U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:12 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,887,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't get why people are SOO offended by honking. It's like you killed their mother or something! Horns are there for a reason! If someone is taking too long at the lights, you're within your rights to honk him.
Well, it's just rude and unnecessary really. I know of a couple short green turn lane lights here where I live (one in particular) that are followed by verrrrry long red lights and, at those lights, I will not hesitate to give a very short and quick "beep beep" to the person in front of me if I'm going to miss the turn. But otherwise, I would never just lay on the horn unless someone was going to immediately run into me if I didn't hoooonk at them. In rush hour traffic here I will usually hear one honk. Normally I'm not driving during rush hour and I can go days without hearing someone honk their horn. So, maybe that makes more sense that we'd get offended since people don't really honk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:40 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't use a fork with fries, but many people here do. I only eat pizza with a knife and fork if it's really thick and heavy, like Chicago style. I was watching some pizza special on the Travel channel, and the places in NY were saying how we fold it and it's unique to NY. I always thought most people fold their pizza when eating it.
It probably is, although certain weird people around the world probably do it . I know of nobody here who does that and when I saw that on TV I thought, 'would never have thought of that!'

Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Well, it's just rude and unnecessary really. I know of a couple short green turn lane lights here where I live (one in particular) that are followed by verrrrry long red lights and, at those lights, I will not hesitate to give a very short and quick "beep beep" to the person in front of me if I'm going to miss the turn. But otherwise, I would never just lay on the horn unless someone was going to immediately run into me if I didn't hoooonk at them. In rush hour traffic here I will usually hear one honk. Normally I'm not driving during rush hour and I can go days without hearing someone honk their horn. So, maybe that makes more sense that we'd get offended since people don't really honk.
It does depend...like there has to be a good reason for it. If someone honks me out of impatience, when there's no way I can really go any faster, then yes, I get annoyed, but when I've been dozing off and the light's been green for a few second I appreciate the wake-up.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:06 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,456,522 times
In ABQ,If I honk at someone its cause they are sitting at a green light too long, and I will only tap the horn maybe twice just to let them know, I think it is rude also if you just lay on the horn at them, or if someone almost hits me.

I'm originally from a small town so the only time people honk at each other is when they are honking at a buddy or family member trying to get their attention, I have never used my horn for any other reason in a small town and I have never been honked at before.

with the whole manners thing, Ive noticed that people from the NE want everything their way,they call names, get fussy, talk loud and argue, basically act like babies. The thing is I have actually met 2 different people from MA that were really cool people that did have manners and I know some people like to talk down on people from MA, but there is rude and nice people in every region, some just more than others.

Aside from the NE thing, it makes me mad when people drive fast through apartment complexes and parking lots, dont answer when you ask them a question, dont say please,thank you, or excuse me and cut infront of you or dont step aside so you can get through.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:30 PM

871 posts, read 1,957,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
Is the tendency to add an "apostrophe-s" on non plural words a Michigan thing? Midwestern?

For example: "I worked at Ford's for 30 years" or "We went to Target's to get shampoo".
what ive heard down hear is "i bought it at the kroger"

do any other parts of the country, when referring to their male siblings wherabouts, say "i wonder what brother louis is up to?"

Old 04-06-2010, 02:07 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,341,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't get why people are SOO offended by honking. It's like you killed their mother or something! Horns are there for a reason! If someone is taking too long at the lights, you're within your rights to honk him.
I know! I guess i'm the only one in my town that uses it! I lightly honked at a lady who was sitting at a green light and so she got pissed and stoped in the intersection! what a dumb ass! when she decided to keep driving like she should've I stayed behind her for a while and kept honking LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.