Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:16 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times

Advertisements

I wonder why he mentioned Knoxville. I haven't been there yet, but I thought it was supposed to be a nice place to live. Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 06:39 PM

611 posts, read 1,459,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I wonder why he mentioned Knoxville. I haven't been there yet, but I thought it was supposed to be a nice place to live. Am I missing something?
I have to vehemently disagree with the author about Knoxville. I haven't read the book to see his exact reasoning, but to call this one of the worst towns in America is a joke. Trust me - it's a great place.

Also, what's with putting Los Alamos, New Mexico on the list? Either I have bad taste (I used to live in Los Alamos), or this author is a dweeb. Was it the top-notch school system, the high standard of living, the beautiful scenery, the low crime rate, or the great weather that rubbed him the wrong way? Heck, there was a study done a few years ago and it concluded that Los Alamos offered the best quality of life in the country (link).

Seriously, this guy sounds like a tool.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:56 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I am sooo glad knoxville made the list. Maybe it will stem the tide of immigrants to our burg. Or at least limit it to people who can think for themselves.

Admittedly the downtown was pretty dead 5 years ago and that seems to be a criteria for the author.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:49 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
no Wexford, PA???????????????

Old 12-29-2008, 10:36 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Some of the most welcoming people I've ever met were from Kearny, New Jersey, so....... I disagree.
A mix of old school Irish & new school Hispanics getting along like peanut butter & jelly is a good thing in my book.
Maybe the author was looking for a soy latte cafe & got upset because he could not find one. I can understand how that would upset a yuppie though.......................
I was surprised to see Kearny on the list. It is a safe, working-to-middle class place that is close to employment centers such at NYC and downtown Newark.... I don't know why it deserves a place among the "worst" towns.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:37 AM

711 posts, read 2,107,950 times
Read the reviews on Amazon.com.

Here is one line out of one of the reviews;
"In this book's case, replace people with cities. (Though it should be noted the front flap states that the 50 cities here were "randomly chosen.")"

Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
seriously, you would have to be a douche if you write books insulting people's towns and making a list of the worst ones in the country. Even if he was respectfully to write a book like this, he could have named it, "Towns that need an improvement" or something. But to make a book on the "worst towns in America"? What a tool.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:13 AM

550 posts, read 2,169,000 times
Hildale, Utah is a given - it's run by polygamists, after all.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:16 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
seriously, you would have to be a douche if you write books insulting people's towns and making a list of the worst ones in the country. Even if he was respectfully to write a book like this, he could have named it, "Towns that need an improvement" or something. But to make a book on the "worst towns in America"? What a tool.
The book is obviously supposed to be border line controversial. I suppose the title was chosen to be eye catching and get people's attention.

Hey, he's got us all talking about it.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:17 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
it is true that Markham stinks, but it does have a major cook county courthouse and is a walk in the park compared to its' neighboring towns that deserve to be on this list like Harvey and Ford Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.