to say 'hey' to someone or its to say "hey &$#! you are about to hit me/somebody".

People here tend to walk slow which can be annoying. I guess that's why smoe call it the land of 'manana'.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:26 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,890,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
see what im saying though...."north" and "south" people care way too much what the others do
I gotta agree here. It seems like the "North" and "South" are always kind of splitting hairs with one another. Obviously it's just irrelevant to us West Coasters. Personally, I find it interesting though. That's just an outsider's perspective however.

Anyway, the poster who said honking wasn't really regional and was more urban/rural, I have to disagree. In Portland and Seattle you will get the dreaded DEATH GLARE if you honk unnecessarily, as well as risk passive-aggressive retaliation from nearby drivers. And don't forget about bike or pedestrian rage... I've seen it happen. I've done it actually to some dumb Washingtonian in a huge truck who cut me off in a crosswalk.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:18 PM

47 posts, read 113,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, in the South, I learned there's a specific code when it comes to honking your horn. The only time you lean on the horn is in extremis. NOT to show mild irritation. To wit:

"Hey, the light is green. Move your ass." Two very short and friendly taps on the horn. Both parties wave at one another.

"Hey, Joe, I'm over here. How's it going?" Two medium horn blasts. In this situation, it is required that you roll down your window and trade small talk for as long as the traffic light is red.

"Hey, Millers. Get your kid out here, or the whole carpool is going to be late for school and I'll miss my tennis game." Two long blasts. When kid finally comes out, wave at mother, while thinking, "Oh, I'm so getting even with you at Junior League."

"HEY! WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!" One long sustained blast. Once collision is avoided, give other driver a friendly wave to show that no harm was done.

See, where Northerners make their mistake is that everything seems to be a long horn blast without nuance. Case in point? When my city had an Olympic event, a car from New Jersey was behind a local driver. The New Jersey guy didn't like something the local driver did and leaned on the horn. The other driver immediately shifted into park, and all 6' 8" of him got out of the car to ascertain the problem. Ascertaining the problem, by the way, involved pulling open the driver's door and threatening to yank him out.
We do this too in South Carolina. It's just common courtesy.

Also, we of course do the whole opening the door thing for ladies. Ma'am and Sir are quite common just out of politeness. Small talk is also a usual occurence.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:43 PM

2,348 posts, read 2,427,052 times
In New England:

-the use of the word "wicked" usually followed by awesome
-the phrase "all set" meaning everything is okay/fine, something in the affirmative
-we will always talk about weather, there is always a conversation to be had
-we're very sarcastic, we have dry wit. Think Jay Leno or Conan, both Bostonians
-we concern ourselves with a person's education, it's a very important point of reference for ourselves
-we're usually reserved about ourselves
-we associate with the town or village we're from more than the state or nearest city
-state fairs and fall harvests
-pumpkin picking is a weekend event usually followed with apple cider doughnuts
-day trips to random historic cities or towns, rather than a legitimate vacations
-if your from the Connecticut River Valley, shadbakes...don't ask

Old 04-04-2010, 01:15 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
A lot of us NYers talk with our hands. It's typical of italians, but non-italians do it here too. Also, I got some strange looks down in Georgia for using a fork with chicken fingers and fries. It would seem rude up north to eat that with your fingers, at least where I'm from. Most people I know cut it up and use a fork.
Eating fries with a fork? What are you, too good to get your fingers greasy?

Eating pizza with a knife and fork is so wrong as well, imo.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:43 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,249,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Eating fries with a fork? What are you, too good to get your fingers greasy?

Eating pizza with a knife and fork is so wrong as well, imo.

I don't use a fork with fries, but many people here do. I only eat pizza with a knife and fork if it's really thick and heavy, like Chicago style. I was watching some pizza special on the Travel channel, and the places in NY were saying how we fold it and it's unique to NY. I always thought most people fold their pizza when eating it.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:02 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I gotta agree here. It seems like the "North" and "South" are always kind of splitting hairs with one another. Obviously it's just irrelevant to us West Coasters. Personally, I find it interesting though. That's just an outsider's perspective however.

Anyway, the poster who said honking wasn't really regional and was more urban/rural, I have to disagree. In Portland and Seattle you will get the dreaded DEATH GLARE if you honk unnecessarily, as well as risk passive-aggressive retaliation from nearby drivers. And don't forget about bike or pedestrian rage... I've seen it happen. I've done it actually to some dumb Washingtonian in a huge truck who cut me off in a crosswalk.
I don't get why people are SOO offended by honking. It's like you killed their mother or something! Horns are there for a reason! If someone is taking too long at the lights, you're within your rights to honk him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.