U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Fav Metro City
NYC 20 27.03%
LA 9 12.16%
Phili 9 12.16%
Chi Town 22 29.73%
Houston 14 18.92%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2008, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Teaneck, NJ
1,576 posts, read 5,143,890 times
Reputation: 683

Advertisements

i didnt even know this got on..

i was doin this thread for polls, but i wasnt sure how to do a poll.. so i pressed "submit thread" and then it did the polls.. but i just pressed back and thought forget it.. didnt know it went on.

but any way.. thats why i said "ETC". i was just naming a few towns for each at the top of my head and lookin at maps.

no need to get all pissy

and btw.. it said biggest cities by pop.. i didnt say biggest metros by pop.

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 12-27-2008 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2008, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,272,836 times
Reputation: 1819
Yeah, but it's naive to just name mostly NJ towns when you're talking about the NEW YORK metro area. You left out all of the NEW YORK suburbs lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Teaneck, NJ
1,576 posts, read 5,143,890 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, but it's naive to just name mostly NJ towns when you're talking about the NEW YORK metro area. You left out all of the NEW YORK suburbs lol.
Yonkers, White Plains, Mount Vernon

happy

its just a thread people
it was just that NJ is on the border of NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,272,836 times
Reputation: 1819
Uhhh, how about Long Island (just a few miles from the city), Rockland county, Putnam county, Orange county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Teaneck, NJ
1,576 posts, read 5,143,890 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Uhhh, how about Long Island (just a few miles from the city), Rockland county, Putnam county, Orange county.

Yonkers, White Plains, and Mount Vernon not good enough for you?

You want me to name all the towns you wanna here.. hence ETC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,272,836 times
Reputation: 1819
If anything, NJ is its own state. They need to stop thinking they're actually part of NY lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Teaneck, NJ
1,576 posts, read 5,143,890 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
If anything, NJ is its own state. They need to stop thinking they're actually part of NY lol.
so do i.
coming from a person from Newark, NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,867 posts, read 12,836,358 times
Reputation: 5799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
i didnt even know this got on..

i was doin this thread for polls, but i wasnt sure how to do a poll.. so i pressed "submit thread" and then it did the polls.. but i just pressed back and thought forget it.. didnt know it went on.

but any way.. thats why i said "ETC". i was just naming a few towns for each at the top of my head and lookin at maps.

no need to get all pissy

and btw.. it said biggest cities by pop.. i didnt say biggest metros by pop.
It's funny how upset people are getting over this. If they are so bothered by your thread than maybe they should start their own thread and put the cities that they like on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 PM
 
5,772 posts, read 13,752,280 times
Reputation: 4583
Seems that the issues being raised here could be avoided with some details about the criteria the OP is considering. The question of which are the top five cities is an example. It appears that the OP is using city proper population. Grapico's list of the top areas in population includes some CSA's and some MSA's. It's true that some of the metro areas listed there are not part of CSA's, so there is inherently a sort of apples-oranges comparison going on there.

All of this points up some of the issues in determining the best way to measure a city's population, but that's probably a topic for another thread. If the OP wants to specifiy city proper population, so be it, as long as there's some understanding of what we're talking about.

Since the question of a place's quality is subjective, it could also help this thread to have some criteria specified for ranking the best suburbs in each area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,867 posts, read 12,836,358 times
Reputation: 5799
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Seems that the issues being raised here could be avoided with some details about the criteria the OP is considering. The question of which are the top five cities is an example. It appears that the OP is using city proper population. Grapico's list of the top areas in population includes some CSA's and some MSA's. It's true that some of the metro areas listed there are not part of CSA's, so there is inherently a sort of apples-oranges comparison going on there.

All of this points up some of the issues in determining the best way to measure a city's population, but that's probably a topic for another thread. If the OP wants to specifiy city proper population, so be it, as long as there's some understanding of what we're talking about.

Since the question of a place's quality is subjective, it could also help this thread to have some criteria specified for ranking the best suburbs in each area.
I don't think it's that serious. No one is being graded on this. Just pick a metro and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top