U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 02:04 PM

177 posts, read 417,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's a surefire test to determine if you are a halfwit:

1) Do you actually refuse to visit any state?

2) If you said, "Yes," then you are a halfwit. No ifs, ands, or buts. Yes, you may be smug about it in your latte-swilling way, and yes you may wear stylish clothing. But you are the intellectual kin to every knuckle-dragging, backwoods lackwit who ever resembled an extra in Deliverance.

Why? Because every state in this country is pretty cool in its own way. Even dinky states like Rhode Island and Delaware have some really amazing places, both natural and manmade. And every state has plenty of smart, engaging people. Now, they may not necessarily think the way you do, but isn't that kind of the fun of life?

Now, I sure as heck wouldn't want to live in Bimidji, Minnesota, in the middle of winter. And I wouldn't want to live in Needles, Arizona, in August. But there are more cool things to see and do in every state than you can possibly experience in a lifetime.

In short, life is a banquet, and you're starving to death. Get out and explore the country, and leave the superior attitude at home.
I don't think traveling and exploring is for everyone. Some folks are just comfy where they are and I don't really believe it makes them any less smarter than someone who does travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 02:07 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,738,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShrek View Post
I don't think traveling and exploring is for everyone. Some folks are just comfy where they are and I don't really believe it makes them any less smarter than someone who does travel.
Yes, but that's not really the question is it? We're talking about people singling out areas of the country that they would not visit, no way, no how, if the airline tickets were pressed into their hands. And if they don't want to travel, then why answer the question in the first place?

Old 12-29-2008, 02:10 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,878,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShrek View Post
It does make them ignorant of alot of different cities though. If I drove the interstate 495 or rt 29 in Silver Spring and sees the chains and such without exploring they will think "God, there is nothing but big box strip malls here" when you as a resident knows differently. Same thing goes for my city Houston. People who have never been here (most of the bashers of H town have never been here) can't possibly know all the beautiful areas of this city or the vibrant nightlife and everthing else without going there.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:18 PM

294 posts, read 684,312 times
Houston may have industry and commerce, but it's a non-descript, sprawling suburb. Providence's violent crime rate is far less than Houston's (7.6 per 1000 in Prov. as opposed to 11.9 per 1000 in Houston- source: Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed).

Listen I've spent time in Houston, I met some great people there... but to knock Providence's character is crazy. Anyone who's been to providence and enjoys something other than strip-mall shopping and chain dining would know that.[/quote]

I grew up in PVD. Providence is a great small city, but it's tiny. The only real good thing about downtown is the mall, the river walk and the state capitol. And btw, Providence's suburbs (which are almost adjacent to downtown) are full of strip malls and are completely characterless. Just like anywhere else.

Last edited by Yac; 12-30-2008 at 03:50 AM..

Old 12-29-2008, 02:19 PM

177 posts, read 417,624 times
Quote:
Yes, but that's not really the question is it? We're talking about people singling out areas of the country that they would not visit, no way, no how, if the airline tickets were pressed into their hands. And if they don't want to travel, then why answer the question in the first place?
I get your drift. I think a lot of people have internalized geographical stereotypes and I feel that's why you see some of the types of posts we've seen in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
It does make them ignorant of alot of different cities though. If I drove the interstate 495 or rt 29 in Silver Spring and sees the chains and such without exploring they will think "God, there is nothing but big box strip malls here" when you as a resident knows differently. Same thing goes for my city Houston. People who have never been here (most of the bashers of H town have never been here) can't possibly know all the beautiful areas of this city or the vibrant nightlife and everthing else without going there.
It's funny you mentioned Houston. I just got back from Houston a week ago after a 2 week vacation in Houston. It was my first time in Houston but I loved every second of it. I plan on going out there again in 2009.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:20 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,242,279 times
For me, I'm open to going anywhere, except somewhere where the crime is high. I wouldn't want to be mugged on vacation, lol. But there are some places I wouldn't pay to go out of my way if they don't interest me in the least bit. There aren't many places like that though. I wouldn't pay to go to extremely remote places where there's nothing to see. I can drive 200 miles away from the city and do the same thing.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:20 PM

Every town has its own suburban shopping hell. Even the outskirts of such chi-chi places as San Francisco or Boston.

I would also offer that even cities with high-crime statistics have it mostly localized into select neighborhoods. After all, if you drive into the city limits of Detroit, East St. Louis, or Atlanta, you aren't going to be automatically attacked the second you pull into a gas station or McDonalds. You just learn what areas to avoid and then--gasp--avoid them.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:33 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,545,592 times
The only places I have no interest in visiting are those very backwards areas of any state where the people are

1) inbred
2) still fighting the Civil War
3) uneducated, uncivilized, and ghetto
4) too rural and isolated
5) as superficial, plastic, and pathetic as Orange County, CA appears
6) white trash or hillbilly or redneck
7) mainly Republican/Conservative/Neocon
8) living in a high crime area

Old 12-29-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
The only places I have no interest in visiting are those very backwards areas of any state where the people are

1) inbred
2) still fighting the Civil War
3) uneducated, uncivilized, and ghetto
4) too rural and isolated
5) as superficial, plastic, and pathetic as Orange County, CA appears
6) white trash or hillbilly or redneck
7) mainly Republican/Conservative/Neocon
Oh, look! Somebody who didn't pass my test!

Old 12-29-2008, 02:38 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,545,592 times
Quote:
Oh, look! Somebody who didn't pass my test!
Well, you know what they say. Takes a jackass to know a donkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or