U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:16 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,753,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I can just never get threads like this. I would love to travel to every place in the us, even if it is almost third world ghetto. That way, you would have a better understanding on the US and it's Citizens. I see travelling somewhere as a oppertunity to obtain knowledge I never would have had before.

People listing whole states can't be for real. Example, South Dakota. How could one really not want to visit the Badlands or the Black Hills? Their intellectual capacity to want to visit beautiful areas, or see amazing geology must really be very shallow. Some people are only happy in stripmalls in Wexford, PA though.
THANK YOU. Blows my mind that people would NOT want to go somewhere and I guess prefer to wallow in ignorance. What better way to expand your horizons than through travel?

That being said, the only places I would NOT want to go are those that would put my family's safety in danger. Otherwise, I'll go anywhere, at anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 12:19 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,753,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I can't think of any place, actually. My goal is to have visited and seen all 3141 counties in this great country before I die. I hope I succeed.
I knew you'd reply this way. I agree 100% (except don't drag me through a war zone ).

Old 12-29-2008, 12:38 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,341,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
THANK YOU. Blows my mind that people would NOT want to go somewhere and I guess prefer to wallow in ignorance. What better way to expand your horizons than through travel?

That being said, the only places I would NOT want to go are those that would put my family's safety in danger. Otherwise, I'll go anywhere, at anytime.
I only listed places that I have already been to and would not want to go BACK to. I agree that people need to go and experience different things in order to develop a greater understanding of different people, regions and just to learn about the country in general.

As for myself, I am not an outdoor person, so many of the "attractions" out there (such as national parks, etc.,) do not interest me much. I understand though, that for city folk, there is an inherent need to get back to nature.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-29-2008, 12:46 PM

11,972 posts, read 27,610,368 times
Anywhere south of I-80.

I kid!

That's more a slam on downstate Illinois than the south, by the way.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:58 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,613,607 times
It'd be easier making a list of the places in the US I would want to go. But I'll play by your rules.

Nowhere in the Southeast. My father is from LA, so I've been there and all the other Southern states and they simply are way too far from what a person like me likes. In Nasheville the people seemed pretty nice and smart, and I've heard that Ashville, NC is an okay place.

I think Arizona is becoming extremely overrated, so it's not high on my list. New Mexico's fine, and the only place in Texas I would even think about going is Austin. For obvious reasons.

I like the west coast, but SoCal doesn't seem ideal to me. But it isn't so bad that I wouldn't give it a visit.

Cross out the entire Midwest. Save Minneapolis, Chicago.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:05 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,876,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
It'd be easier making a list of the places in the US I would want to go. But I'll play by your rules.

Nowhere in the Southeast. My father is from LA, so I've been there and all the other Southern states and they simply are way too far from what a person like me likes. In Nasheville the people seemed pretty nice and smart, and I've heard that Ashville, NC is an okay place.

I think Arizona is becoming extremely overrated, so it's not high on my list. New Mexico's fine, and the only place in Texas I would even think about going is Austin. For obvious reasons.

I like the west coast, but SoCal doesn't seem ideal to me. But it isn't so bad that I wouldn't give it a visit.

Cross out the entire Midwest. Save Minneapolis, Chicago.

Austin... for obvious reasons???

Maybe you could expand on that thought, you have everyone in Houston and Dallas confused. Maybe it is the misconception that Austin is so much more liberal than the big cities in Texas? Maybe it is time to open your mind a little

Old 12-29-2008, 01:44 PM

177 posts, read 417,439 times
I don't think there is any place in the US I won't mind visiting at least for one day(in case I don't like the place or the KKK runs me out). The US is a beautiful country and there is always something to learn in every corner of this country.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:49 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,707,147 times
Here's a surefire test to determine if you are a halfwit:

1) Do you actually refuse to visit any state?

2) If you said, "Yes," then you are a halfwit. No ifs, ands, or buts. Yes, you may be smug about it in your latte-swilling way, and yes you may wear stylish clothing. But you are the intellectual kin to every knuckle-dragging, backwoods lackwit who ever resembled an extra in Deliverance.

Why? Because every state in this country is pretty cool in its own way. Even dinky states like Rhode Island and Delaware have some really amazing places, both natural and manmade. And every state has plenty of smart, engaging people. Now, they may not necessarily think the way you do, but isn't that kind of the fun of life?

Now, I sure as heck wouldn't want to live in Bimidji, Minnesota, in the middle of winter. And I wouldn't want to live in Needles, Arizona, in August. But there are more cool things to see and do in every state than you can possibly experience in a lifetime.

In short, life is a banquet, and you're starving to death. Get out and explore the country, and leave the superior attitude at home.

Last edited by cpg35223; 12-29-2008 at 01:59 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 01:53 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,876,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's a surefire test to determine if you are a halfwit:

1) Do you actually refuse to visit any state?

2) If you said, "Yes," then you are a halfwit. No ifs, ands, or buts. Yes, you may be smug about it in your latte-swilling way, and yes you may wear stylish clothing. But you are the intellectual kin to every knuckle-dragging, backwoods lackwit who ever resembled an extra in Deliverance.

Why? Because every state in this country is pretty cool in its own way. Even dinky states like Rhode Island and Delaware have some really neat places, both natural and manmade.

Now, I sure as heck wouldn't want to live in Bimidji, Minnesota, in the middle of winter. And I wouldn't want to live in Needles, Arizona, in August. But there are more cool things to see and do in every state than you can possibly experience in a lifetime.

In short, life is a banquet, and you're starving to death. Get out and explore the country, and leave the superior attitude at home.
Agreed, that it what I was trying to say in my posts on this thread. Get out and visit these places before you pass judgement rather than judgebased on what you supposedly "heard" from somebody who heard it from somebody. Talking to you hoarfest

Old 12-29-2008, 01:58 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,707,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Agreed, that it what I was trying to say in my posts on this thread. Get out and visit these places before you pass judgement rather than judgebased on what you supposedly "heard" from somebody who heard it from somebody. Talking to you hoarfest
Yep. Or drove through the place on the Interstate. Oh, yeah, THAT will tell you everything you need to know about a city or a state. It probably never occurs to these people that few towns are attractive from the Interstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or